Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #1

Big problem

I just wrote a very long explanation of my problem and when I was previewing it, it disappeared and I'm assuming it is lost and not posted but just in case it did post, I'll make it shorter now.
Had a blowout that bent my exhaust pipe. My son cut it off to remove the bent part. Now it appears that the heat has melted a huge hole in my fresh water tank. But, also my gray water is leaking out through that hole as well.
What I'm looking for answers to:
1. Will I be able to just replace the exhaust pipe or will I have to replace the whole system?
2. How can my gray water be leaking out of the same hole as my fresh water? Aren't they on opposite sides of the RV? And is it possible they both have holes now? Also, is the black tank also in danger of being burned?
3. Has anyone ever had to replace any or all of these things and do you know how much money I am looking at for repairs?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to the forum. It would be helpful if you posted your year , make and model RV so others can assist.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Welcome to the forum. It would be helpful if you posted your year , make and model RV so others can assist.
Absolutely. Tons of knowledge here, but in order for someone to really dig into this for you, they'll have to know what unit you are talking about.

are you positive that grey water is discharging from the hole in the fresh tank? Or is it possible that grey water is dripping from above, and running down the side of the fresh water tank?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #4

Big problem.

Thanks. I had it in the previous message and then forgot on this one. It is a 2013 Fleetwood Jamboree Searcher 25K.

Update: I discovered the fresh water tank seems fine and it looks like the gray water has the huge hole. It also melted holes in 2 of my storage areas.

Appreciate any ideas or help. Thanks.
bevberry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Any good muffler shop can replaced just the part now missing or just a bit more. As to your tank issue if you are able most likely you may be able to put a plug over the area and screw and glue in place or put and replace tank. Other wise you insurance may cover the fix. If not look at $100 plus an hour and the cost of parts.
Sorry to hear of your problem.

LEN
Old 06-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
consider adding your rig to your signature by clicking USER CP in the upper left, then selecting SIGNATURE along the list of links on the left side.

It aids in others being able to help quicker.

If you could get a patch to the grey tank, marine goop or marine sealant #5200 would lock it in place for sure. I'd patch the storage compartments too. If it's not a big hole, #5200 on it's own would fill it, but the stuff runs until it sets up, so you might be better with a patch of heavy duty plastic.

How big is the hole?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #7

Thanks

Thanks for the hint about adding my rig info to my signature. I will do that.
Regarding the size of the holes, unfortunately - BIG. The whole short side of the gray water tank is essentially melted with plastic actually hanging down from it. I'm guessing the whole thing will need to be replaced. One one of the storage spaces the hole is about 6"x8" so a piece of plastic might do there. The other storage doesn't have a hole but the plastic has gotten hot enough to come away from the top side and leaning into the storage area leaving a gap at the top. I guess if there was a way to heat it and then push it back where it belongs that could work, just not sure I have equipment to do that.
I was looking for a plastic welder because I read something about that on one of the posts here but have not been able to find anyone who does that. I don't think I can do it by myself.
Taking the rig into a regular muffler shop today to get that part of the problem fixed. That is first so I can actually drive it to have the other parts fixed without doing more damage.
Anyone have an idea of how much a new gray water tank will cost. Thanks for the info on the $100/hour labor. I'm trying to piece together an estimate so I have the money together for it.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #8

A new tank is probably a few hundred dollars. I would assume your insurance should cover the repairs.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #9

Thanks for everyone's time and input. Insurance set a check to cover it but my son thought he could save me money by just cutting off the bent part but of course that didn't work and caused more damage. Pretty sure they won't cover customer fault and stupidity. Thanks for the info on possible cost of the tank.
bevberry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #10

No offense intended toward your son but based on the damage, sounds like you are luck the entire rig didn't "melt"--consider yourself lucky and press on with repairs.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #11

I had a tire blow that took the end of my tail pipe off. I knew it would melt my rear quarter panel so as a temporary solution I went to a hardware store and bought a length of stove pipe. That channeled the heat away from things that could melt.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #12

Big Problem

Yes, Old Scout I was lucky. Especially since it also melted a hold in my storage bin and there was paper about 2 inches away and if it had caught fire right over my gas tank, my whole rig whole have been toast. No pun intended.
And I wish my son or I had been as smart as Road Pilot and did a temp fix on that. Unfortunately, I and evidently he, did not think of that. Duh!
Tail pipe was replaced yesterday and now working on getting estimates on the replacement of the gray water tank.
Thanks again for all the help and support.