Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Brazel's Super Service!

I want to thank Jon Brazel from Brazel's RV Performance in Centralia Washington for suggesting I replace the original shocks on my Phoenix Cruiser on a Ford E-350 with the Koni's. Wow! What a difference! Much better ride. I called and talked to him about the harsh ride and the problem with Semi's blowing me around and cross winds. Needless to say I also have coming from Jon an UltraTrac rear stabilizer. I hope it works as well as the shocks did. Thanks Jon!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm curious, how many miles on your rig? I ask because we have 63,000 on our 2005 Winnie Aspect (similar to your rig in design, but with E450 chassis). I suspect my shocks are shot.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the trac bar.

It will. (work as well as you hope) there is no doubt on that issue.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Baraff - I only have 36k on my Phoenix Cruiser and the shocks were not worn out. My complaint was, when we did get the time to travel it felt like the tires were made of solid steel with no suspension (gross exaggeration I know. I was looking for description LOL!). I like to do the as much of my own work as I feel qualified to do so I changed the shocks and I am in the process of the UltraTrac bar replacement. Not sure I will tackle projects this big again as at 59 years of age, between the temperatures hovering at 104 every day, knees that sound like fireworks every time I stand up, and me, well, I just don't roll around on the concrete as easy as I thought I could. <sheepish smile> The big difference in original shocks and Koni's and seeing it with my own eyes, was how extremely hard the original shocks were to collapse versus the Koni. No wonder the ride was so harsh! I asked Jon about Bilstein (much cheaper) and what I came away with was Bilstein makes really great shocks but that Koni was the only one designed specifically for motor homes. I think I am going to love driving this thing when I get it done as I did get to take it for a drive after I got the shocks replaced. Nice! On the installation, well, I didn't quite learn my lesson on the shocks so I am now installing the trac bar. Well, lets just say I will have a mechanic do all this work next time.

One other thing I really wanted to get was the their Ultrapower upgrade. Jon told me the amount of HP, torque and fuel economy it added. The V-10 already has lots of power so that was not a concern but what did get my attention was the program holds the transmission in overdrive a little longer to avoid the never ending shift downs on small hills taking the engine from 2100 rpm up to a screaming 3500 to 4,000 rpm and continued screaming all the way up a small hill. I really dislike that. If I am driving in any hills I take it off cruise and feather the throttle with my foot to avoid the screaming downshift that send the rpm's into the stratosphere. I thought I had a problem with the transmission until I read where many other posters have that same problem with the stock tune on Ford's.

@Wa8yxm - I sure hope it makes a difference. This trac bar looks so simple and is turning out to be such a puzzle to me on how it is installed. I finally called Alan Sanders from Brazel and he sent me a picture of one installed on an E350. I now see where I went wrong. It also doesn't help the instructions are for the professional and vague at best for the novice which is another reason to leave this kind of work to the man that does this for a living. I will simply give the keys to the professional, pay the price and pick it back up later with a lot less body aches and no barked up knuckles or ears bleeding from dropping tools I drop in my face while looking up. Nope, not again.

Tags
brazels, service