Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #1

Bunk Water Damage Rebuild

I recently discovered severe water damage under the cab bunk of my gulfstream conquest classic, the water leaked in through the track of the window on the right side and ran down the wall, where it settled under the bunk and rotted the wood and styrofoam and part of the wall. I'm putting up some pictures of my repairs and rebuild of the bunk. I hope this helps anyone with similar problems
DRL25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #2

Getting all of the rotted wood and styrofoam out

Putting in the new styrofoam

Cutting out and putting down the new wood

Screwing down the new wood

After removing the rotted wood from the wall, I covered it with wall paneling

And the other side to match

Then Stained the wood and extended the wall paneling all the way across

I put wood trim around the edge where the green fabric used to be

Put in the new insulation in the front and the mounts for the green edge pieces

And mounted the front edge piece

Mounts for the side edge pieces

Mounted the tracks and the wood for the bunk

And it's finished!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice Job!!! That looks great!
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #4

A great job! I wish I had posted my repair pictures (as you did) to help you and others. Of course really wish someone else had posted pics to help me! And last comment, after looking at your repair, may need to tear mine out and start over!!
Happy travels, please post anymore repairs you do. You do great work and your postings will help "repair challenged" folks like me out.

Greg, Karen and the kids (golden retriever and maniac choc. lab).
gklehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #5

One of my favorite things about this site is the generous folks who take the time to document their repairs and modifications with photos, as you've done. I've gotten quite a few ideas that way.

Nice job.

liz
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #6

Fantastic job. Looks better than new.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great job. The finished repair looked fantastic. A note to all class C owners. This is the most common problem with class C's. The long overhang of the bed causes the structure to flex and starts water leaks. You must check the windows and edge trim and keep them sealed.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:32 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to hwyd Send a message via Yahoo to hwyd Send a message via Skype™ to hwyd
Very good job, and enjoyed being able to see the pictures as you went along. Think before the rain sets in here, I should probably check ours out. I know the trim molding on the outside the covers the seam on the overhang on the drivers side is starting to pull away and looks like possible water damage and the window may just be the cause. Will look closer this week, when I take the mh into my friend's shop. Once again, thank you for posting your work...
hwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to johnnytugs1 Send a message via Yahoo to johnnytugs1
Nice job and nice pic's. thanks for taking the time to post'm up!
JT
johnnytugs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #11

Thanks for the photographing each phases. I notice some water in my bunk on the first trip I took with a 2004 Jayco I purchase used. I notice water coming out of the trim area on the driver's side lower corner as I cleaned it up to caulk. I drill a small hole on the bottom of the trim which let the water drip out over a couple of days. But after seeing what you have done. I think maybe I should tear it out and see what the damage really maybe. I have been through a couple of rain storms senses then and have not seen any water in bunk area. I have left the small drain hole open and it is at the low point when the MH is parked. Any thoughts as how I should view this incident and what action I should take if any at this time.?

Thanks,
Don
Huntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #12

Great job...thx for sharing!
ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #13

Water Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntd View Post
Thanks for the photographing each phases. I notice some water in my bunk on the first trip I took with a 2004 Jayco I purchase used. I notice water coming out of the trim area on the driver's side lower corner as I cleaned it up to caulk. I drill a small hole on the bottom of the trim which let the water drip out over a couple of days. But after seeing what you have done. I think maybe I should tear it out and see what the damage really maybe. I have been through a couple of rain storms senses then and have not seen any water in bunk area. I have left the small drain hole open and it is at the low point when the MH is parked. Any thoughts as how I should view this incident and what action I should take if any at this time.?

Thanks,
Don
Hey Don, Sorry for the late reply I haven't been on for a while.
If I were you I would try to locate the source of the problem before doing any repairs if possible, I found mine was coming from the right bunk window were the weep holes were clogged and water was coming in through a seal between the two window panes. If you do find the problem or have fixed it already I would check to see what the damage is and if the wood and styrofoam are rotted, and go from there.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #14

That looks familiar, I am doing the same repair to mine as we speak. Excellent job. I can just hope mine turns out as well... Thanks for the pictures
TX CO. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk water damage