Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2019, 06:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
85.00 to $100.00 a month 28 ft cougar no
Sounds bout right to me..
Where else can you park for $100 per month with electricity included...
Pay the bill and be happy...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
That first bit probably explains most of it. They have no history of winter energy usage. Big shock when electric and gas both go up together, assuming gas is on the same bill (mine is, but don't know about your situation). But in the winter you (they) can expect electricity usage to go up as the days get shorter and heat is used. Spring and fall are the lowest for both electricity and gas where I am, and I'd assume N. Cali is similar, if not as cold.

With a tiered system, if your usage pushes into the next tier, it'll be more expensive than if their own usage was much lower, but of course there's no way to know how much is you and how much is them. Since you're the guest, the marginal increase is basically all you. Assuming the additional energy used is all or mostly in the highest tier.

You could add your own metering, either inside the coach, or at the receptacle you're using. Used electro-mechanical meters just like the ones on the side of the house are all over the place. Wire the receptacle ciruit to a meter box, then to the receptacle, and plug in a meter. Record the starting numbers and go from there. Those meters are 120/240V and will record every watt-hour your coach uses. Just make sure to read the starting numbers on the same day the meter reader or utility remotely reads it if it's a 'smart' meter (based on the date on the bill).

But personally, unless it's my own house, I'd probably opt to add a small internal meter to my own vehicle. Like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Mete.../dp/B00GMZRXE8

And there are many others, including those for 120V only. You could also use that small meter at the outlet you're plugged into, but then they'd own it.
Oooooh... New toy! I like the idea of putting one in the house re always curious in general how much I'm using.

There is no receptacle... Just using plugged into the house... Was thinking maybe that's part of the problem... But I still don't think they're taking into consideration their heat usage, etc, and it being the first winter
MoonLyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #17
Community Moderator

For the small electrical load you are using
you could use this inexpensive meter $20

And there is no installation required....just plug it in

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009MDBU..._YaCzCbP72W6VB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8200.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	235026
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #18

Cool! Does it read all usage or what's plugged into it???
Old 02-14-2019, 11:42 PM   #19

Scratching head...
How can his monthly bill double if you've only been plugged up a couple of weeks?
I would ask for a copy of the bill or at least see it. But then again, he will probably tell you to move if you question him. Just think of the 100$ as rent plus electric and be happy
roadkillgril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonLyght View Post

It reads what’s plugged in to it.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonLyght View Post
It will track daily KW usage and maybe more.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #22

I live in northwest Arkansas where is icy and snowy in temperatures in the twenties right now and my bill most usually runs $50 but I'm by myself. I run to electric heaters and with propane furnace but mostly 2 elec heaters. I use a 2-Burner propane stove for cooking and hardly ever use my microwave. I have all LED lights. I do not use a curling iron or hair dryer or any other big electric using devices, just charge my phone and run a little vacuum cleaner once a week most of my electric is from the two heaters and it runs about 50\60 bucks a month. I would definitely want them to show me on paper how it's doubled in price because of you being hooked up. Best of luck to you
speedydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #23

A single space heater on medium (1000W for a guess), 8 hours per night, would be 8kWh per day. 14 days is 112kWh. $0.20/kWh (northern CA, and also just a guess) would be $22.40 for two weeks, or about $48.00 (4.35 weeks per month, on average).

Scale it up or down from there based on wattage, hours, and/or marginal rate (with taxes and delivery charges and all that), but $100 for two weeks sounds pretty high to me. Unless their gas is also on the bill, and they've been running the heat a lot. Then yeah, their bill will go up a lot, but not all from your usage alone.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #24

I use a space heater once in a while as my furnace likes to switch to cold air, but that's only been 3 or 4 times, at 750w
Old 02-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Utility MIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You could very well run up a $100.00 bill depending on the KWH cost of electricity. My house I pay $.11 per KWH. At camp I pay $.24 per KWH. My camp in on commercial rate. yours may be also.

At camp my bill (2 people) is around $65.00 per month. We use propane for HW, cooking, and heat.
10+ Years ago, relative bought house to flip, first month no work, but had utility connection and MINIMUM BILL was $65 w/ ZERO CONSUMPTION (just having connection incurs MIN)
Old 04-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #26

Ask to see a few monthys of electric bills proir to your hooking up, and compare to bills after you arrived. The difference is all you. Pay up.
And by the way, electric heaters are energy hogs. Even if only using at night.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric