Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Battery Boost?

I have a 2006 Winnebago View J Model Diesel. I am learning as I go. I was reading in the forum about battery boost and I am wondering what I should be doing with the button on the dash which lists battery boost. Should I keep this on while driving to improve the charging of the house battery or what? thank you
Burkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
It should be a momentary switch just to tie the house and coach batterys together in case you need a jump to start the engine.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #3

In my case the circuit that communicates to the solenoid has failed so I manually depress the booster to keep both battery banks connected while driving. But as mentioned if everything is working you only need to use that button when boosting a dead battery.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #4

You keep your finger on the switch while you drive😱
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #5

Quote:
You keep your finger on the switch while you drive��

I start the coach, give the chassis batteries some time to fully charge then I depress the boost switch and hold it open with a plastic cap. I place a business card over top of the transmission key pad as a reminder to take the cap out when parked. I have replaced that circuit 3 times and each time it has failed, taking the solenoid with it so I gave up on it.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's my understanding that this is a momentary switch only used to connect both battery banks together and most often used to overcome a discharged battery which won't start the coach.

I also believe that most modern rigs charge both battery banks while driving so it's possible that you would never have to push the boost button.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I have replaced that circuit 3 times and each time it has failed, taking the solenoid with it so I gave up on it.
Unless they've stuck some fancy junk in there it should be basically a $30 constant duty relay and some wires.

When the key is in the 'run' position a wire to the trigger terminal on the solenoid becomes 'hot' and closes the contacts making the connection between the alternator and the house batteries. Conversely the key being switched off the power to the solenoid drops, the contacts open and the house batteries are no longer connected to the starting battery.

What 'circuit' is there that keeps failing?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #8

Mine has a RV Custom Products battery control center(BCC) that senses when each battery bank needs charging and switches a solenoid on an off as needed.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Unless they've stuck some fancy junk in there it should be basically a $30 constant duty relay and some wires.

When the key is in the 'run' position a wire to the trigger terminal on the solenoid becomes 'hot' and closes the contacts making the connection between the alternator and the house batteries. Conversely the key being switched off the power to the solenoid drops, the contacts open and the house batteries are no longer connected to the starting battery.

What 'circuit' is there that keeps failing?
I can answer this one maybe. When you turn the key it does not send an instant trigger to the solenoid, there is a circuit board or bi directional relay that sends the signal only after the chassis battery gets to a pre determined voltage. So there are two items in play that can fail together or individually. If the solenoid fails then the batteries are separated permanently. If the dooo hicky that sends the signal fails, you can still by pass with the boost button......
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #10

With a RV Custom BCC, there is also a timed delay before it activates or de-activates the solenoid that connects the batteries together.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #11

Thank you all for your excellent replies. As far as I know, nothing has failed. I have never used the battery boost button (have the RV for almost 18 mos.) until two weeks ago. I was just wondering what I should be using it for. I may be stupid on this but I noticed that when I switched it on, the radio, could be heard in the back of the RV. I also just noticed that my miles per gallon was drastically reduced on this trip. Any connection? Or is could there be something else going on? It has never been that bad on mpg (diesel) and I wasn't driving any differently. Thanks.
Burkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
No connection to mpg. All your batteries are connected while traveling anyways. Your increase in mpg could be as simple as a strong head wind.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote