Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #1

Automatic Leveler for class C

I am considering the purchase of an aftermarket automatic leveler when I buy my first RV. I heard it is not that necessary (I'm looking for a smaller 24' model). I do want to buy the roof mounted in motion satellite dish, so it seems the automatic leveler might be worthwhile, if I go to remote camp sites and I need to adjust my vehicle to avoid trees for optimal satellite reception. Again, I'm a first time buyer, so am I on the right track?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi, you are and you're not . We live in the NW, and most State Parks and RV parks are in the trees. Having is dish mounted on the roof is no good around this area. We have a strong tripod and mount our DirecTV HD dish to that. It's a pita, but you can move into the clear with another 50' of RG6 cable in almost any setting. Getting it set up and adjusted takes me 10 minutes if I'm lucky. Do keep in mind--the best Winegard HD roof mount weighs 75lbs! Check this site: TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod

If you tripod mount your dish, you don't need levelers--and maybe you don't need them anyway depending on your rig. Ours is on a E450 and hardly even moves when i enter via the steps--much more stable than our 35' Class A was with the levelers down. We do have factory installed $3500 Big Foot levelers and I would not buy them again. They are extremely rough--like they are meant for a pusher--they jerk when the feet hit the ground, and when they stop going down--it's enough to move a glass of water sitting on the counter. My wife leaves the moho when they are adjusting.

hth, Ron

rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:45 AM   #3

Just purchased a set of HWHs and had installed for 32 ft. Class C. Used them twice so far. Love them - even though the two places I have been were fairly level. However, we do visit state parks often and they typically are not level. Other benefit is the removal of bounce when being camped. Probably less of a issue for a smaller rig.

x2 on the permanently attached Sat. Trees can be a issue. Talked to someone who would turn the sat on before parking and then move the rig appropriately. For me, I bought the Winegard Carry-out. I can move any where I want...However, too many trees and and no go.

Hope that helps.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love our levelers

We added on our ez-levelers from Bigfoot about a year after we purchased our class c. It is the best thing I have done for our MH. It is a 31' MH so there is a lot of bouncing or moving if you do not let the air out of the bags. I no longer have to spend 30 minutes trying to get level by backing on to boards on a site. It is back in, hook up, level and throw a chair out and grab a beverage of your choice in about 5 minutes. The best part is my wife thinks they are great as well!!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
30 minutes to level??? Really, it is not that difficult.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #6

I had little bubble levels glued to the dash and under my side window of my C. I used four 2.5 foot 2x8 boards that could be ramped together (the long plastic ramps would work as well)

Got so I could tell how much to ramp for up to 3 corners by the bubbles.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe not that long

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
30 minutes to level??? Really, it is not that difficult.

It is a pain when you have to put levelers under 3 of the 4 tires and then when you don't have enough boards to get level. I always carried 3 sets of 4-2x12 at different lenths and have had it at different times when that was not enough to get level. We camp most often at Yankton, Sd and the sites there can be very uneven. The bigger pain was since we don't pull a toad and when we want to go somewere in the MH you had to relevel again when you came back to the site. Now I sit and watch a bubble with a remote in my hand and it takes all of 1-2 minutes. I am happy with my desicion, but each person has to make there own.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are off that much, levelers still won't get you level, unless you are putting pads under your levelers. If it is worth the $, by all means, buy the auto levelers, never said they were not cool.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker6 View Post
We added on our ez-levelers from Bigfoot about a year after we purchased our class c. It is the best thing I have done for our MH.
X2. Had our Bigfoot levelers installed at the factory this month and couldn't be happier. An excellent product, and nice people to deal with.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I had little bubble levels glued to the dash and under my side window of my C. I used four 2.5 foot 2x8 boards that could be ramped together (the long plastic ramps would work as well)

Got so I could tell how much to ramp for up to 3 corners by the bubbles.
I do miss our levelers that were on our A but what I am currently doing is putting a jack stand under one corner and 3 bottle jacks on the other 3 corners takes from 5 to 10 minutes depending on the site
Old 05-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #11

We have levelers on our 32ft C. Bigfoot automatic system. I've used them maybe six times so far, and they are working fine. Ours is a NeXus 32P - they put the control box on an extension so that you can stand outside the MH and push the buttons. Wasn't sure I liked the idea, but it is actually pretty useful. I assume they designed it this way to make it cheaper to install, not having to add a panel to the dash, etc.

I was used to levelers from our previous two Class A units, so this was an automatic add for us when we ordered the new MH.

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #12

I had HWH automatic control levelers installed on my 24 foot View. They work great. When I arrive I just put a jack pad under each jack, go inside and press the auto level button and it levels while I finish setting up inside. Very easy. If the site is noticeably unlevel, I will just double or triple the jack pads where it looks like I might need them and auto level does the rest. It completely takes out the bounce. HWH has jacks specifically made for Sprinter chassis.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker6 View Post
The bigger pain was since we don't pull a toad and when we want to go somewere in the MH you had to relevel again when you came back to the site.
RV wannabe here with a dumb question. Small C without a TOAD. Using it during the day to leave the site and park it at a trailhead, go to town, etc.

Do I have to level the rig at each stop? How level is level? Issue is the refrigerator, correct?

Thanks

Travelling With Black Labrador Retriever
szn8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newer frigs aren't required to be as level as older frigs. My manual says something like "if you comfortable sleeping, it's level enough. Personally we probably use our levelers on 30% of the time. If the rig doesn't look level, I'll take my 8" level and check the frig door open and closed and if it's more than half a bubble outside the lines I'll use the levelers. Otherwise our E450 chassis is stable enough--meaning it does rock and roll when someone walks.

So to answer your question--if your frig manual says what mine says---just follow it if you're happy with how stable your rig is, unless your site is clearly not level.

rondi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c