Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2018, 08:46 AM   #1

Best built Class C’s

My wife and I are looking to buy our first and hopefully last Motorhome. We keep most vehicles for a long time. We are headed to the Tampa RV show in January. We are looking for a well built vehicle under 24 feet with a dining roof slideout. We plan on buying one this spring. Preferably a used one with low miles. I’m sure there are some well built ones and some not so well built. Really wanting to know which brands to stay away from. I’ve heard Winnebago, Tioga, Itasca and Jayco are pretty good. Comments please!
Also has anyone bought the Motorhome Comparison Guide and is it worth buying for a new RVER.
Thanks for your help.
Bigriverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We just switched from Jayco to Winnebago and there is a distinct difference in build quality and available owner resources.
Before that we had two Holiday Ramblers.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #3

I have always favored Winnebago/Itasca and have never been disappointed.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
LOG

The Chinook Glacier is a very well built motorhome. However, it is 25 feet, the slide out has a sofa rather than dinette, the last year built was 2006, and compared to other class B+ or Class C motorhomes built in 2006 will cost more to purchase.
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigriverbill View Post
My wife and I are looking to buy our first and hopefully last Motorhome. We keep most vehicles for a long time. We are headed to the Tampa RV show in January. We are looking for a well built vehicle under 24 feet with a dining roof slideout. We plan on buying one this spring. Preferably a used one with low miles. I’m sure there are some well built ones and some not so well built. Really wanting to know which brands to stay away from. I’ve heard Winnebago, Tioga, Itasca and Jayco are pretty good. Comments please!
Also has anyone bought the Motorhome Comparison Guide and is it worth buying for a new RVER.
Thanks for your help.
If you have the time, take the factory tour at Coach House, just south of Tampa in Venice. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:08 AM   #6

I'm partial to Phoenix Cruiser. Check them out.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #7

While I can't speak to the specifics of the RV Comparison Guide I think buying something like that is a good idea if you have never bought an RV before.

When we were looking I bought the RV Consumer Groups package.
https://rv.org/

It was very informative for someone who had no idea how to judge the differences in RV manufacturers methods. I still have How to Select, Inspect and Buy an RV by JD Gallant on my bookshelf.

We have been happy with our choice and the knowledge we gained helped us sort through the used units we were looking at.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #8

We be 8 feets too long or we might have an option for ya........
Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 PM   #9

Years ago, I looked at several Born Free class C's and was very impressed with the quality. The price reflected the quality, pricey but very nicely done.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #10

2016 Gulf Stream Conquest C 5.4l ford V8

Gulfstream Class C. 24' Have put on 18,000 miles in 3 summers. Excellent build quality. The pups love it.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #11

Wink Lots to look for...

There are a number of clear indicators of a quality build or conversely indicators of a substandard {cheapo build}. Look for a fiberglass roof and one piece endcaps. Are the walls and ceiling framed in plywood/Luan or did they spend the extra to utilize Azdell? Are the walls multi-layered and vacuum sealed? These are just better ways to build a coach. Is it framed in wood 2 X 4's or smaller or did they use aluminum or better still low alloy steel?

Is there particle board and plywood found hidden away throughout the coach? Check the storage areas and drawer construction. Does a light come on automatically when you open closets? Did it come with tank heaters? Electric awning? Outdoor shower?

Does it come with one battery or two? {one house battery is a joke} What size are the AC and furnace? On a Class C over 27' a 13,500 BTU AC is probably going to be inadequate in warmer temps. A furnace with less than 25K BTU capacity is also going to struggle when needed most. How large is the LP cylinder? If you end up with an LP generator your propane consumption will be large while your tank might not. If the builder went cheap on these crucial comfort items you have to ask what else did they skimp on?

Are the mirrors remote controlled and heated? Try manually adjusting a set of mirrors sometime when you need some extra frustration in your life. Does it come with a power driver's seat, makes a huge difference on those long days on the road. Can you slide the driver's seat all the way back or does it hit on a slide?

Look at the waterlines, hopefully, they are Pex and secured every foot or so. Electrical wires should be neatly run, labeled and bundled without potential chafe points.

Most of these quality features can easily be found on the higher end lines. I like Phoenix Cruiser, Born Free, Lazy Daze, Coachman, the higher end Winnebagos and obviously Nexus though there are certainly other quality manufacturers out there.

When you find a coach that has many of the quality touches I listed give serious consideration to buying. When you encounter a coach with the problematic issues enumerated above, well you've been warned and "Run Forrest Run!" may be your best option.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #12

Capt. Steve has listed some excellent ideas when inspecting (checking out) any RV. Also Gallant's book on selecting and buying an RV is full of good information. His ratings are also helpful, but now it's all e-book. I also have the latest copy of RV Comparison Guide. These two sources, plus what you can learn on this forum or an owner's forum AND talking to other campers can seem overwhelming, but you'll learn so much. And there's no better education than personal experience. Ours is definitely one of the less-respected models, but she's taken care of us going on six years and we take good care of her. But I'll admit I may go with an Entregra next time...
Old 01-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #13

My initial method of checking on quality was to bang on the ceiling, cabinets, and walls of the RV. I found that this highly empirical method (haha) highlighted the different building materials used. I opened drawers, looked under furniture, and tried to examine where builders used glue where screws should be used.
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #14

Thanks for your input. We have a new one of those by our place for sale and it’s a 2018. I’m considering those but I researched Gulfstream and I see an awful lot of bad posts regarding the warranty help from that company. Many people also have liked them. We will certainly look at them at the show in Tampa this month. Thanks
Bigriverbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c