Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #1

Talking Average electric costs...

Hi Everyone

So, I'm Moon with The Lemonade Stand ������. I checked and didn't find anything re this question, so thought I'd ask ������

For those who stay long term in rv parks, what is you're average electrical cost re shore power per month? And I know this could vary widely based on amount of equipment turned on, lights used (LED vs incandescent), etc, etc. I'm just looking for a range... Particularly if you're around Northern California...

I know! But I've got someone that has let me tie in to they're electricity for the past couple of weeks, trying to tell me that I've doubled their monthly bill by over $100, and I'm not even plugged in during the day ������.

We seriously do not run lights much (have battery powered LED lights)... And I'm pretty dang sure that we haven't used as much electric as a 5 bedroom house, with 7 people living in it ������... Buuuuut I could be wrong... First time I've lived in an rv ����

The most we've ran is the heater at night, and then we only keep that set to 60° and we turn it off as soon as we get up in the morning. They, on the other hand, blast their heater on 80 all day, as well as lights, 4 television 24/7 (is a multi member, so I really do know)... Etc.

Heeelp! ������ And did I mention that we're not even home much re school, appts, etc?!?

P. S. No, I'm not trying to avoid paying... But I do not believe I should be paying everyone 's bill... ��
MoonLyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #2

And song since signature doesn't appear to have populated...

We have a 1984 Jamboree Rallye
460 7.5L
27'

Most seems to be original equipment, other than the fridge, which is a Dometic dbl door Americana that was installed in 1999.������
Old 02-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I believe those numbers could be correct ... Easy to figure but In our MH at the current park and 13 cents per KWH our bill is $100 -200 depending on A/C or Electric heat use.100 if not used and more if we do. If you have a absorption fridge (gas) that automatically switches to electric when plugged in its a big draw also.. much more than a residential. RV 's are not energy efficient by any means.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #4

I think it's time for you to move. [emoji293][emoji293][emoji293][emoji293][emoji293][emoji293][emoji293][emoji293][emoji293][emoji293][emoji293][emoji293][emoji293]
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #5

You could very well run up a $100.00 bill depending on the KWH cost of electricity. My house I pay $.11 per KWH. At camp I pay $.24 per KWH. My camp in on commercial rate. yours may be also.

At camp my bill (2 people) is around $65.00 per month. We use propane for HW, cooking, and heat.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #6

I have an all electric couch, no propane. I use my A/C when it’s hot and my AguaHot for heat when it’s cold. Aqua Hot is on both electric and gas. I hook on an electric induction stove top. My normal electric bill is about $75 a month. I have been paying $85 lately. Sometimes I go over $100 but rarely.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

Florida (northern) average of $110/mo mixed heat and air.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #8

We camp on a lot in Arkansas and during the summer with both ACs running almost 24/7, our bill averages about $75/month. But, it's Entergy's 'Service Fee' that is a large portion of the bill - usually a flat fee of $55. Then, add on some dollars for other fees and taxes. The actual kWh charge is usually a small percentage of the costs.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Is your heat, fridge, and water heater all set to use propane ?

If that’s the case, then the power draw from your RV would only be a small amount to charge the batteries.

Google says Los Angeles pays an average of 18.4 cents
per kWh

I’m making a wild guess that you might use

10 kWh per day

10 x .184 = $1.84 per day

1.84 x 30 = $55.20

I would bet you are using less power than this though
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #10

85.00 to $100.00 a month 28 ft cougar no
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonLyght View Post
So, I'm Moon with The Lemonade Stand ������. I checked and didn't find anything re this question, so thought I'd ask ������
What's with all the question marks inside diamonds? They're annoying. But I'll try to help anyway.

Absorption refrigerators are huge power hogs when run on electricity. My Norcold four-door (two for refrigerator and two for freezer) uses about 6 kwh/day (about 4x as much as a residential refrigerator).

In my coach, if I'm not using any climate control (heat or air conditioner), with my Norcold and the water heater on electric, I very consistently use about 15 kwh/day.

But you said you're not plugged in during the day; are you literally unplugged, so it's impossible for you to use any electricity?

I also believe some of California has tiered electric rates, where the cost goes up the more you use. If your host was right on the edge of a tier, then almost all of your electricity would cost more per kilowatt hour than what he's paying for his.

Since price per kilowatt hour varies so much across the country (and within a single meter if it has tiered rates), it's really more useful to talk in terms of kilowatt hours than dollars. See if you can find out how much your host's actual usage has increased, especially over the same period a year ago, if the weather was generally the same.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its California, that's why we left and moved to Texas, residential we were paying $0.30 to $0.58 a kw/hr and that was with ac radio cutoff's ,Texas $0.12 kw/hr with FREE electric 6 PM Friday night to midnight Sunday it's not a typo FREE! Love Texas! Competition is what drives the price we can choose 5 different electric companies, although not FREE you still pay the transmission fee based on kw, generally 1 to 2 bucks for Saturday and Sunday
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:28 AM   #13

Thanx Everyone for the help/info!!!

Seems like the higher rates include a/c use, etc, so I'm thinking we should be around the 55$ mark, which is what I was planning for.

To answer some of the queries...

For some reason, the fridge only runs on gas (having that checked tomorrow) ... Haven't been able to light the hot water heater yet as I need to replace the water inlet valve (when the rain stops long enough)... Stove and furnace are gas, but I'm only "cooking" once a day, and heater is always set at 60° at night... We don't use it during the day.

I use 12v during the day, and plug in at night re outlet use... But sometimes we don't even do that because we forget (all new processes here for us).

I'm going to be checking the books and comparing with them... This winter is DEF-initely cooler than party year, AND they just bought /moved into this house in June... so it's their first winter here.

Los Angeles' rates are higher, so should be less...

California does have a tiered system... Hadn't thought about that. I know they're always over the mark... Could definitely be a contributing factor :-/

And my goal is to move us to a park, but there's a lot of things to be fixed before I can do that, including an oil pan leak, transmission house leak, and power steering unit that leaks ��

And sorry re ? In the diamonds, Oatmeal... I like emojis, but the system didn't seem to like my choices :-D

Again... THANK YOU, Everyone! I've never been particularly good at the number game (translate to: give me a calculator and I'll be fine :-D)... Got me some more learnin' to do <3
Old 02-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonLyght View Post
. . . they just bought /moved into this house in June... so it's their first winter here.

<snip>

California does have a tiered system...
That first bit probably explains most of it. They have no history of winter energy usage. Big shock when electric and gas both go up together, assuming gas is on the same bill (mine is, but don't know about your situation). But in the winter you (they) can expect electricity usage to go up as the days get shorter and heat is used. Spring and fall are the lowest for both electricity and gas where I am, and I'd assume N. Cali is similar, if not as cold.

With a tiered system, if your usage pushes into the next tier, it'll be more expensive than if their own usage was much lower, but of course there's no way to know how much is you and how much is them. Since you're the guest, the marginal increase is basically all you. Assuming the additional energy used is all or mostly in the highest tier.

You could add your own metering, either inside the coach, or at the receptacle you're using. Used electro-mechanical meters just like the ones on the side of the house are all over the place. Wire the receptacle ciruit to a meter box, then to the receptacle, and plug in a meter. Record the starting numbers and go from there. Those meters are 120/240V and will record every watt-hour your coach uses. Just make sure to read the starting numbers on the same day the meter reader or utility remotely reads it if it's a 'smart' meter (based on the date on the bill).

But personally, unless it's my own house, I'd probably opt to add a small internal meter to my own vehicle. Like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Mete.../dp/B00GMZRXE8

And there are many others, including those for 120V only. You could also use that small meter at the outlet you're plugged into, but then they'd own it.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric