Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSprat View Post
I my humble opinion I would say Jayco Greyhawks have the best handling and overall quality compared to other RV Cs featuring Ford chassis. Noting Jayco adds a number of comfort and stability chassis improvements right from the factory (J-Ride)

Front Bilstein shocks, isolation mounts on frame, beefier rear sway bar, Hellwig helper springs on rear suspension and computer balanced drive shaft. The only other after-factory add-on we have installed was Hellwig front sway bar to replace Ford standard. This improves the wind/truck sway considerably.

We also noted that the interior fit and finish seemed a bit better than most other brands. Only downfall is that Greyhawks are at the top of the heap with regards to C's so I guess you pay for the improvements.
We've had no problems driving our Greyhawk with its stock JRide components. Plus their two-year warranty is very helpful.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #16

Our Winnebago Class C drives and handles extremely well also. I have done nothing to it other than an alignment shortly after purchase. The ride is smooth, and comfortable. The v10 is powerful enough, in any situation or terrain. The coach itself is very quiet going down the road. I can drive it multiple 10 hours a day on a cross country trip with little fatigue.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:11 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
Anything under 50% is unsafe for highway travel.

50 to 53% is a bit dicey (will wear out the driver causing fatigue and stress).

Only ratios of 54% or more are considered safe.

Lower ratios will wear out your suspension as well as being unsafe."
I just did the math on mine. 137" wheelbase for my 22 (23' actual) foot model. Comes out to 49.6%. It has new polyurethane sway bar bushings front and rear along with some stiff Bilstein shocks all around. It does get pushed around by big rigs but I hear that's most all gassers. I do love the maneuverability of the tiny wheelbase though!
Old 10-08-2017, 03:57 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Our 2017 WB Spirit 31G is 32'9", handles great. Has good suspension, balance load, keep 50psi in air bags, correct tire pressure, smooth driving.
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Many years ago I found this post online and saved it for future reference:

"Wheelbase-to-Length Ratio for Motor homes:

Most RVers have never heard the term (or didn't until the RV Consumer Group began concentrating on the subject). The RV Consumer Group, referred to frequently by anybody who knows what they're doing, originated this concept. It refers to one of the most critical factors to be considered in selecting a motor home.

I'll give you the basics. Say the overall length of the MH is 36 feet. That's 432". Say the wheel base is 228". The ratio is calculated as 228 ÷ 432 = .528 = 52.8% (call it 53%).

Anything under 50% is unsafe for highway travel.

50 to 53% is a bit dicey (will wear out the driver causing fatigue and stress).

Only ratios of 54% or more are considered safe.

Lower ratios will wear out your suspension as well as being unsafe."
After many lies from where I was going to get my Class C (long freaking story) my wife and I have decided to get a short Class A, around 30/32', anyway the one that fits our budget and seems really very nice is the Forest River FR3 30D

but using the aforementioned "Critical Factor" the result is a dismal .49%. I went Whoa!! and after looking around and reading peoples thoughts on that particular unit people seem to love that one aside from the typical stuff that needs repairing.

The wheelbase is: 190"
The length is: 31' 10" (382")

The C.F. is .49% so the result is that it is considered very unsafe, correct??

James Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #20

If other owners report that it handles well, that would set my mind at ease. A positive test drive could serve as further confirmation. Traveling in any RV is potentially dangerous but that doesn't discourage me, this is too much darn fun!
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO Continen View Post
I just did the math on mine. 137" wheelbase for my 22 (23' actual) foot model. Comes out to 49.6%. It has new polyurethane sway bar bushings front and rear along with some stiff Bilstein shocks all around. It does get pushed around by big rigs but I hear that's most all gassers. I do love the maneuverability of the tiny wheelbase though!
That's true!
It's not 'all' about wheelbase vs overall length. Weight comes into play as well !
Old 11-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #22

Best handling Class C RV?

Yes, this a very reliable indication of handling. If you do go this route, I would strongly suggest going to Henderson's A-Line in Grants Pass, OR and get a road assessment. They will do a road test and prepare a list of things that can minimize or correct handling problems. There is no pressure to buy anything, you can then do the work yourself or have them do the work as time and budget permit. The have overnight parking with electrical. Check out their website.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:34 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
We have 31G and are happy so far. We had alot of stuff fixed under warranty, we hope year2 is smoother
Enjoy
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c