Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

Best Buy in 2016/2017 Small C Class

Howdy, after looking at Several Smaller MHs , 20-25 ft. Was wondering if the Esteemed membership here at iRV2 - could recommend a Quality C Class RV , for Wife and Me , soon to be , new full timers - ( really like looks of the new Thor Quantum GR22????) appreciate Ur Info ........

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Winnebago 2015 Minnie Winnie 22R (it's a 23 footer) and I am very pleased with it.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #3

Forest River REV , felt like a toy !

We looked at other smaller RVs ; like Winnebago Fuze , Thor Gemini/Compass ,and Forest River REV ..... All Seem to be underpowered, have No useful storage, and Toylike in the durability ! What's a GOOD small C Class ? For a First timer / Fulltimer ? ....... Jim
Old 09-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #4

We moved to a Sprinter chassis. Looked at many - Winnebago, Thor, etc. Take a creeper with you (scares salespeople...!) - look underneath at the structure. Initially liked the Thor, until saw how they extended frame rails - nothing but rusted metal. Went with the Coachmen - felt it provided the most solid "foundation". I can deal with cosmetic issues if needed, but not rebuilding a frame! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #5

Look at Born Free, a California made unit. Most impressive I've seen. You'll pay for the quality, though.

If at all possible, get a unit with a full one piece fiberglass front that goes all the way to the main box structure and a domed fiberglass roof. I know Winnebago is one that does this.

Sounds like you need a coach with a Ford V10 engine or the GM equivalent.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
Look at Born Free, a California made unit. Most impressive I've seen. You'll pay for the quality, though.

Sounds like you need a coach with a Ford V10 engine or the GM equivalent.
FYI ... Born Free are manufactured in Humboldt, Iowa. Secondly, there is not a current gas GM equivalent for a Ford V10 the model years in the OP. Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:55 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Floor plan is one of the the most important considerations. Find the minimum size with the storage, sleeping arrangement, and floor plan that will work for you. If you travel and want to use rest stops beware of anything with a bedroom slide that has to be out to sleep.

You may be happy with the length and construction but if you're not happy with the floor plan, you won't be happy in the long run.

When we bought ours, floor plan and finding a E450 chassis so we had maximum cargo capacity were two of the main things I was looking for besides staying under 30'. We went from a 19' B and wound up at 27'. Still fits in a pull through parking space.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy boy JIM View Post
Howdy, after looking at Several Smaller MHs , 20-25 ft. Was wondering if the Esteemed membership here at iRV2 - could recommend a Quality C Class RV , for Wife and Me , soon to be , new full timers - ( really like looks of the new Thor Quantum GR22????) appreciate Ur Info ........
Your budget is going to be a major factor in order to answer that question.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #9

Try renting a small class C, and see how you like it. Talk to the other campers at the campgrounds, and get a feel for what folks like and dislike about their units. Campgrounds are like RV shows, but without the pesky salesmen.

Then, when you narrow it down to a few manufacturers, take the factory tours (if possible). That was a real eye opener for us... we took 4 tours before we decided.

Once you narrow it down to a final few contenders, compare the warranties. Believe it or not, there are some manufacturers who only provide a 12 month warranty! If you are going to be full timing, you'll really be ringing the unit out, and the longer the warranty, the better.

We wanted a small class C for my wife and I, and whatever fur babies the we have with us (one is a 130 pound girl). After talking to other campers, looking at dozens of units, going to shows, taking factory tours, and comparing warranties, this is what we got:

2017 Redhawk 26XD | Jayco, Inc.

We saved about 20,000.00 by getting a 2016.

Some of our main needs were: A walk-around bed, a normal tanked water heater, a small sofa, and a 6 speed transmission Ford chassis (It's very easy to get service on a Ford Chassis). Also, because we carry bikes, we couldn't have a slide that came straight out the back

Good luck, and happy camping!
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You will be full time. A walk around bed if the partner is ill. This gives the other a place to escape as there is a living area as well. Storage, will have at least 3 season clothing, and most likely all your possessions. I'm partial to the Winni brand at 31' and a toad, while not full time we do 3-4 months at a time and have no problem getting into parks of any kind. Sit in a few RvVs for more then a couple minutes and go threw scenarios of daily life in all weather(being stuck in bad weather for a week will make a big difference rather than Sun shine and lollipops).
Old 09-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #11

Thank you - Folks

Thank you Folks - great advice , please keep em coming
Old 09-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of good suggestions in this post. We have a Winnebago 24VR and as much as we like the smaller length and good construction quality, we are in the "if you're not happy with the floor plan, you won't be happy in the long run" boat. I'd like to upgrade to a longer floorplan, but now isn't the right time. Go look around at various makes, models, and lengths. Spend as much time as you can sitting in them imagining what you'd do in bad weather. Is there any particular reason not to jump up to a 30' length?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:09 AM   #13

We opted for a Isata 3 (made by Dynamax a Forest River company) on a sprinter chassis and love the full side slide out. Gives you a huge living area for a 25 foot coach.

momdoc
Old 09-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #14

I saw the Isata 3 unit and really did like that full slide. Really opened up the floor plan!