Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Black Water

sorry about such a s@#$$y subject and yes, new to this.....after emptying tanks the black water tank still reads 2/3 full ???

Neptuneslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, sometimes that happens with tanks that have the tank level sensors mounted inside the tank. There may still be some muck clinging around the sensors. Sometimes, after a period of time, the tank suddenly reads correctly.
If you have a black water tank flush attachment, make sure you are running water into that for a few minutes after dumping. Then dump again.

Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tank health is a never ending adventure.
The most common recommendation is to use lots of water and only dump the black tank after it is 2/3 full...unless you are traveling (avoid carrying the weight).

Tank treatment to avoid fouled sensors can include many things from a simple enzyme like those from Camping World or Wal*Mart to "the Geo Method." See: https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
There is a product that gets great reviews on Amazon for doing a through cleaning of the black tank to restore sensor functionality. It's called Tank Techs RX.
Jalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
I finally quit fretting over my senors. After using your rv for awhile you'll get a feel for when to empty. Mine were making me nuts trying to keep clean. Sometimes I notice they're accurate, usually not. No longer bothers me. Just sayin.
Wapa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Neptuneslair, I installed the Camco 40126 Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser:

Tornado Permanent Tank Rinser with Remote Connection - Camco 40126 - Sewer Flushing - Camping World

I'm really satisfied with the results. You will need to drill a hole in your tank to mount it, but the process is fairly easy. You will need a 1 1/8" hole saw to drill the installation hole, as well as a 1/8" drill bit to pre-drill the holes for the mounting screws.

The rinser sprays water on the internal sensors and washes off any crud or paper that might have stuck to them.

Here's to a YouTube video that explains how it works:

2004 Damon Challenger 348W, 2010 Forest River tow dolly, 2007 Ford Fusion SE

US Army veteran, USAF disabled veteran, (yes, I served in both branches).
zogthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
Easier than an installation......buy a Flush King device which is a back flush you use when dumping waste. Dump till water runs clear then you know tanks are empty & clean.
daisylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
a simple fix is put left over ice in the toilet after camping. when you drive it cleans anything stuck to you holding tank walls.
Fey Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
Agree with the ice. I add a few inches of water, 1/2 bag of ice then drive home. Usually it empties and show clear sensors.

2016 Dynamax Force, Just Rite 2
halla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #10
I've always approached this a little differently and over the years its worked for us... we charge the black water tank with 3-4 full toilets of water when we're done dumping the tank... we than add back either a cup of laundry soap (powder) or 1/2 cup liquid or (1) cup oxyclean... as we run down the road the water gets hot.. and the soap and water washes out the tank....

On the last day out... we do the same and dump the tank if it needs it or not.... and at the last dump site on the way to the house... we do it again... its a surprise how dirty the liquid is...

BTW we have a clear elbow attached to our hose... and when possible we run the tank spray until the water runs clear....

This works for us.... BTW... the tank sensor works maybe 20% of the time...
Retired Business Owner, Re-manufacturing HD Clutches, Brake Shoes, Air Compressors, Sales & Installation of PacBrake and other Industrial Friction
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #11
Yes, the clear elbow was one of my best purchases!
dea49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #12
The Geo Method has worked for me but its a bit of a hassle for what its worth. I have pretty much given up on my sensors. I agree with Wapa1, after a while you learn when you need to dump.
RaisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine did the same. I used the holding tank cleaners, etc. and did a lot of flushing out. Now it reads accurately. No more "Klingons".
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't bother checking the black sensor. I know I have to dump when I can see the liquid level down thru the toilet opening when I flush.

Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote