Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Cool B300 360 engine motorhome

Hi,

I thought I'd ask around for some ideas before going on a crazy marathon of replacing things.

Yesterday we went for little camping and 10 minutes into the drive the rig stalled on a red light. I had another vehicle to give it a boost and started driving. Another red light it stalled, another boost.

Now stopping at the rv camp ground, to register and being in part not a problem. As soon as I popped it into drive, it died, needed a boost.

This morning, trying to start it. Didn't seem it wanted to click. I heard the started, but then it died, then turning the key, nothing not even the tick sound from the started.

So it could be the started but then why does it die on idle or simply going from park to drive. It could be the batter, it could be the alternator, it could be the started.

Anyone with more experience around this field can suggest where I start with test? I can tell you also that about a week ago, while doing a clean up in the rig, I had the radio on and in about half hour it turned off. I thought ohhhh battery died, but then, the radio came on and off, on and off, on and off... Strange.

Any ideas seriously where I can start with what test would be appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Btw; it's a 1978 Winnie Sportsman 360 engine.... Kids loved it, first time camping

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing I'd look at would be the battry connections.
Then battery age.....

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Agreed that the battery connections may be dirty. There is a miracle battery cleaner that you can get almost anywhere. It is called Coke-a-cola. Pour half a can on each battery terminal. Check to make sure that the battery is connected securely and on the negative side make sure that it is also tight. If the battery cables have excessive rust you may want to grab a set.

Stalling at a light may suggest that your alternator may not be charging and if a simple jump start gets you going you may need a new one. If you are mechanically savvy the removal isn't a major project you can take it to your local auto parts store and have it tested for free in most cases. If it is bad they should have it in stock. Most auto parts stores have a device that test them but they generally need it to be taken off. If you aren't you can take it to them and they may be able to test it while it is running.

The battery if it is bad enough can cause you to stall and not start. If the battery is new and the alternator is good you may have a draw on the battery while the RV is not running. There are a number of other reasons but lets try the easy and cheap fix first.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thank you for all the suggestions. I run a meter on the battery and noticed a 10.5 which I believe shout be a 12.8, right? The alternator gives a jumping 12.5 I'm guessing that's ok? The battery with vehicle not running should be at 12.8 minimum, well on a car. In my truck when it's off it's a 12.8 but running its 14.2. Should running the battery be at 14.2?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbones View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions. I run a meter on the battery and noticed a 10.5 which I believe shout be a 12.8, right? The alternator gives a jumping 12.5 I'm guessing that's ok? The battery with vehicle not running should be at 12.8 minimum, well on a car. In my truck when it's off it's a 12.8 but running its 14.2. Should running the battery be at 14.2?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yup I would say a new battery is in order...
Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
The alternator output should be at 13.8 Or slightly higher. And after sitting for 20 minutes or so the battery should drop to the 12.6 volt range. A good check of the chassis electrail system is in order.

Tags
motorhome