Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #1

Bedroom TV Shelf Removal for 2003 Itasca Spirit

We recently upgraded to a 31 foot 2003 Winnebago Itasca Spirit, and want to replace the TV that sits on a corner shelf in the bedroom with a new flat screen TV. The problem is that the shelf has a wedge on it that tilted the old tube TV down for viewing, and the wedge interferes with the installation of the new TV.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrl8k572d2...tand.jpeg?dl=0

There was a previous thread about this issue, but there was never a solution posted. The shelf has no visible screws, and I would like to learn how to take it apart. Besides removing the wedge, I would like to remove the brass rail that is also in the way. I checked the parts list PDF, which didn't show the details of the shelf enough to let me know how to take it apart.

Has anyone successfully solved this problem yet? I would hate to just start taking it apart with a chisel and a hacksaw, but that would be my next step if no one can give me advice.
donspinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2016, 12:52 AM   #2

Bedroom TV Shelf Removal for 2003 Itasca Spirit - solved

We had a lot of views to the original post this week, but no replies, so I went ahead and attacked the problem directly.

A previous thread had indicated that the veneer on the underside of the shelf could be pried out, giving access to screws holding the wedge I wanted to remove, but the veneer was notched into the front trim piece, and could not be removed without taking out the trim first, so I simply used a putty knife and screwdriver to pry the wedge off the top of the shelf. This worked, but 4 screws that had held the edges of the wedge in place remained protruding about an inch out of the top of the shelf. I used a vice grip to screw them back down through the top of the shelf.

Then I attacked the metal rails attached to the edge trim of the shelf. Each rail had a post that was screwed into the trim at each end, and a metal rod connected between the posts. A little pressure on the metal rods enabled me to spring them out of the holes in the posts they sat in, and then the posts could be unscrewed from the edge trim.

So, now I have a flat shelf in the corner of the bedroom where I can attach a flat screen TV. I have a Visio TV that is 22" wide and 13" high, and I think this will fit nicely in the corner.
donspinelake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, removal