Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Best way to measure tongue weight?

Thinking about hauling my bicycles on a dual receiver. Top would be one or two bicycles on bike rack and lower receiver would be for car dolly towing Corolla. I have 350 lbs tongue weight hitch. What you think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may be pushing it.

U-Haul should have a scale about somewhere, and a hitch stand. Drive the corolla onto the dolly with the stand on the scale and read the scale.. If they don't you can get a trailer "Dolly" or a hitch stand The first is a 2 wheel dolly with a leg and a handle used to wrangle a trailer (or the dolly) by hand, very useful, Weigh it on a freight scale or truck scale, then pull the dolly onto it and drive the corolla on (no need to strap her down since the next thign you will do is back off) Don't forget to chalk the tires on the dolly (And weigh the chalks with the tow thingy.

A hitch stand is a RIGID "Dunce cap" with a ball on top. NOt the plastic jobs but somethign that will supporot 500 pounds.

That can be used instead.

That is the only real way to measure hitch weight, but I think you are pushing it.

Better option Modify the Corrola with an axle lock and an aux braking system so you can tow it 4 down.

Then .. No problems plus it's easier to hook, un-hook tow, and park (no dolly to park) .

Old 07-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I wonder if I could just box the c- channel frame from rear axle on back to the receiver.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
The bikes and bike rack etc. weigh 80 lbs max. That leaves 270 lbs for tongue weight to tow Corolla, sure seems easier and more cost effective to just make the frame a little stronger. Shorter class C have 500 lbs tongue weight, is that because no c-channel is added to the back end? The added c-channel is slightly thinner than the frame c-channel. Man, just looking for 150 lbs more tongue for peace of mind.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
TGR

I would suggest that you perform an on-line search for the curb weight of the corolla and of your specific tow dolly. I suspect you might be over the 3500 lbs hitch rating before you add the bikes.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tow dolly weight 620lbs.
Corolla weight 2615lbs.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #7

Shouldn't have much tongue weight due to load directly over axles. Due what I do, put the bike rack on the back of the Corola
Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am thinking front mount receiver. Drawtite 65053.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #9

Sounds like it would be easier to put the bikes either on a roof rack or rear carrier on the Corolla and just not add any weight directly on the hitch.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, decided to install a front mount hitch for $160 bucks. Didn't want to put any roof rack or rear rack on the Corolla as I have an existing bike rack. Now I can tow a car and transport my bicycles same time.