Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

Bathroom flood - Help!

We did a shakedown trip this weekend with a few other families and our new-to-us class c. One of the kids used the toilet and and didn't turn off the water, flooding the bathroom and kitchen areas (rear kitchen model). I was at an adjacent campsite and saw the water pouring out from the back sidewall panels.

I have everything opened up and have a fan pointed at the damp spots in an attempt to dry everything. My larger concern is what hidden areas could be wet (and stay way) causing mold and/or rot.

Is a good airing out sufficient or is this a much more serious problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #2

I'm not an expert on the subject but I would think that just a one time accident and drying it out real good should be ok. Usually repeated water leaks in the same spot over a period of time cause rot.what I'm wondering is why you need to shut off the water after flushing the toilet? don't you have a pedal you step on and release? or did the valve stick?

Old 04-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
I'm not an expert on the subject but I would think that just a one time accident and drying it out real good should be ok. Usually repeated water leaks in the same spot over a period of time cause rot.what I'm wondering is why you need to shut off the water after flushing the toilet? don't you have a pedal you step on and release? or did the valve stick?
Our Thetford has hand valves (no foot pedal). One of the kids used the toilet and the valve must have stuck in the open position. I had the dump valve closed and the toilet overflowed and flooded the bathroom and kitchen.

We have a rear kitchen model so the water was standing on the linoleum and then had wicked into the carpet. The base of the dinette absorbed some water and swelled tremendously. It also looks like they lay the carpet first and then put the cabinetry over top. I found some wet carpet inside of the cabinets so I pulled the drawer and access panels and am trying to blow air into the crevices as best I can.

I wasn't sure what the floor and sidewall construction was like and whether there was anything in either of those that would hold water. And if there is, no clue how I would try to try that. It's breezy and mid 70s here today so that is helping.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #4

I'd suggest removing paneling, drawers or whatever it takes to get access to the area. As it is now, you have no idea of what the exposed to water area looks like.
I also question the turning off the water statement.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
You are doing the right thing, opening everything and using a fan to help. Big issue might be due to the materials in floor or cabinets. If it's particle or chip board, water will cause it to expand and crumble. Just hold your breath and keep watching.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Just hold your breath and keep watching.
Yep, that's what I am going. I feel sick about it. And we are traveling this week which isn't helping my angst.

There is some small swelling/chipping at the base of the dinette. So far, that is the only damage that I can see. It's what I can't see that has me worried.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #7

My camper is a 97 Coachmen Class C. Anybody know how the floors and sidewall are constructed in these and whether I should be concerned about retained moisture in things like insulation, etc?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #8

You could also try to put a dehumidifier in the area with it set on high making the air inside as dry as possible.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. I just rented an industrial carpet dryer from Home Depot. Going to let that run for the next day or so and hope that it draws all of the moisture out. I was standing almost right next to the camper so I am hoping that I caught it early enough to prevent any major damage. So far, everything I can see looks manageable. I just don't know what I should be concerned about -- if anything -- for the areas I can't see.

Fingers crossed.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #10

I have a 1997 22' Coachmen with a rear kitchen. In mine that rear kitchen/ bath (driver's ride rear corner) has a vinyl flooor while the area forward of that was carpet, which was pulled out a couple of years ago, and all the flooring was replaced with vinyl wood look flooring. In mine the corner tub developed a crack and leaked while someone was taking a shower. A lot of water made its way to the rear corner. My son pulled out the tub and surround, I bought a replacement tub which he installed. We had complete access to the area with the tub out and mine had no damage from the leak.
Mine isn't at my house right now but at my brother's warehouse so I can't go out and look at it, but assuming you have the same model you might be able to see into that corner with the drawers under the rear sink removed. I forget how that wall under the sink between the sink and shower is built.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #11

A wet vac would be handy in this case. It would first suck out the bulk of the water so the fans and dryers could complete the job a lot faster.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I have a 1997 22' Coachmen with a rear kitchen. In mine that rear kitchen/ bath (driver's ride rear corner) has a vinyl flooor while the area forward of that was carpet, which was pulled out a couple of years ago, and all the flooring was replaced with vinyl wood look flooring. In mine the corner tub developed a crack and leaked while someone was taking a shower. A lot of water made its way to the rear corner. My son pulled out the tub and surround, I bought a replacement tub which he installed. We had complete access to the area with the tub out and mine had no damage from the leak.
Mine isn't at my house right now but at my brother's warehouse so I can't go out and look at it, but assuming you have the same model you might be able to see into that corner with the drawers under the rear sink removed. I forget how that wall under the sink between the sink and shower is built.
Thanks a lot! You just made me feel a whole let more optimistic about this situation. I have the exact same camper (year and model) and am glad to hear that you experience with a leak was not devastating. Most of my water was in that corner. The water overflowed out of the toilet, down the carpeted pedestal, and then pooled on the linoleum.

Right now I've got the industrial fan blowing into the cabinetry. It moves a ton of air so I am hoping that i'll force dry the nook and crannies.