Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Buying local or no?

Here's a question to pose:

How important is it that we buy local? We've found a dealer that's about 6hrs away. There aren't any near us that sell the C that we want. Are we crazy? Do people travel far and wide to get what they want or do they stick with what's available near the sticks & bricks?

If we needed warranty work done, would we HAVE to go back to that dealer or could we take it somewhere else? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This is actually a common question and not an easy one to answer. I think that it is certainly true that many, many people travel far and wide to find the right rig at the right price.

As for getting warranty work done... it really varies and just seems to depend on the luck of the draw in your local area.

I purchased a new DP and the dealer really emphasized that their customers went to the front of the line when scheduling appointments with their service department. The implication was that it could be very difficult to get warranty work done if I didn't buy the coach there.

True or not, I don't know but they always provided me with outstanding personal service.

If you're a great distance from the nearest dealer and you want to buy new, it might make sense to find out how the various manufacturers authorize warranty support in your part of the country and use that as a consideration. Depending on the time and flexibility you have, you can also just plan to travel to the dealer to have your list fixed and stay there for a night or two. It's pretty common for dealer shops to have limited hook ups available and to let full timers stay in their rigs at night while they're being worked on.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had my rig worked on by dealers 2000 miles from my home because that is where I was and places in between. Basically they all were glad to see me and work on my unit some warranty some not. I believe dealers make a lot of money in the repair department, so the more the better.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
Here's a question to pose:

How important is it that we buy local? We've found a dealer that's about 6hrs away. There aren't any near us that sell the C that we want. Are we crazy? Do people travel far and wide to get what they want or do they stick with what's available near the sticks & bricks?

If we needed warranty work done, would we HAVE to go back to that dealer or could we take it somewhere else? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!

We drove 6 hours to buy our coach for a savings of 15,000 dollars so for us it was worth it and it was through a camping world dealer and i had my warranty work done at a camping world dealer 5 minutes from my house since they also sold the same line of coach with no hassles but found it amazing they would not match the price on the same coach that they also had on their lot
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Many, if not all, dealers and shops work on rigs sold elsewhere. In fact, when I took my previous MH back to the selling dealership for the first time for warranty work, they could only fix half the items that were covered. I had to find another dealer to do the rest of the warranty work -they did a better job even though I never bought anything from them. You might call around to local dealers just to make sure.... I'm on my third MH, and IMHO there are plenty of sellers and plenty repairers, and they don't always reside under the same roof. Happy trails.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd travel clear across the country to buy an RV if need be and I have a friend who did just that. He saved about $5,000 on the cost of a new trailer that way.

If you're on the road with the RV and have a problem you won't be near the selling dealer anyway.

Call the manufacturer of the RV you are looking at and ask them what their policy is for repairs while traveling, etc.

So, in my opinion, I don't think it is important to buy locally.