Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

At what age or mileage do you start thinking it's time to trade?

I have a friend who is in the rv repair biz. He has always said that anywhere from 10 years old and older things start to fail. Things like reefers, hot water heaters and other smaller bug a boos start to show up.
Most people have a point they reach with their personal car or truck when the thought of trading in starts to creep in. With some it might be 100,000 miles.
So does anyone here have a point either miles or age when you start to think about time to trade in?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #2

I don't have a rule, but I can say that we are actively looking to replace our 15 yo unit. Are plans as of last month was to trade/sell then buy a new Newmar Baystar Sport. Events over the past few weeks have solidified that decision, assuming a good deal can be made. 15 year old roof AC goes caput and just replaced! Needs new thermostat which actually should be a package deal. New tires will be in the cards soon, so energy level to swap is increasing. Existing unit only has 47k miles so mileage is not an issue for us.

The only downside is I have to get over my distain for slides as the unit we are interested in has 3.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are way too many variables for me. Every coach will need dollars at some point. After reading about allot of the new gizmo's they put on RV's these days and the problems they have with them, I think I will wait awhile. We like our Horizon and are not looking to trade it anytime soon.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #4

We have a 2004 Country Coach that looks great, runs great and we love it. That said we own it and have no payments. So, over time we have replaced the tv's and the refrigerator. We are waiting for the convection oven to die at some point. So I guess as long as the cost of any replacements and service is less than the cost of a new loan we will keep the Country Coach.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No set rule. We wanted it, we could afford it so we did it!
Now we wish we hadn't as the DW was diagnosed with liver cancer a couple months ago. It is terminal but no idea how long that will be. Only cure is a transplant but that's a long shot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Now we wish we hadn't as the DW was diagnosed with liver cancer a couple months ago. It is terminal but no idea how long that will be. Only cure is a transplant but that's a long shot.
Let's hope for a miracle and that your family has the strength to help DW in the next few months. Best wishes and prayers for your family.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:30 PM   #7

No guideline for us to trade in. We are on our first RV and have owned it for 2.5 years (almost) it's a 94 Tioga and only had 28000 miles on it when we got it. We lucked out and everything was in great shape. A few minor repairs, but all good. Recently had professionals inspect our fridge, hot water tank, and propane system and all checked out good.

We plan on running her until she stops or unless something calls to us like this one did.

Enjoy!
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My wife is clean from her lymphoma cancer for 3 years now but we never shut the door on the possibility it may come back just as you shouldn't shut the door on the possibility of beating this.
Very best of luck to both of you!
Old 09-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

Ours was 15 years old with 40k miles . It had a vibration they couldn't fix. All new tires and brakes and still vibrated. So they gave up to buy a new one. I test drove and said yup it vibrates and they nearly gave it away. $ 520 later with a new bearings a cleaning and balancing of the drive shaft later we have a nearly new unit. They even gave us the tires they took off so we sold them and it covered the driveshaft cost.