Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Black water indicator light.

Just got home from my first trip. Everything went well and I was thrilled with all of it. Took three and a half weeks and put 2400 miles on the rig. The only issue I have is that even after I dump the tanks the black water indicator light is still lit showing a full tank. I know it is empty as I have watched it dump and checked it several times. My question is there any trick to resetting the light or any method of advice for a home fix? Or is it something I need to take to a repair service? Thanks in advance and I am sold on the entire experience and look forward to many, many future adventures.

rcraig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
No trick, look up cleaning the sending unit or cover the light with tape or remove the bulb.

Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
It's a common problem and happens because the sensors are dirty. Most folks use the GEO method to clean (Calgon, Dawn and water...then drive...then dump). This has worked for us for several years. Sometimes back-flushing will work. Or, you can hire someone to come in send do a deep clean.
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
I don't know what type control panel you have, some can be calibrated by taking the panel apart and adjusting a small set screw. You might try to google the brand or model number to find out how or do like I did and take it apart to see what makes it tick.

Good luck
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
Thanks all. I will give these a try. I would much rather do it myself and will always try first.
rcraig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Unless you have a rinse plug option on your tank, this problem will always be there, you clean it one day and the next week you will have to start all over again, what I used to do before leaving on a trip, 1/2 fill the tank and toss 2 bags of ice cube, empty the tank when you get to the camping, and never forget to put at least 5 gallons of water before using it,
Mike, Martina and Maya our yellow Lab
2013 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29,5 ft 5thWeel, 2010 Ram HEMI 1500
ROMANICHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
To clean my black sensor I have been using the GEO Method. I also have a built in sprayer to flush the tank. One old method that I have tried is to dump, fill black tank with water and dump some ice cubes down the toilet. I then drive to the next campground and dump. This cleans the sensors.
Mike and Rose
Dachshunds Hansel and Gretel
Jayco Class C Greyhawk 31SS
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are also other types of sensors you can install which measure the level thru the tank walls, vs a screw sticking on the inside. They are installed on high end rigs and work very well. Nothing to clean with them and work with crud on the walls. Not cheap tho.
SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - RV Applications
RVcruzer.com - SeeLevel Digital Tank Monitoring System Installation
2014 Nexus Viper 29V Class B+ nicely customized
downsized from a Class A 2008 Allegro Bay 35TSB with 78k miles
Towed is 2007 Ranger with shell
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #9

The GEO method is good. The real solution is water, water,water.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
Internal tank sensors are so unreliable (without constant effort to keep them clean) that they are pretty much useless. You don't really need one for the black tank because it's pretty easy to tell when the tank is getting full just from the sound when you flush, but if you do want a functional gauge that you don't have to constantly maintain then one of the external sensor systems is the only answer.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Texas Boomers Club
Figure out how many days you can go on the black tank then dump it. Even if you manage to clean them, the next time a piece of TP gets hung up on the sensor, they are off again.

My suggestion is to just stop obsessing about them. They don't work. The other sensors do.

Way-the-heck-south Texas
2011 Coachman Freelander 21QB
kelliepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

cat, water