Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Awnings - Using on shore - wind problems

We camp on the riverfront most of the summer. When the tides come in so does the wind - in gusts - we have had problems with gusts lifting the awning fabric up and down. We always lower it when this happens but would like to be able to use it even in windy conditions. Does anyone have suggestions for anchoring an awning down to combat this problem? We have used 4 of the awning anchors that you clamp on the awning arms....that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Marian,

Here are a few things, that I have been taught, that seems to work well. I've ended up leaving the awning up, during squals (I wasn't there) and came back worried but found everything fine.

I have a Carefree, your awning might be a little different. I pull out the awning then the arm Rafters. But before I tighten the rafter knob I put some of my weight on the end of the arm (right where the latch is to roll up the awning) to tighten the canvas. While I am holding the awning down, I tighten the rafter knob. Do the same to the other side. Then I put my awning clamps on (I use four too). After that I lift the awning.

If I know which way the wind will be coming, I tip the awning on that side (like you do for rain) to help the wind go over the top of the canvas instead of below to lift it up.

I also use awning anchors. If you are parked on/near grass/dirt, you just screw them in and then run your line to the end of each side of the awning. If you are parked on a hard surface, you can use two, 5 gallon, water carriers, like these: Coleman - 5 Gallon Expandable Water Carrier -

The more weight, the less chance of the wind picking up the awning. You can also use milk jugs but I've found these to be easier as you can just empty out the water, when you are leaving, then it makes it easy to store them for the next time you need them. I've found them on sale for 5.99 so you are not out-of-pocket very much for a few of them.

I do not know how strong the winds are, where you park, but this has worked very well for me and while other people's awnings were lifting up, mine has stayed in place.

Sheila

~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #3

Thank you Sheila! Your suggestions sound good to me and we will try them this week end....

Marian
Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Marian,

Hope that it works for you!

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote