Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #1

Bunk over cab side window leak

Hello everyone, I recently bought a 1998 Gulfstream Conquest Classic, I was cleaning underneath the bunk above the cab and noticed the wood was wet and rotted, so I took out all of the rotted wood and found that the leak is in the sliding window on the right side, it is not coming in from around the window seam, but from the center between the two window panes in the track. I cleaned out the weep holes so the water doesn't overflow anymore, but I still need to stop the leak, what are my options in sealing the window better without sealing the window shut? The water comes off of the roof and basically runs straight down into the crack of the window panes where it is leaking so it must have worn it down. Here are some pictures of the problem. Thanks in advance for any help!

DRL25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #2

I'd make sure the rubber mount for the whole window is in good shape and if not, I would replace it. It may be cracked, warped or damaged thereby not allowing a good seal. Worst case scenario would be replacing the entire window, frame and all.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #3

Here are some more pictures of where it is leaking

This is the outside of the window, the water goes in right where the gap in the rubber seal is

And this is the inside of the window, it comes in right where you can see the light through the window and runs down the track, basically the water runs down the window and instantly inside
Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #4

The rubber mount that seals against the window? or that seals the whole window frame to the rv? also thanks for the reply!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #5

Sorry one more picture

This is a picture of the window open. You can see the seal that goes against the side of the window doesn't go down all of the way, and that's where the water is coming in, is there a way to fix that or replace that seal?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #6

That looks all to familiar. Recently bought a '97 conquest with the same wood rot in the over cab. Had water intrusion from both the side windows and the front window. Front and one side was an easy fix with scrape out and re-seal of the windows. The other window was a different matter. Initially thought it was an exterior seal problem, then a window seal problem, finally turned out to be a roof seal problem. There was a small tear in the roof cover where water tended to pool after a rain. Due to construction quirks it channeled across the roof, down and around the window, then through (or into) the window frame and finally down into the over head cab area. I think you already have the issue identified (and I have no resolution), just passing on my issues.
Hope the repair went well! My over head aluminum framing was "bent" due to previous owner doing heavy storage. Decided to leave that sleeping dog alone for the time being and live with a slight down bow. New foam and wood and a solid fix.
Have fun!
gklehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklehner View Post
That looks all to familiar. Recently bought a '97 conquest with the same wood rot in the over cab. Had water intrusion from both the side windows and the front window. Front and one side was an easy fix with scrape out and re-seal of the windows. The other window was a different matter. Initially thought it was an exterior seal problem, then a window seal problem, finally turned out to be a roof seal problem. There was a small tear in the roof cover where water tended to pool after a rain. Due to construction quirks it channeled across the roof, down and around the window, then through (or into) the window frame and finally down into the over head cab area. I think you already have the issue identified (and I have no resolution), just passing on my issues.
Hope the repair went well! My over head aluminum framing was "bent" due to previous owner doing heavy storage. Decided to leave that sleeping dog alone for the time being and live with a slight down bow. New foam and wood and a solid fix.
Have fun!
Thanks for the reply gklehner! I suppose you had that rotten smell too? If so did that go away after replacing the rotted wood and styrofoam? There must have been some heavy storage on the bunk to bend that frame! I'm also thinking about getting some wall paneling and fixing some of the bad rotted parts of the wall up to the window, I haven't noticed any other leaks though, the tracks of the other windows get a little damp when it rains hard but the weep holes take care of that, do you have any other tips or common problems with your conquest?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #8

Tried a "quick reply" and it seemed to go off into electronic zone land. If not, this is a repeat.
The rotten wood smell was difficult to get rid off. As I had numerous window leaks and they all are wood framed around the structural metal frame, quite a bit of creative re-framing and re-skin with the plywood. Every place the wallpaper was peeling, not attached or loose had an underlying leak. Fortunately all small areas so other than the cab over, no major tear outs. Dry out of all these leak areas to kill all the odor causing critters (bacteria and molds) took about a week with fans and space heaters keeping the interior dry and 80 - 90 degrees. After a final scrub and finish of repairs it's pretty much odor free. Still some lingering odor, mainly from the cushions and carpet which will get another cleaning.
The biggest problem I've encountered with the gulfsteam is the leak issue. After discovery of the leaks did a complete exterior cleanout and reseal of all windows, doors, hatches, joints, etc..
Also wasn't real happy with handling/steering so corrected with new tires properly inflated for actual weight, and addition of a steer-safe system. Very relaxing to drive now, of course I usually keep it around 65 mph.
Good luck, have fun, the work will be worth it!
gklehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #9

That doesn't sound too bad! I'm looking forward to getting it out and actually using it, almost done with all of the repairs so I can get everything back where it goes. I'll post pics of before and after when it's done. Thanks for the help!

Tags
gulfstream window leak