Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #1

Bathroom fan is kaput...

During our last outing, the 1/4 Hamster-power fan motor in the bathroom vent whizzed it's last revolution... it ground it an ignominious halt, with a grinding death rattle.

As a result, I need to either replace said motor or... replace the entire vent... I was thinking with something like a Fantastic Fan type vent.

My question is... would that be a good choice for the bathroom... or would it be overkill in the extreme? I wanna vent the bathroom and shower well, but I'd really rather not have my hair standing on end, or have it suck my father-in-laws toupee off his noggin in the process!

Can anyone give me a bit o' guidance here? My last motorhome had two Fantastic Fans, and when I set one up for intake and the other for exhaust, I was able to create a pretty good imitation of the Northrup Aviation wind tunnel...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can replace the motor in the vent very to do

I seen this on ebay

ventline motor | eBay

the fantastic fan will work if you want to change it out I don't think it will draw the toupee or the little doggie out of it so your safe but it will increase air flow

Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For noise level reduction and good air flow I've replaced the buzz bomb versions in three of the four RVs we've owned with the bottom of the line 3 speed Fantastic Fan type fans. Will be replacing the one in the unit we bought back in
November before we make our first long distance trip. Even though the basic fan is a little pricey, I have found them well worth the expense. The first one was still working just fine after 12 years when I got rid of the RV.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #4

Ditto.

The Fantastic Fan (also basic 3 speed) I put up front is so efficient I barely ever run the A/C after sundown now. The next project is to install the one with reverse in the bathroom.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You might look at this one for a replacement.
Heng's Vortex Fan Upgrade Kit
Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
First, I'd remove the fan, clean and lubricate it, then test. Many can be revived with a little TLC. A fantastic fan would be a nice replacement, if you have the money. They are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. I recently bought this fan at Walmart.
O2 Cool 8" Battery or Electric Portable Fan: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality : Walmart.com
It is very efficient, 12 v, and relatively cheap. I've thought that when my noisy bathroom fan gives up the ghost, I might remove this from it's housing and install it in the vent.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
First, I'd remove the fan, clean and lubricate it, then test. Many can be revived with a little TLC. A fantastic fan would be a nice replacement, if you have the money. They are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. I recently bought this fan at Walmart.
O2 Cool 8" Battery or Electric Portable Fan: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality : Walmart.com
It is very efficient, 12 v, and relatively cheap. I've thought that when my noisy bathroom fan gives up the ghost, I might remove this from it's housing and install it in the vent.
Well, I did as you suggested. I removed the fan motor, blew all the dirt and dust out of it... and put just a drop of sewing machine oil on the shaft.

As opposed to my usual practice, I tested the motor BEFORE re-installing it... AND ( drum roll please...) nothin', not a "hummmm...", not even a little, tiny "Pzzzzzt"!

Guess I'm gonna have to "fix" it. I'll probably go ahead and replace it with the least expensive Fantastic Fan model. From everything I hear, they cost quite a bit, but they're known for their reliability... and I like fixin' things once.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
And if you have ANY questions, call Fantastic Fan and ask. I did this exact replacement last winter, and I had some concerns about a mismatch between the directions and the contents of my fan kit. They quickly answered my questions (my directions were outdated), then asked my application, told me I didn't have everything I'd need and told me exactly which screws to buy at home depot to replace the ones in the kit I'd bought that wouldn't be long enough to reach to the right structure in my roof, and told me to also wait until I got their package, because the trim I had wasn't long enough for my roof thickness and the replacement was shipping out to me at no charge that afternoon. Following his directions everything went together with ease. The guy in customer service didn't even look up my coach - as soon as I told him manufacturer, year, model, and which roof hole I was upgrading, he started to describe my internal roof structure and why the kit wasn't quite right for it... Hardest part was getting the old caulking off the roof and the screw heads to get the old vent off. (and it wasn't attached correctly either - sheet metal screws to the lightweight aluminium skin and not to underlying structure)
Old 08-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd go with the Fantastic Fan. Some years ago I had the mounting boss break off one cover. Called to order a new one (lifetime guarantee on that part). As he was asking about shipping address I asked about upgrading to the thermal double wall tops. He asked how many I needed (2) and shipped them instead AT NO COST!
We have factory installed Fantastic Fans with the wall mount thermostat, they work well and don't take much power.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unca waldo View Post
Can anyone give me a bit o' guidance here? My last motorhome had two Fantastic Fans, and when I set one up for intake and the other for exhaust, I was able to create a pretty good imitation of the Northrup Aviation wind tunnel...
Try the LOW setting. Noting will get sucked out the vent but stale air. Our FantasticFan is in the bathroom and we use it to vent the entire TT. It works great.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #11

Thanks all for the input... guess I'm headin' up to the Ol' Motorhome Emporium today... I think I see a Fantastic Fan in my future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'd go with the Fantastic Fan. Some years ago I had the mounting boss break off one cover. Called to order a new one (lifetime guarantee on that part). As he was asking about shipping address I asked about upgrading to the thermal double wall tops. He asked how many I needed (2) and shipped them instead AT NO COST!
We have factory installed Fantastic Fans with the wall mount thermostat, they work well and don't take much power.
You know, some companies get it, but far too many don't. The simple act of getting you the right parts and at no cost, paid dividends in their reputation, far greater than the cost for those pieces.

I'm sure they've sold more fans, because of the way they treated you...

Tags
fan