Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #1

Bad Springs? Need advice.

Our Class-C feels like it's going to roll over on turns. Very scary. It's a 28' 1993 Ford Dutchman. Pulling out of our driveway and turning right, she bogs to the left, then back to the right, then the left... and finally levels out. It's like a carnival ride.

What could be causing this? Bad springs? Shocks problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Shocks control how much the springs... well.. spring. New shocks should stop it from going back and forth. Springs rarely wear out, shocks often can.
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo View Post
Shocks control how much the springs... well.. spring. New shocks should stop it from going back and forth. Springs rarely wear out, shocks often can.
We're going to have to take it to our mechanic and have the shocks replaced. It appears the last owner of this rig did not maintenance at all, though it runs great.

Had we known all the problems it has we wouldn't have bought it. Even those with experience can be ripped off. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed. This week we're hoping to replace all the cracked and holey, yes HOLEY vent covers where the rain just pours in. We'll also add a FantasticFan w/vent cover. We have the coating stuff to redo the neglected roof. We bought lots of Eternabond. We have a huge tarp over her right now. We fixed one part of the rotted out floor and rotted wall in the front. It was hidden by the sofa. The corner of the bathroom floor has to be replaced. My foot went right through it when I stepped by the sink. None of this was obvious when we went to look at the rig, with the exception of the cracked vent covers and ripped awning.
One of the draws in the bedroom is broken and a kitchen draw wont open. The microwave that looks fairly new doesn't work nor does the electric outlet outside the rig. The leak over that part of the roof may have shorted something out. The awning we knew was bad and so already bought a new one. The generator appears to be fine - so far.

All the $hade$ were broken and need restringing. He led me to believe they were just tied up out of the way a$ he was going to work on the rig. Lie$. He lied about almost everything. All but one were broken and all are dirty, faded and di$colored. We removed them all. I'll probably replace them all with curtain$.

It'$ like a money pit....... a large money pit.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear that your having so many issues. It's usually expected to miss a few minor things on your walk around, unfortunately yours don't seem very minor. It's a shame the previous owner was less than honest. It seems you and hubby are well versed in many repairs, so at least the costs can be kept down since your experienced RV'ers. Your on the right track to get it water tight first then repair according to most important to least.
Your elecrical issue with the microwave and outside plug may be a GFI wall socket that has tripped. That is the type of outlet with the reset switch in the middle. I have read on this site that some coaches have them in other places besides the bathrooms. When my bathroom one tripped, it also cut off a couple of other sockets. Hopefully thats the case with yours.
Try to stay positive and rest assured in knowing that when your done, it will be done right and to your satisfaction.
Good luck and safe travels my friend.... Jason
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In addition to shocks, check the sway bars and their linkage.

Girlfriend 1.0 had a car that did that till I re-attached the sway bar linkages, then it settled right down.

Girlfriend 2.0 becaome Wife 1.only
Old 09-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo View Post
Sorry to hear that your having so many issues. It's usually expected to miss a few minor things on your walk around, unfortunately yours don't seem very minor.
Exactly, and they were so well hidden there was no way to know they where there until we got it home and got a good rain. Then, removing the sofa bed revealed the rotted out sidewall and corner of the floor. It was obvious this section had been repaired in the past. When doing a walk-through when buying a rig you can't know some of these things because you can't spray water on the roof or pull out the furnishings. Oddly enough, there were no stains on the ceiling or walls. In such an old rig we did expect to do some repairs but this is more than we wanted to deal with. We will get done eventually, one day at a time.

Quote:
It's a shame the previous owner was less than honest. It seems you and hubby are well versed in many repairs, so at least the costs can be kept down since your experienced RV'ers. Your on the right track to get it water tight first then repair according to most important to least.
We're hoping to stop all the leaks as soon as we possibly can. The roof actually had a small hole over the rear bedroom, probably caused by a tree branch allowing the rain to run right inside the ceiling and down onto the bed. All this will be repaired.

Quote:
Your elecrical issue with the microwave and outside plug may be a GFI wall socket that has tripped. That is the type of outlet with the reset switch in the middle. I have read on this site that some coaches have them in other places besides the bathrooms. When my bathroom one tripped, it also cut off a couple of other sockets. Hopefully thats the case with yours.
If we have a GFI in this rig, I haven't seen it. We have to pull out the microwave as it's plugged in somewhere behind itself. There may be a GFI hidden back there, but that wouldn't make much sense as it would be very difficult to reset. The outside outlets are powered from somewhere behind the refrigerator - on that wall. Where would a GFI switch be for it?

Quote:
Try to stay positive and rest assured in knowing that when your done, it will be done right and to your satisfaction.
Good luck and safe travels my friend.... Jason
Yes, I know I need to remain positive. But it's hard sometimes....

We both really like this rig and it's layout. We're planning a long cross-country trip in her so she has to be repaired and made dependable. And with new curtains and a fresh paint job, she will one day soon be an attractive old gal.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
In addition to shocks, check the sway bars and their linkage.

Girlfriend 1.0 had a car that did that till I re-attached the sway bar linkages, then it settled right down.

Girlfriend 2.0 becaome Wife 1.only
I put that on the note to take to the Shop for the mechanics to check out. We have a good place where we take our vehicles. I want the brakes looked at also although they seem OK. And maybe we'll replace the old engine hoses and belts as they have to be as old as the rig.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I assume "draw" means "drawer"?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote