Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
Beaver Water Intrusion - Side Molding

I found major water intrusion in aft section of motorhome on bedroom floor.

1998 Beaver Monterey 36í

Hey all. I began waking up the motor coach from its winter hibernation and I found this major water intrusion. Not good.

Now I donít know if this is a common problem on just Beaver coaches or itís a common issue on lots of other coaches.

The culprit was found to be failure of the exterior body molding sealing. And what I found was a very minimalistic approach from the coach manufacturer to seal this area. But I find this an unacceptable cost cutting approach as the consequences of water intrusion are devastating to our coaches.

In my opinion, there are multiple design flaws leading to this water intrusion.

1. During construction of the coach, the exterior fiberglass walls should have extended down past the area of plywood floor decking. With this approach, a seal failure could occur with minimal water damage to the wood.
2. Also, a bead of caulking between the inside of the exterior fiberglass wall surface and the plywood floor decking would have created another line of defense to prevent water intrusion. Mine had none.
3. The foam seal was found to be waterlogged. Apparently once water intrudes under this molding, the seal turns into a sponge and has zero sealing ability. I feel a better material should have been used, especially if this is the only seal keeping the water out of the coach.

Now on to the rest of my story.

When I removed the plastic trim to access the screws which holds on the molding, I found several screw heads broken off, as you can see in the photo.

So, what caused this?

One of two things comes to mind:

These snapped off due to the twisting and flexing of the coach and once this occurred, the sealing surface was compromised and the water intrusion caused the screws to become rusty and weakened to the point of snapping off?

Or did the sealing surface just deteriorate with age causing water intrusion and the screws became rusty and weakened to the point of snapping off?

My plan of action is to thoroughly dry out the wet wood and possibly treat it with something to prevent further deterioration. Does anyone know of a product for treating water damaged wood? It appears to be structurally sound enough for now if I can buy some time.

Iím also going to use Dicor Sealant to seal between the between the inside of the exterior fiberglass wall surface and the plywood floor decking.

Then Iím going to seal the bottom edge of the exterior fiberglass wall with a strip of Eternabond Sealing Tape.

Iíll also replace the deteriorated molding seal with a high density, closed cell seal.

This will give me triple protection. Overkill? I donít think so.

Lastly, Iíll install new molding attachment screws next to each one of the broken off screws.

Sorry for this long winded post, but I want to bring attention to this issue as it might benefit some other Beaver coach owners out there.

Happy RVing,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Molding.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	122512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Off Screws.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	122513  

1998 Beaver Monterey 36
300 Cat & Allison 6 spd
Looking forward to retirement so I can get busy...
Sandcassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Might want to move this to the Monaco forum.

2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat
2011 Jeep Rubicon
2012 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4WD
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
Hi tankcj.

True, perhaps this type of design with the molding pertains only to Beavers/Monacos.
I wasn't sure.

Thanks, Roy
1998 Beaver Monterey 36
300 Cat & Allison 6 spd
Looking forward to retirement so I can get busy...
Sandcassle is offline   Reply With Quote

beaver, water