Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 07:19 AM   #1

Best small Class C to ship to S. Korea?

Howdy all!
My friend wants to bring a new 2014 small class C into S. Korea. It is for only him and his better half.
My guess is 25' maximum because of rear overhang dragging. Roads are ANYTHING but flat here.
I'm recommending diesel because gas is ~$8 a gallon here, but my friend is rich (literally) so that isn't a deal-killer.
What brand would you recommend?
My concern is more with the quality of the construction, and repairs/manufacturing defects. (I learned the hard way about that, but that's another story)
He is working with a dealer that imports a hundred or more HTTs, TTs, and Popups per year, so getting repairs isn't a problem, and Mercedes Sprinters are common here. The big Fords aren't common here, so my leanings are towards MB...
So far I see Winnebago, Thor and Jayco at the top of the list based on other threads.
Could you give me your opinions/recommendations and why?
Thanks!
Baron
(yes, I am making popcorn as I type this! )

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
From my perspective, the Winnebago View or Itasca Navion (which are identical machines built at the same Winnebago factory). I've had both, first a 2006 View, now a 2012 Navion iQ

Great Winnebago quality, superb Mercedes Sprinter performance.

'Nuff said!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #3

Going with the Mercedes/Dodge diesel ala Warren & Debbie's post, I'll add the Fleetwood Icon 24x..we are thrilled with ours. Great handling/ride/fuel economy/layout. I saw some of the new ones at the RV show here in T.O.....luv ours all the more.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

Better check with the (hopefully) nice folks at the appropriate government agency.

I have a friend who works over there as an ex-pat English school teacher, he also wanted to take a camper over there. The info he got was;

"Only small and medium sized vehicles may be imported; mobile homes, trucks and other vehicles which seat more than 10 passengers are not allowed."

Strangely enough, it's also not possible to import anything if it's made in Japan. Old habits & hatreds endure I guess.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #5

Having lived in Korea for four years and traveled extensively throughout the peninsula, I don't recommend your friend ship a motorhome to Korea at all. Camping facilities capable of accommodating motorhomes (caravans) are extremely limited and primitive dry camping would be next to impossible (IMHO). Rent a car and utilize inns and hotels throughout the country. Korea is one of my favorite places in the world.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
EarthRoamer or perhaps an MRAP.

Dave
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Better check with the (hopefully) nice folks at the appropriate government agency.

I have a friend who works over there as an ex-pat English school teacher, he also wanted to take a camper over there. The info he got was;

"Only small and medium sized vehicles may be imported; mobile homes, trucks and other vehicles which seat more than 10 passengers are not allowed."

Strangely enough, it's also not possible to import anything if it's made in Japan. Old habits & hatreds endure I guess.
Your friend got REALLY bad info. I have lived here for over a decade and I have imported my own. My buddy is working with a guy that imports over 100 trailers and RVs a year. It's not a problem. You can import anything you want, but trust me, you don't want to see the duties that have to be paid for bringing a big V-8/10 in here.
MTM is an import company in Korea that is awesome. Four-Seas in America can handle the shipping side if your buddy wants to ship from the east coast, but I recommend shipping from the west coast-it's cheaper and takes less time.
I'll have to tell all the importers of Snow Peak, Coleman, etc., (all come from Japan) what you said. They'll get a laugh out if it.

Our Japanese Snow Peak tent

The view at the 2012 Formula 1 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by army View Post
Having lived in Korea for four years and traveled extensively throughout the peninsula, I don't recommend your friend ship a motorhome to Korea at all. Camping facilities capable of accommodating motorhomes (caravans) are extremely limited and primitive dry camping would be next to impossible (IMHO). Rent a car and utilize inns and hotels throughout the country. Korea is one of my favorite places in the world.
Next to impossible? We have been doing it since 2006! You just have to go to places where foreigners don't even exist. At many places we've been to I'm the first foreigner the locals have seen. It's a riot, because I'm 6'2" and 220! We met a bunch of Air Force guys at Mongsampo Beach and have been friends for a long time. They love camping here!

Mongsampo at night

The next morning...

I think an RV is too big for Korea, but I also like to go places where only serious boondockers would go.

So far Winnebago and Fleetwood. Any others?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Your friend got REALLY bad info. I have lived here for over a decade and I have imported my own.

Four-Seas in America can handle the shipping side if your buddy wants to ship from the east coast, but I recommend shipping from the west coast-it's cheaper and takes less time.

I'll have to tell all the importers of Snow Peak, Coleman, etc., (all come from Japan) what you said. They'll get a laugh out if it.
I think I said "made in Japan" not imported from. They MAKE Coleman RV's in Japan?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I think I said "made in Japan" not imported from. They MAKE Coleman RV's in Japan?
Coleman camping gear (Japan only items), Japanese cars, motorcycles, equipment.
There is no restriction on Japanese goods.
Some things have a 45-55% duty added to them, though!
The Korea/U.S. FTA got rid of that for most American-made goods though.
That saved me a ton of money.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 AM   #10

Lightbulb

You might want to stay with something that you can get parts for, in that neck of the woods just in case you brake down???
Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #11

Look into the Leisure Travel Vans versions built on the Mercedes Sprinter. The new Winnebago Travato class B and their class C, based on the new Fiat/Dodge FWD van might be good for the Korean roads.

Just make sure you get a well-insulated one for the cold weather.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #12

He ordered a forest river solera. Now getting it licensed is underway. He's rich, so I think a few folks in the registration dept. are going to have a little extra spending money! LOL

Tags
class c