RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #1

Brand new here and need advice

Hello, I do not and have never owned an RV or travel trailer of any kind. My wife and I are in a position where we live in Virginia, son lives in Ohio and daughter lives in NC. Tired of paying hotel rooms and it is not feasible to stay with them. We are thinking of getting a class c so we can visit them and travel a little bit when we retire. My question is would it be wise to purchase used and hold our breath that it is ok or, should we buy new and rest easy that we know everything about it. We are in no way shape or form rich so price is a factor. I know driving a new one off the lot drops it value right away but I have heard horror stories about hidden damage on used ones. I would appreciate any advice you can give, Thanks.

boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #2

My opinion has always been to dip your toes in the shallow-end before you jump in - there are lots of people who "thought" they'd like the RV life, but come to find out, the RV life wasn't for them

Basically - you're in one of two camps - you're either the person who has a checkbook/credit card and you'll have someone fix your problems for you - or, you're someone who isn't afraid to tackle problems as they arise - if you're handy and don't mind getting your hands dirty from time to time, the RV life may be for you -

My suggestion, go out and find yourself something that's been pre-loved - since you have NO EXPERIENCE with RV's - seek out an inspector to help you once you've landed on one you like - keep in mind, there is no right or wrong RV - they come in many different shapes and sizes, because we all like something different - go to as many RV shows as you can - not that you're going to buy new, but it will give you the option to see many different floor plans to compare - once you figure out the floor plan, the rest is just shopping for one you like -

Final bit of advice - DO NOT believe anything an RV salesperson tells you - do your own homework (this forum is a wealth of information with people willing to help you), likely you'll be more knowledgeable than him/her - trust but verify if you must -

Now's the fun time - go out and start shopping !!

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
My opinion has always been to dip your toes in the shallow-end before you jump in - there are lots of people who "thought" they'd like the RV life, but come to find out, the RV life wasn't for them

Basically - you're in one of two camps - you're either the person who has a checkbook/credit card and you'll have someone fix your problems for you - or, you're someone who isn't afraid to tackle problems as they arise - if you're handy and don't mind getting your hands dirty from time to time, the RV life may be for you -

My suggestion, go out and find yourself something that's been pre-loved - since you have NO EXPERIENCE with RV's - seek out an inspector to help you once you've landed on one you like - keep in mind, there is no right or wrong RV - they come in many different shapes and sizes, because we all like something different - go to as many RV shows as you can - not that you're going to buy new, but it will give you the option to see many different floor plans to compare - once you figure out the floor plan, the rest is just shopping for one you like -

Final bit of advice - DO NOT believe anything an RV salesperson tells you - do your own homework (this forum is a wealth of information with people willing to help you), likely you'll be more knowledgeable than him/her - trust but verify if you must -

Now's the fun time - go out and start shopping !!
Thanks..one more thing is there anyone brand that you think produce the most lemons
Old 08-07-2019, 09:35 PM   #4

I would buy a 1 to 2 year old unit. I looked at 8 new Axis MHs and all of them needed some kind of repair, from cracked mirrors, torn off molding to jammed slides. Dealer said they would fix them all.

I found a 1 year old model that was already fixed and $10,000 cheaper. It was on the lot with the new broken ones but the sales guy really pushed new. I took the used.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:18 PM   #5

Even if you get a new unit I would recommend it be inspected by an independent inspector prior to delivery. You would be surprised to see what they find.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
Thanks..one more thing is there anyone brand that you think produce the most lemons
I'll bite on this one. You are going to hear a lot of negativity about the Thor line. We bought the first WS31 Quantum produced. We took delivery March 2017. We have not missed on minute's enjoyment for any issues. It went back to the dealer one time to have a fiberglass tab repaired. I would have done it, but I found it third week of ownership and it was a potential water intrusion issue so I put that monkey on their back. After a month I set up an appointment at the Factory Service Center as I had a piece of flashing underneath that wasn't installed correctly, then began adding little things to the list as we went along. I also had a few talks with Thor customer service and they have been outstanding with me. When we checked in at the service center, they went over every item on our list, plus found other things that "weren't quite right" and fixed them also. We haven't had a single issue outside of what I consider normal wear and tear for a coach that sleeps warm bodies every day. As our coach sits right now the only two things it needs is a new LED strip for the awning and I would like to upgrade the water pump. We have also been on factory tours and seen them being built. Do I wish that they took more time? Yes, and who wouldn't. Do I wish they had used better materials? Yes, and who wouldn't. Do I wish the QC process was better? Absolutely, but I have been with QC techs in and under (not allowed on top) coaches and seen the process and been told by the techs what it used to be compared to what I was seeing. Every coach is going to have issues. With all of the moving and non-moving parts plus add ons, it will never be 100%.
Thor is the largest apple tree in the pasture, so all things being equal will have more bad apples. In 6-8 months, somebody is going to get a great coach. We love our Thor and are 100% sold on them. On the downside, our last coach won't be a Thor. Not for anything related to build quality or reputation, but the floor plan she wants and the chassis and drive train I want don't intersect in the Thor lineup.

Remember, this from an actual owner, not somebody who has never slept in one but likes to beat the anti-Thor drum.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:53 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy used, from a private party. Imho.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:52 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Unlike in a typical car, a new RV does not equal free of problems.
A new RV is much more like a new house, there is likely to be a 'punch list' of items that need to be fixed/corrected.
I'd suggest buying one up to about 4 years old, that way the biggest depreciation hit is already done, and you hopefully get something where the bugs have been worked out already. Be sure and get it inspected by a professional, and NOT someone associated with the dealer you're working with.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:52 AM   #9

There’s a RV consumer guide available online guide for a fee. A good many Forum members have endorsed it.

Some Class C RVs that receive very favorable reviews include Coach House, Pleasure Way, Lazy Daze, and Dynamax. A couple of others that are not produced any more include Born Free and Bigfoot. There’s a few others but they slip my mind for the moment.

Hope this helps.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #10

A RV is not like a car. A new one can have TONS of stuff wrong with it.

Try to figure out what kind yíall might like, Class-A or C or trailer on and on. Go to some RV shows. And find a babied used one, there are so many out there. If you read these forums, people buy one and really like it except for example, they want bath and half. Or donít want the half bath. Some people seem to change their RV every year or 2. Thereís nothing wrong with them, except needs or likes, changed. The point Iím trying to make there are so many out there and barely used.

Do have somebody check it out, an independent RV shop or mobil RV repair person.

Iím so sorry we bought brand new, there is no reason for it. We like it a lot thank goodness. But, we didnít know enough to even research it. So youíre ahead already. Good Luck, there is lots of fun to be had.
nancybninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #11

Just a thought to share...when we started looking for ours, we went to a local dealer. We went with the thought of a 5th wheeler, but were open to others. The sales gal told us the lay of the lot; 5'ers, Class A, B, C's .. new vs. used. She siad there won't be may C's in the used lot as they tend to go as fast as they come in. She also noted that a number of folks try the Class C's out if they're new to RVing, then end up trading in for an A shortly after. Might want to look for a fresh trade if you can, the warranty might still apply as well.
BobinChina03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #12

I suggest renting before you buy anything. Check out outdoorsy or rvshare and try a few styles out before you commit to anything.
TRM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRM1 View Post
I suggest renting before you buy anything. Check out outdoorsy or rvshare and try a few styles out before you commit to anything.
we thought of that but all I could find were $200.00 and up for 1 day rental.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
we thought of that but all I could find were $200.00 and up for 1 day rental.

Yes renting is expensive.....but cheaper than buying a unit you end up selling or trading in.

pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice