Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2005, 08:40 PM   #1

Well, after a trailer, then a fifth wheel, then a trailer, we've decided that we're ready for a class c. We've done our homework, checked out all the manufacturers, floorplans, storage space, weights, etc. We've decided on a Jayco Greyhawk 30GS. Here's where we need some opinions. Knowing that dealers have a huge markup, we contacted two nearby dealers, and played them against each other to get the best deal. At this point, the best offered to us is about 18% off of MSRP. From reading this forum for a number of years, we think we should be able to get closer to 25% off. Are we being realistic?

We have also checked out RVDIRECT.COM, who can get us the same unit for 30% off of MSRP (which translates to almost $9000 difference out the door). BUT, we'd have to fly to Indiana and drive the new rig all the way home to California. Not counting the value of our time, I estimate the cost of the trip to be roughly $2000 (airfare, gas, and camping fees). Or, we could have the unit delivered to us for about $3000.

We are actually considering making this trip.

So, are we crazy? Should we reconsider buying locally? What would you do?

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2005, 08:40 PM   #2

Well, after a trailer, then a fifth wheel, then a trailer, we've decided that we're ready for a class c. We've done our homework, checked out all the manufacturers, floorplans, storage space, weights, etc. We've decided on a Jayco Greyhawk 30GS. Here's where we need some opinions. Knowing that dealers have a huge markup, we contacted two nearby dealers, and played them against each other to get the best deal. At this point, the best offered to us is about 18% off of MSRP. From reading this forum for a number of years, we think we should be able to get closer to 25% off. Are we being realistic?

We have also checked out RVDIRECT.COM, who can get us the same unit for 30% off of MSRP (which translates to almost $9000 difference out the door). BUT, we'd have to fly to Indiana and drive the new rig all the way home to California. Not counting the value of our time, I estimate the cost of the trip to be roughly $2000 (airfare, gas, and camping fees). Or, we could have the unit delivered to us for about $3000.

We are actually considering making this trip.

So, are we crazy? Should we reconsider buying locally? What would you do?

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #3

I think the first thing I would do is try and see if your local dealers will come close to matching the deal through RVDirect. If they cant, then I think I would find this a great opportunity for a camping trip. Since you live in Brentwood, have you contacted Richardsons RV in Temecula? They also carry the Jayco line. I dont think you are crazy for looking out of state. Especially if you end up saving alot of money. You do need to think about were you will take it if it needs some warranty repairs. I dont think that you should have a problem with that though. Good luck and happy camping.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:34 AM   #4

Baddwalk, thanks for the advice. We're actually in Brentwood in northern California (Half way between Sacramento and San Francisco). But, I suppose we should also check southern California, and possibly Nevada dealers, too.

Our local dealers knew we were considering rvdirect, and still couldn't/wouldn't come down any further. We were glad to hear one ask us to come back there for service regardless of where we buy, and to refer them to others. Nice people. Just not a nice price!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:05 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We got quotes from other dealers then came back to the dealer closest to us and they matched it..and saved us thousands in travel expenses.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Just one more thing to consider! Where will you get your warranty work accomplished? You may save a few thousand and spend a lot more in aggravation and delays if your local dealers baulk.

If you have followed some of the RV forums, there are numerous folks shut-out by the local dealer, when an out of town purchase was made.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #7

Good News. We found a dealer about 250 miles from here, who will sell it to us for $700 more than rvdirect (About 29% off of MSRP, and its a 2006!). That's a lot cheaper than four tickets to New York, and a week driving home! We're ordering it tomorrow!

I guess I can throw away that list I was making of necessary items to take on the plane to ensure that my rv would be minimally stocked for the road home......