Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
RJ2

B6 bilsteins donít work on 24j winnebago

Was just informed by Bilstein factory tech . Bilstein does not have a B6 HD shock
That will work on a sprinter Winnebago 3500 chassis. Was just about to order one on shock warehouse showed one available for that coach . But when I ask the tech there he said , yes , Bilstein does not offer a shock for the dual wheel vechicles , accept for a OEM B4..... so much for all the reviews on how good the B 6 shocks are on the Virws . Itís a mystery to me. They come up at the websites , but when questioned , they say (admit ) they are not recommended for the 3500 dual wheel Winnebago. Another mystery solved. Just want to get rid of the sway and still have MB warranty.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #2

I see you have a 2016 model, need to mention that because the shocks for the '02-'06 Sprinter chassis is different than '07 and up models.

In any case, Koni's are excellent shocks, and will help greatly with your issues.

Might consider joining the View/Navion forums on Yahoo Groups as they are the oldest and are specific to the View and Navion and have very many owners to offer sound advise.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/View-Navion/info

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...avionTech/info

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ViewNavionMods/info

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #3

I have a set of Konis that willl fit your rig. They have about 100 miles on them. You can have them if you pay for shipping from Arizona.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
RJ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHB View Post
I have a set of Konis that willl fit your rig. They have about 100 miles on them. You can have them if you pay for shipping from Arizona.
Well thank You very much . That is certainly a nice thing. Right now
We are planning a little stay at ft Desota, hopefully I can run into some
People that can share experiences with the sway fix . Just want to be able to let the wife drive comfortably,
Have the aftermarket warranty and whatís left of MB , trying to find out if the Sumos will affect those.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You are probably more in need of a rear sway bar than you are of new shocks. Hellwig and Roadmaster are two brands to check out. Neither will void your Mercedes warranty. Others have also added Sumo springs.

I'm curious as to what you are calling sway. I have a 2017 Navion 24V that is very solid on the road. It likes wind and big trucks and really doesn't twitch too much rolling down the road. I feel no need to make suspension modifications at this time.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
RJ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
You are probably more in need of a rear sway bar than you are of new shocks. Hellwig and Roadmaster are two brands to check out. Neither will void your Mercedes warranty. Others have also added Sumo springs.

I'm curious as to what you are calling sway. I have a 2017 Navion 24V that is very solid on the road. It likes wind and big trucks and really doesn't twitch too much rolling down the road. I feel no need to make suspension modifications at this time.
I love driving it . But it does sway with passing trucks , or following a truck draft. The worst is trying to turn in driveway or for fuel station entrance . I would feel more comfortable tighning it up for the wife to maybe drive .i knew this ,going into it ,deciding on a VIA or A view. Both lean toward a smooth comfortable cruising ride , rather than a firmer stable ride. That was actually quoted to me at
The MB dealer .
Old 11-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2 View Post
I love driving it . But it does sway with passing trucks , or following a truck draft. The worst is trying to turn in driveway or for fuel station entrance . I would feel more comfortable tighning it up for the wife to maybe drive .i knew this ,going into it ,deciding on a VIA or A view. Both lean toward a smooth comfortable cruising ride , rather than a firmer stable ride. That was actually quoted to me at
The MB dealer .
I put Koni's on the rear of my View 24v but what made all the difference was the Sumo Springs they completely changed the ride and I was able to install all 4 in about an hour.

https://www.supersprings.com/instruc...SSF-106-40.pdf

https://www.supersprings.com/instruc...SSR-338-47.pdf
Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
It funny what people perceive as sway and others just think it is normal. I have no problem with passing trucks. You know their bow wave is going to push you to the right and the vacuum behind them is going to suck you to the left. If you learn to ride with it, it isn't a problem. For myself, it doesn't bother me.

The easiest way to fix driveways is SLOW DOWN. You are not driving a car and a MH is going to misbehave going over side to side transition because of its high center of gravity. It will negotiate these transitions if you go slow. So with experience and driving style modifications you can spend your money on fuel and camping fees. Just my two cents.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #9

Some make/models of trucks push hard, others are almost not noticeable. Mine was quite white knuckle to drive (earlier type Sprinter chassis but quite similar to later models underneath) and mine already had a Roadmaster replacement bar on the rear. In the end new Koni Reds set to full stiff on the rear did the most good, turned it into one hand driving. The 3T air bags that WBO had installed were leaking and I replaced them and they made a major difference also. I added Koni Reds to the front and that was mostly a waste as it made no real difference.

The factory shocks were ten years old and had about 20K miles since new and were "slap wore out" as you could hold them in your hands and pump them in and out like an accordion player with his instrument.

I don't think the factory shocks are up to that heavy coach swaying on them all the time and it eats them up fast.

The Helwig sway bar is heavier than the Roadmaster (1Ĺ inch vs 1-3/8, vs 1ľ for OEM) but a good many of View/Navion people with them have had issues with the bolts on the U brackets either loosening or shearing (with the Helwig bar), mostly on the early sprinters (T1N models), but also on the later (NCV3 models also).

Nothing is going to fix going over curb cuts, if you make the suspension stiff enough for control on the road, potholes, trucks, etc, then it is so stiff it throws you all around on a curb cut, and if you make it soft for the curb cut, its no good on the road.

I'd say start with shocks on the rear first.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
RJ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2 View Post
The MB dealer .
I was a night trucker going though college. I will say I love the way it drives on the open road, on a stretch of highway with now sharpe curves passing trucks, or whatís worse is having to line up behind a truck . The fact remains , not comfortable letting the wife drive , even though she has gone through driving school . If I get a pickup that isnít a 3500, the first thing I do is sways and airbags, just so I have a little control if a dilemma occurs .
Old 11-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #11

I have driven a number of Views and rest assured this Mercedes chassis has sway problems, the frame is maxed out spring and tire wise. if you think the View is OK, then you've never driven bigger and better coaches.

I'm not in any way saying the coach is broke or not driveable, you just have to deal with it on roads with steep pitch, windy days, trucks or if you happen to run off the shoulder.

While better shocks and heaver sway bars help - it won't stop the problem. As long as those rear tires are inboard of the sidewall and the coach is around 12 feet high its going to sway.

The View is never going to track like other bigger chassis coaches with 19-22" tires with a wider track. I have a Nexus 32SC with an international chassis and it has no sway at all, yet I have owned larger coach's that had a problem.

Regards Mike
Old 11-20-2017, 01:01 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a '08 View on your same chassis. I have the Koni shocks on the rear and Sumosprings on all 4 corners. Handling improved the most for us with the Sumos. What was most noticeable was the reduction of body roll / lean on corners and roads with sagging asphalt near the fog line. It went from scary to much more "van like". Entering or exiting parking lots is still a sway experience. I just take curb cuts like that slowly. The Sumos were the best upgrade of the two for us.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHB View Post

I have a 17í View 24V. In Pinetop. Are you close?

Tags
winnebago