Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #1

Battery problems...

We have a 2006 Four Winds motor home, bought in April. During the summer the chassis battery charged well and held the charge, however the motor battery never did, we ended up buying a new one and lo and behold the engine started each and every time! now the chassis battery does not hold a charge! Have we done something wrong or forgotten to do something when we replaced the battery? No one seems able to or willing to help us out in this..any suggestions would be appreciated, we are so new and do not want this to be a negative and force us to sell and not try it!
cornelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
First off, the CHASSIS battery is the term used for the one that starts the engine and powers the functions of the driving part of the RV. The HOUSE battery is the term for the one that operates the living portions of the RV, the water pump, thermostat, water heater, refrigerator, etc. Was the RV hooked to shore power in between uses? Next you'll need to determine if the converter/charger that is powered by shore power charges both battery groups. To do this, after the batteries have been at rest for a few hours, take a voltage reading with a multimeter of each battery. Then plug in the shore cord and repeat the readings. A good battery should read over 12.7 v charged up. When being charged, the voltage should read over 13.4 v. If you don't see readings in those ranges, the converter/charger isn't charging both battery groups. You could also repeat the readings while the engine is running, see if the alternator charges both groups.

The chassis battery will be drained over time due to 'parasitic loads' like the engine computer (ECU) the radio memory and clock, etc. The house battery will be depleted by weak loads on it like the thermostat, LP gas detector, electric steps, etc. If you have battery isolation switches, typically near the entry door, while they suggest they cut all power to the batteries, they seldom do. If you park it for periods of time not plugged in, install disconnect switches that 100%. There are many styles:

Either those type of switches or a solar panel on the roof.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

thanks

Thanks for the information. As you can tell we are "very" new to this and the dealer we bought the Motorhome from was less than informative and it all sounded so straight forward. The Chassis battery has been replaced as it did not hold a charge and it has been great since, starts like a charm. The 'house' battery however does not, even after being plugged into a shore line for a good period of time. We will follow your advice and see where it gets us! Thanks again.
Floyd and Cora
Ontario!
cornelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #4

I have the same issue with my Greyhawk. Thanks for the info
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Did you have the house battery tested? If it is original would be past overdue for a new one.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #6

I have a 2013 Winnebago View 24j. I am having problem charging the house batteries. The house batteries charge on Shore power and while the Generator is running. The house batteries will not recharge driving down the road. In the past it always charged. If my house batteries were down when I got in the morning, then I would just cranked up the RV engine and the batteries would go back to normal voltage.

I had a shop check the solenoid under the passenger seat and it was good.
Any Ideas to fix the problem.

Thanks
view24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Which solenoid was checked? Look at the wiring diagram for your RV to find out how the two battery systems are kept separate except for when charging is available. There are a variety of ways to connect for charging but isolate the systems so the house doesn't deplete the chassis or vice versa. Since you once were able to do this and now can't something isn't working.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have a 2006 and the batteries have failed... Are these the original batteries?

I have a 2005,, I replaced mine last spring.. If yours is a 2006 then you have had 8 good years from them.. Normal life of Lead Acid Rechargeable, if properly cared for, is 7-10 years.

NOTE: On the house batteries. Before you remove them to the battery store for testing and recycling.

PAINT the wires on the positive terminal RED, and tie them together when you remove the batteries

Black (optional paint) on the negative, likewise tie if more than one.

(This way you hook them up right and do not miss one)

SIX volt batteries are most common as house batteries because two GC-2 Six Volt golf car batteries (in series) will set you back around 200-300 dollars. They are true DEEP CYCLE batteries that do not mind being run down to half full (or occasionally a bit lower) if recharged promptly.

One forum member (Do not know if this or another) has a 12 volt battery that is the same size as my two sixes.. Remember I said 200-300 dollars for my 2 sixes.. he paid over 700 for his.

And now you know why we like six volt batterie$
Old 11-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #9

Battery problems...

I don't know what the prob is, but my 09 Navion has same as the 2013 View. Think it worked til I replaced house batteries in July. Switched them out myself, so know they are installed correctly.
huey286 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery