Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #15

I’m so glad I have 3 15K A/C units on my RV!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
The often cited 20 degree differential is NOT the differential between inside the coach and outside. It is the difference between the A/C air intake air temp and the A/C discharge air temp. 18-20 degrees is the expected range for a normal house A/C as well. In 100+ degree temps here in Alabama, my house stays at whatever temp we set, down to a low of 72 which is a bit cool for us older folks.

My tiffin shows the same 20 degree differential, but we had it in the driveway this past weekend with outside air temp at 99 degrees, inside air temp at 71 degrees... This 32SA has a 15K BTU front A/C and a 13.5K BTU rear unit. It's enough to run us out pretty much, without breaking a sweat...
Old 06-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #17

Could always use a portable one....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:36 AM   #18

Be careful with a portable unit it will put the coach in to a negative. So here in Florida it will be cool but muggy inside the coach.
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverene View Post
Be careful with a portable unit it will put the coach in to a negative. So here in Florida it will be cool but muggy inside the coach.

I don't understand your comment. "Put the coach into a negative"...?? A negative what?
Old 06-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I don't understand your comment. "Put the coach into a negative"...?? A negative what?
Over air condition might be a better term. Happens when you over size the system for the load. Drops the temp faster than it can pull the water out of the air. End result is a cold clammy living area that feels like a cave.

I would drop the ceiling unit and inspect the fins on the evaporator. Doesn't take much dirt on the fins to compromise the system capabilities and the air filters are usually less than good regarding filtering out crud. Same goes for pulling the top cover and ensuring the condenser is clean and straighten out any bent fins with a fin comb. Every little bit helps.

https://www.amazon.com/SUPCO-FCR6-He...70_&dpSrc=srch
Old 06-05-2018, 05:11 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Portable unit exhaust a LOT of hot air.
To exhaust air they have to bring it in from somewhere, or there would be negative pressure inside the RV. So they are bringing in outside air as fast as they are pumping out hot air, you rapidly get to a point where they aren't doing much good.
Two hose units don't have that problem.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #22

Google portable A/C units.......Ones I've glanced at use one exhaust hose and come with a window kit, which could be exhausted out a roof vent, and a lot of different sizes
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #23

The exhaust of the portable unit out the window causes the coach to become neitive ie low pressure in side the coach. So out side air starts rushing in threw every crack and crevice. That causes that cool but wet feeling. The roof top unit pull air in and blow out into the exact same space so no negative pressure.
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverene View Post
The exhaust of the portable unit out the window causes the coach to become neitive ie low pressure in side the coach. So out side air starts rushing in threw every crack and crevice. That causes that cool but wet feeling. The roof top unit pull air in and blow out into the exact same space so no negative pressure.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #25

Be sure to check the dividing baffle between the return air / supply air. The baffle between the two on our rooftop air unit was poorly installed. Once I went in and placed an appropriate separation and taped the gaps with foil duct tape the AC went from constantly struggling to cooling the motorhome pretty quickly.
JtSpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #26

Ours is right at 28 feet in length. I opted for the larger rooftop unit when we bought it. Had it out last week in 95° weather and it did fine. It did run more but it was able to keep the temperature where we wanted it. This was with partial shade.

From firsthand experience with a shorter coach, I don't think the 13,5 would have been able to keep up. At the same time, I have a feeling the 15 might struggle somewhat with the additional 3 feet of coach the OP has.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Add a second unit. Might be able to install in a vent opening. Even a through wall unit with separate plug direct to the pedestal.
Called fleetwood, said there is mot enough roof support for a 2nd ac in rear bedroom, i find that hard to believe
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:31 AM   #28

One of our close camping couples is having issues with their 13,500 btu AC unit in their 31 ft. Itasca Class C. They took it to our local RV repair shop and were told that for almost the same cost, the shop would install a second AC unit in the bedroom, and run the electrical connections outside the camper so a 20 amp cord would be used to power that AC unit.
FYI
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote