RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #1

Buying a toad

I'm planning on buying a toad and I'm wondering do I need to buy the car first before I put the hitch on or is there a one-size-fits-all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Donald M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 10:43 PM   #2

You can get the stuff on the motorhome side before buying the toad as long as your hitch receiver and tow bar have sufficient weight carrying capacity for whatever toad you intend to buy. I think my hitch receiver is rated to 10k pounds and my tow bar (came with my coach when I bought it) is rated to 6k pounds, so I just had to make sure my toad would be under 6k pounds unless I wanted to buy a stronger tow bar. What toad do you intend to buy?

Old 03-21-2019, 11:11 PM   #3

There are different base plates that fit different cars so no it's not one size fits all. The toad comes before the tow equipment. If you have a diesel then utilize the air for brakes.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of motorhome do you have? Gas or diesel?

Does it have a receiver hitch on the rear and is there a label on the hitch showing the weight rating?

Store : Remco

The Remco website will tell you how to make any car 4 down towable if possible.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #5

I would wait to get the toad first then get the stuff needed for the coach. If you install it yourself it may not be that big a deal. If you are having a shop install it then I would get everything together that way they can make sure that it’s all installed correctly. I would hate to pay for the install on the coach then bring it back and discover that it all didn’t work properly and it all has to be redone.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There are a number of things to consider. First, is picking a car/SUV that is towable. There are lots of options, but you want to make sure the specific vehicle and transmission will work.

The other side of the equation is the tow bar and braking. If your motorhome has air suspension, you can use a braking system like Air Force One that ties into the motorhome braking. If not, then you'll need another braking solution. I opted for the Ready Brute Elite tow bar with surge braking, which is very simple to use. There are other ways to do the braking, so ask around and do a little research before you decide.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #7

The coach came with hitch receiver already on it I haven't looked to see what weight it is rated for. I'm looking to buy a small hatchback like maybe a Honda or a Toyota. I'm looking for a car that I can go exploring in when I park the rig. It's just me and the dog.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 PM   #8

Not all cars are towable. In fact, some cars are towable for certain yeas and not towable for others. As recommended by Arch Hoagland, if you find a car you'd like as a toad, check out on the Remco website to find out if it can be towed.

Store : Remco
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Many of the smaller Japanese cars are not towable except with a manual transmission. Even with the manual transmission, some aren't, so double check the owner's manual, Remco, etc. Some of the domestic hatchbacks are towable with either tranny.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #10

Thanks to everybody for the great suggestions. I will buy the toad first before I do anything about the hitch. I have downloaded a bunch of PDFs on various makes models and years of cars that can be towed. I am definitely going to get a manual transmission.

Donald M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, toad