Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

Angry Bad mattress in new motorhome

Just traded for a new shorty motorhome and boy did we make a big mistake. The Isata 3 has 2 slides and the back slide is the bedroom. In order for the slide to come in, the mattress folds about in half. The mattress is an I-cool foam and is the most uncomfortable thing we have ever slept on. The mattress is joined where it bends and there is a dip which causes a bad backache. We can't replace the mattress as each half is a different thickness. Also the bed is not a walk around, very hard to make.
Anyone know a good renovator who could maybe fix this slide out problem
or have any other suggestions? We really love many features, but this may not be solveable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What about an dual chamber air bed? You could let the air out before pulling the slide in and re-inflate when out.
We bought a sleep number bed because my wife was paralyzed every morning when she got up. That solved our issue completely, but don't know if it could be "folded" without voiding the warranty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #3

We have a Sunseeker with a similarly configured bed. Our mattress is also not the most comfortable but it doesn't fold. It is a 2 piece design and when the bed comes in one half of the mattress slides up and over the other half. The "seam" is cut at 45 degrees and overlaps the other piece when deployed, so no dip and is hardly noticeably when laying on it. I am hoping in time the foam will get broken in and not be so hard. Other option is a topper but would rather not have another thing to try lug around. You may find a local mattress company that can make a special mattress.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #4

bad mattress

Thanks for the suggestions. Dynamax says that mattress is the only one that fits. That's no help. We are looking at any and all options. May just have to trade for a different motorhome as we can't endure much more of this. Will post a solution if we can find one.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
There is a custom bedding company in Elkhart Indiana that does RV special orders. They will custom make just about any size, thickness, and configurations.
There website is Elkhartbedding.com
The people there are very good to deal with, have had a lot of friends with RV's and Campers get work done by them,
Worth a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #6

bad mattress

Thank you for the help. Will contact them ASAP. Chappie
Old 10-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
Thank you for the help. Will contact them ASAP. Chappie
U bet Chappie!
Let me know what you find out....
Old 10-07-2016, 12:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Any cost of a bed that you can get that will work to your tastes is far more affordable than trading your coach. Best wishes that it works out.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

bad mattress

Been looking at a lot of short MB motorhomes and the Thor Gemini or Compass seems to have the solution to the folding mattress we have in our Isata. I am talking to a renovator about this possible correction to our Isata so hope they can upgrade our bed and we can get a normal interspring firm mattress. I will post the solution as soon as we have one. Thanks to all the good suggestions.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #10

As an engineer, I just cannot understand why they would think that designing something that way would be ok.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #11

You might look into a quality 2 or 3" topper. You can buy a descent topper at big box stores and trim them with an electric knife or something similar. It may be a pain during the day, but it should help at night.
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:17 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We have a 2700RS Coachman . I don't know anything about other rigs.
This slide is backfacing and the mattress must be folded up for it to be pulled in.
I too have experienced discomfort because being a relatively tall man my butt falls right over the 45 degree break in the foam. One day I was looking in the side facing dressing mirror/closet fronts while I was laying there and was able to see quite clearly that the mattress doesn't completely close the bending fold when in position. In fact it leaves a couple of inches of open space at the bottom!
So at this time I am at the what to do about it phrase. I am thinking of getting a wedge shape of foam to close the open gap and try it. The wife wants to go with a topper but I see more problems folding it up. Am reading with interest any and all suggestions that appear here in this thread.

Tags
motorhome