Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #1

Barn queen or potential nightmare?

There’s a Lazy Daze 2001 for sale that has 11,000 original miles. Supposedly was under a carport most of its life. All service records.the first owner left it to his brother in-law who has had it a couple years. Predictably he had early issues requiring new fuel pump,belts,hoses,batteries and tires. Ongoing problems with the generator which has 40 hrs. And the automatic step doesn’t function. Photos look good. Some paint blisters in about five small quarter sized spots halfway up the rear ladder. I know I need to make sure there’s no water infiltration. What do you think. High risk of ongoing problems or chance of getting a nearly new coach with thousands of miles of road ahead?
goldbehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbehen View Post
There’s a Lazy Daze 2001 for sale that has 11,000 original miles. Supposedly was under a carport most of its life. All service records.the first owner left it to his brother in-law who has had it a couple years. Predictably he had early issues requiring new fuel pump,belts,hoses,batteries and tires. Ongoing problems with the generator which has 40 hrs. And the automatic step doesn’t function. Photos look good. Some paint blisters in about five small quarter sized spots halfway up the rear ladder. I know I need to make sure there’s no water infiltration. What do you think. High risk of ongoing problems or chance of getting a nearly new coach with thousands of miles of road ahead?
You are asking the wrong group.[Mod Edit] Good Luck.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffeys View Post
Disagree. Time wears down all things, regardless of brand.

To the OP I would say this: Everything that could rot or dry out probably has. Your challenge is to determine whether all those things have been replaced on someone else's dime or not. If they haven't...

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post
Disagree. Time wears down all things, regardless of brand.
Steve
Of course. The main issue in buying an older coach is determining if water has damaged the structure and interior of the coach. However, if proper maintenance has been performed on the exterior of the coach and the exterior physical integrity has been maintained then water intrusion should have been eliminated or at least minimized. Next on the list is assessing the condition of the chassis. Last is determining the condition of all the appliances, water heater, furnace, etc. which, by comparison, are much more easily repaired or replaced and at much less cost than any of the first two classes.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #5

If you can get it really cheap, it might be a bargain. Low low miles are not a good thing on motorhomes. Most would never wear out a motorhome. Sitting with no miles on them is worse than it being used at least somewhat regularly, and having say 70,000 miles. I would anticipate many ongoing issues with something that has sat basically for seventeen years.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffeys View Post
^ Agree ^

A couple of things are a little "different" on a LD (construction in particular - wood framing, aluminum skin) and that group is a fabulous resource for what may or may not be a show-stopper.
spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are a DIYer, this may be an opportunity. If you have to pay someone to turn the wrench for everything that is wrong, either you will go broke or things will not get repaired. It would probably be better off looking elsewhere.

NOTE - IMHO - Low mileage on a vehicle this old isn't a positive point, and in fact, raises questions.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #8

I posted on the lazy daze group site and got similar responses. I think I’ll pass on this one. I’m looking to enjoy using my next RV , not working on it. Thanks
Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok here is my e experience buying an older class c. 2 years ago I purchased based a 2007 Fleetwood class c 31m 2 slides from a dealer that bought it at auction, supposedly was an inside stored unit, price was ok, but I was sceptical, drove to fort worth from south Texas, and inspected the rig, geezer roof,perfect never resealed,interior. Smelled new perfect, 4k onan 100 hrs, runs with no surge, dealer contacted previous owner and they provided maint. records, engine oil was changed every 12 months, generator carb was replaced once, outside, decals like new, no delamination, front seats had no signs of wear at all, front carpet, no wear , yah I got it at a good price from a great dealer with only 6,200 miles on it. Right now it has almost 10,000 miles on it and all I have to replace is the awning fabric, RV is solid as a rock, everything works, so far never an issue, ok I had the dealer install 2 coach batteries and new tires, so far I have replaced chassis battery and that's it....inspect and inspect again, unit was a west Texas unit, no rust at all on the chassis, all I can say is kennadale campers in fort worth were great people, they bent over backwards to keep me happy.
They dont build units like the used to, after owning 12 RV's in my lifetime would I ever buy new NO NEVER, good deals are out there just keep looking
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sounds like they ran it with the old fuel rather than cleaning the complete fuel system first. Who knows how many components that may have damaged.

Sitting for years without running will cause valve springs or other components to take a set and have less spring pressure as well as rings and bearings that may have Frozen in place or corroded from lack of movement/lubrication. Most all rubber components from bushings to hoses to seals will need replacing.

All or none of these may happen. Feeling lucky?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #11

I looked at a small Class A a few years ago that had low mileage and a great price. The interior was well kept but showed a lot of wear and the genset looked to be on its last leg. The story was that they took it to the beach every summer which was less than 100 miles each way and it then was camped in all summer. Basically it traveled less than 200 miles a year but was lived in 4 or 5 months of the year for the last 15 years. The mileage doesnt always tell the whole story. The sellers were honest about everything but I got caught up thinking I had found a barn find.
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #12

Assuming you are not getting on an airplane to see it, I would surely look at it because it just might be in great condition.

You did not say where "under a car port" it is located for all those years. High heat and high humidity can mess up an interior, hot desert under a shaded car port would be hard where the sun hits, near the Canadian border with extremely low temps might have other issues, it can make a difference.

Like someone mentioned, 11,000 miles does not mean it was not lived in much.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #13

It’s in the southeast so heat and humidity could be a factor. Sounds like the original owner may have exercised it but still only takes a couple years of sitting to inherit a lot of problems.
Is there anyway to tell if seals are dried out ? How much use is enough to keep things well lubricated? If there was a diagnostic test that could have done it’d be a different story.We can afford to keep looking for a less risky deal. Still might be a good deal for someone.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #14

You made the right choice. Run don’t walk. Set a realistic price you can afford and buy as new as you can. Time ravages everything.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote