Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #1

Best normal sized wheels to replace my old 16.5"?

My 84 Chevy G30 Mallard wears 16.5" shoes and, of course, I prefer to replace the wheels when going with new tires.

I was told to talk with dealerships about getting some 'take-off' 16x6 wheels and 245/16e tires. I wanted to post a WTB: Craigslist ad but I'm not sure what to ask for!

I'm sure this has been covered before but a quick search didn't find quite what I was looking for!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This has been discussed on iRV2 before - and there was really no "best" answer.

There are 3 factors you need to consider; Rim size, Bolt Pattern and Offset.
The G30 will probably be a simple 8 bolt pattern from the days when the Big 3 mfgt's used the same pattern...BUT, newer trucks are not all the same bolt pattern anymore.

Once you match your bolt pattern, the 16" and 17" rim's are the standards since the 16.5's have gotten rare and expensive.

For a better price, you can try wrecking yards and tire shops for take-off's...but be careful for condition and damage.

Best of luck!

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #3

Thanks! From what I'm reading I have to get wheels from any 70's to 00's GM/Chevy 8-lug as the hub-circle has to be the same size & Ford/Dodge are larger. Something to do with putting the strain on the lugs themselves if the center isn't snug on the hub.

Otherwise the sky's the limit!

Someone posted this link which is where I'll go if the local dealers/junkyards are of no help

Chevy Van Steel Wheels
Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A smaller tire means more revolutions per mile and a bit closer to the Ground.. If your rig is a tad "Anemic" on power this may help..

A larger wheel means less revolutions per mile and slightly higher ground clearance.. IF you have the room for the larger wheel this is a beneift on many trailers. If you have power to spare it might be a benefit on a motor home as well. Larger tires generally roll easier.

In either case. if you are talking about a motor home, have the speedometer re-calbrated after you change wheels.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
A smaller tire means more revolutions per mile and a bit closer to the Ground.. If your rig is a tad "Anemic" on power this may help..

A larger wheel means less revolutions per mile and slightly higher ground clearance.. IF you have the room for the larger wheel this is a beneift on many trailers. If you have power to spare it might be a benefit on a motor home as well. Larger tires generally roll easier.

In either case. if you are talking about a motor home, have the speedometer re-calbrated after you change wheels.
These are good points - but for the second paragraph you should replace each word "wheel" with the word "tire."

The rim size will not mandate the overall rolling tire diameter...that's your choice at the tire store And, since new tires are listed by their metric size vs. the old, easier system, it is not easy to make the swap without some consideration of this change.
See: Tire code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If tires come with the new wheels, then you are probably going to just live with that for a while. But if you buy new tires, then having the size of the original tire will be helpful.

Calibration of the speedometer is not so easy, but common in the 4x4 crowd. It is well worth it if you go to a different sized tire.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Metric system is the easier system.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #7

You need to pay close attention to the lug nut taper; the angle on the tightening face of the nut; if the nut and the wheel are not a exact match then the nut will flatten the rim out as you tighten; or the rim will wear a grove in the nut; and you will never keep them tight, wear both the rim and wheel out.
Saw this happen a number of times , in the late 70s when 16.5" rims and tires first started to disappear on Dodge P/Us.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Metric system is the easier system.
HaHaHa!!

If that is true, here is a quiz:

Part 1:
What is the overall height and width of a metric 255/75-17 ?
This is an average Jeep Wrangler tire.

2 hints:
~ These numbers are "Tread width" in millimeters / "Aspect ratio" in percent - Rim size...
~ There are about 25.4mm in 1 inch.

Part 2:
What is the overall height and width of a SAE 33x12.50/16.5 tire?
No hints needed...and this is the tire size currently on my ol' 4X4 and they a getting rare

Safe travels to all
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Metric system is still easier, most of the world uses it. The width is 255mm. Height is 812.5mm.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #10

The hub size does matter. I've had everything match and then had the hole in the middle be wrong. There are many box vans that use the same wheels. You can sneak up on what you need by finding a van chassis that has the right specs and then find replacements by application. An older system called the "hollander interchnage" was used to assign part numbers to appropriate applications. Once you find an application that has 16 inch wheels that will fit, a supplier can reference this to verify they wheels you are about to buy will fit the application you picked by make and model.

As noted I would do the same with the lug nuts. Buy one for the donor vehicle by application and verify by physically comparing the nuts to your existing ones. Looking up nut specs can be hard, so a side by side may be easier.

As far as the tires, I'd match the revs per mile of a properly sized set for your MH now and find a tire that is appropriate in every other way (load, rim size, ect) that has the best match for revs per mile in 16 inch rim size. That will keep the speedo and gearing issues off the table. Unless you feel you need to make a "fix" here it will just simplify matters.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Metric system is still easier, most of the world uses it. The width is 255mm. Height is 812.5mm.
See!! - plus, this is still in metric units.
What do metric units mean to the average American (like me)?

Answers...

~Part 1 - A 255/75-17 Jeep tire...
Height- 814.3mm (or 32.05")
Width- 255mm as listed in the tire code (or 10.03")

Sidewall is: 255mm/.75 = 191.25mm
Rim is: 17"x25.4 = 431.8mm
So, that is 191.25+191.25+431.8= 814.3

How is it easier to HAVE to do math to simply get the size of your tires? And, why is the tire code partly metric and partly SAE?

Wouldn't it be GREAT if, maybe just for the HUGE American market, tires like these could be marked in simple SAE units - plus since all tire manufacturers products are slightly different they could just call these tires 32x10/17's

~Part 2 - A 33x12.50/16.6 tire...
Height: 33"
Width: 12.5"
Easy as can be...

Safe travels to all
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your beef is with the tire industry, not the metric system. I rounded my figures as 17 inch rim is like 430 mm or 16 inch like 410. Anyways, it is not easy to convert things, but that is not the metric systems fault. Why can't tires just be listed as metric? 95% of the world uses the metric system. You probably think it is easier to count by sixty-fouths or 32nds verses tens!?
Old 06-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Your beef is with the tire industry, not the metric system. I rounded my figures as 17 inch rim is like 430 mm or 16 inch like 410. Anyways, it is not easy to convert things, but that is not the metric systems fault. Why can't tires just be listed as metric? 95% of the world uses the metric system. You probably think it is easier to count by sixty-fouths or 32nds verses tens!?
No beef. I like both measurement systems, tire companies and the people that make tires too. Thanks for helping with my point and the thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
replace