Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #1

Battery

So I purchased an older 20 ft Winnebago last year right before winter, I knew the batteries (2) where going to need to be replaced. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type & brand, I don't have room to install the 6 volt battery's, I will need to stick with 12 volt

Thanks for the help

Dan
danlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #2

What group size are the current batteries? If you have two 12 volt Group 27 batteries, there are Group 27 6-volt batteries for replacement. So you well may have "room" for 6 volt batteries.

It would help to know:
Group size of existing batteries?
Are the existing batteries located where you can get to them to maintain them or are they hard to get at?
Budget?
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two advantages to six volt. The big one is cost. This is from Sam's club, GC-2 84.52 so a pair of 'em gives you 230 amp hours of TRUE DEEP CYCLE battery for 170 bucks (rounded). And if you get em on sale. even less.

Not sure of the Costco cost or any other store just now, but am shopping.

The other advantage is highlighted above TRUE DEEP CYCLE, these batteries do not mind being run down to half full or even less on occasion, most 12 volt batteries are Marine/Deep cycle, and that much money will get you about 150 amp hours (Also at Sam's or Wal*mart) based on other batteries I've searched. Marine/Deep cycle are really starting batteiers with lip service to deep cycle.. They do not like being taken down to half and their recovery is somewhat more in question if you go lower.. That said.. i am currently running on a set of 3 G-29's (About 300 amp hours rounded) worth of them.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #4

To actually answer your question....suggest the cheapest way to go for 12V true deep cycle batteries is to stay with wet cells and that the East Penn Mfr. DEKA made Marine Master batteries DC24, DC27 or DC31 depending on your size requirements provide excellent performance. Do NOT get the Marine Master batteries labled DP24 etc. as the DP stands for dual purpose instead of DC deep cycle!
Many auto stores and Marine stores carry "store brand" batteries made by East Penn if you can't find the DEKA's locally. They are all the same provided the battery box looks the same and their model number starts with DC. Sportsman from Defender Marine is one such example.
Do not buy any battery that claims dual use or dual purpose on the label.
If you are space limited but don't mind spending on a premium 12V deep cycle battery then consider the Trojan brand. Furthermore...if you have space limited in footprint but NOT in height...consider their J185H-AC which is 15" high x 15"long and 7" deep and provides the same 225 amp hours that a pair of their 6V golf cart batts will.
Good luck!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:34 AM   #5

Battery

Thanks for all the input, I do have easy access to the batteries, but I do have height restrictions based on where they are located, I believe 6 volt batteries are taller, right? do they make a 6 volt that is roughly the same size as a standard battery?
danlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlee View Post
Thanks for all the input, I do have easy access to the batteries, but I do have height restrictions based on where they are located, I believe 6 volt batteries are taller, right? do they make a 6 volt that is roughly the same size as a standard battery?
Is there such a thing as a "standard" battery? No. What group size are your current batteries? I think rather than focus on 12 volt or 6 volt you need to know what size batteries will fit. What are the dimensions of your battery compartment? If you are willing to check specific gravity and add water then flooded cell batteries will work. Other than that, a real deep cycle battery is a must.

1. true deep cycle batteries
2. batteries that fit
3. you can maintain them
4. 12 or 6 volt pros and cons
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #7

Actually standard Group 24, 27 annd 31 batteries commonly used in RV's all average right around 9.5" in height give or take a quarter ".
GC batteries all are around an inch higher.
If it is CLOSE.. you need the specific battery measurements to decide.
As Jackfish says...It is absolutely necessary to know the WxLxH you have available for batteries as a first step. Get out the tape measure!

Tags
battery