RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #1

Battery Boost Issue

Hi, first I'll apologize for not being able to find the info I need in past posts but as a newbee I'm unable to find what I need. I have a 2005 Winnebago Aspect that the chassis battery went dead on, I tried the battery boost but it did nothing so also being a newbee to the RV I figured I was doing something wrong. I have read all the manuals and searched the web but wasn't able to find what I was doing wrong. Finally I found posts on irv2 saying the best solution was to install a Trik - L - start so I bought one. Now I need to know where the battery mode solenoid is I have to connect it to and seeing as the boost didn't seem to be working.... should I replace the battery mode solenoid.

thanks for any help anyone can give
Larryd7

Larryd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #2

Change the solenoid.

Most double as the isolation solenoid that charges the house batteries, from the chassis charging system.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Here's what I'd do >> get a six pack of beer and test the batt boost solenoid. It's a solenoid, it can fail. How to find it .. well it will have two thick battery cables coming out of it; one goes to a positive terminal on your house battery bank, and the other goes to a positive terminal on your chassis battery. So, go offer your buddy a beer to help you. Now, both of you go look for a something with a cable running to the chassis batt bank and the house batt bank. THAT thing in the middle is the batt boost solenoid. Now, have your buddy stick his tongue on the chassis side of this solenoid -- this may cost a lot of beer so just have him listen to it. You go inside and click the batt boost button on, then off a few times. Your buddy should be able to hear it click. If he can't hear it, maybe try the tongue idea. Finish all beers to celebrate.

"If she don't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy." Red Green
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the chassis battery was way bad, the boost may not have been effective. I just had this occur with my coach.

On my coach, if you press the boost switch and the dash lights and indicators light up, then it's working.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #5

You should hear a click when you press the batt boost button. You should also hear that click a few seconds after the engine starts. If you do not hear the click, it is probably a dead battery isolation solenoid. They sometimes can short our with age or moisture.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
You should hear a click when you press the batt boost button. You should also hear that click a few seconds after the engine starts. If you do not hear the click, it is probably a dead battery isolation solenoid. They sometimes can short our with age or moisture.
Just hearing them click, doesn't mean they are funtioning. The plunger moves but the contacts don't connect, due to internal corrosion.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
On most RV's the boost or emergency start uses the chassis battery to activate the merging of the two battery banks. If the chassis battery is dead or very low no contact is made.
As to locate the solenoid it could be passenger side behind the cab in the first bay behind a service panel.
First get power to the chassis battery the check the boost solenoid then install the trik-L-start. How ever I believe the Aspect charges already from Gen or shore power or from chassis side to both battery banks if operating correctly. Without knowing the start battery condition I would look there first then check the charging system from each source to the banks before throwing parts at the condition.
Problem might be as simple as leaving something on that ran down the start battery or an old worn out battery.

LEN
Old 04-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #8

start battery is good, if I leave it connected it will go dead after a few days. If I disconnect the positive and wait a few days, reconnect it will start right up. Another reason I'm questioning the solenoid. Can't find any other source of drain on start battery. Traced the start battery positive cable under unit to the starter solenoid then straight back to the house batteries. No other connections between them. Can't find where the wiring goes to the main electric panel but I can hear a click in the area of the main breaker panel when hitting the boost switch but still can't find any solenoid even after taking the inside of the cabinet apart.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #9

Surely the starter solenoid is not where I install the trik l start is it?
Old 04-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #10

You need to find the solenoid, you hear. That HAS to be in the circuit, between the batteries.

Have you found the house disconnect solenoid ? It would be near that.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryd7 View Post
... I have a 2005 Winnebago Aspect that the chassis battery went dead on, I tried the battery boost but it did nothing so also being a newbee to the RV I figured I was doing something wrong. I have read all the manuals and searched the web but wasn't able to find what I was doing wrong. Finally I found posts on irv2 saying the best solution was to install a Trik - L - start so I bought one. Now I need to know where the battery mode solenoid is I have to connect it to and seeing as the boost didn't seem to be working.... should I replace the battery mode solenoid.

thanks for any help anyone can give
Larryd7
I'm assuming you have the 26A. Page 3 of the Chassis Electrical Box Assembly diagram for your coach shows the location of the Battery Mode Solenoid (and the Battery Disconnect Relay/Solenoid). The Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for your coach shows the location of the Chassis Electrical Box Assembly (forward of the right rear wheels).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If, in fact you have the 23D, here's the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for that coach.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #13

Yaaaaaaaaaa I found it. Thanks so much for all the help. I kept following the click and finally located the "Battery Mode Solenoid" compartment inside the storage compartment between the passenger side rear wheel and the coach door. There's a panel of reset fuses behind a door. Now just have to make sure I replace the correct solenoid since there are two. I'm guessing the one that clicks is the one I want.
Thanks everyone
Old 04-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryd7 View Post
Yaaaaaaaaaa I found it. Thanks so much for all the help. I kept following the click and finally located the "Battery Mode Solenoid" compartment inside the storage compartment between the passenger side rear wheel and the coach door. There's a panel of reset fuses behind a door. Now just have to make sure I replace the correct solenoid since there are two. I'm guessing the one that clicks is the one I want.
Thanks everyone
Take a look at the Chassis Electrical Box Assembly diagram posted earlier--it will tell you which is which.

Tags
battery