Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

Buying new MH - PLEASE HELP

Hi All,
I am totally new to RVing and to this site. I would be very appreciative if I could get some opinions on which new MH to buy.

My wife and I have 2 children under 2 yrs. old and we are looking to take frequent short trips (long weekends) and perhaps a few lasting about 2-3 weeks. I want to be maneuverable in cities, yet have all the amenities and storage, so we are thinking of a class C around 22' or 23'

I started looking last week, but they all seem the same. Same layout, same features, etc. What is the best brand? I'd like to find the BMW of 23' class C motorhomes. I'm looking for the best quality, with the fewest problems, best warranty/service, ease of part replacement, best features and amenities, etc. Price is not a major consideration.

Any and all opinions will be much appreciated!
Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buying new MH - PLEASE HELP

Welcome to irv2. I'm sure our Class C members will try to assist.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck in your search and decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #4

Welcome I am new also and bought a class a and do not like it. I do not feel it is safe, no airbags and many other things. I have spent the last two months seaching for something safer and easier to hsndle. I like the mercedes sprinters. I have done a lot of reasesrch and online questions. Look inoto the Itasca Navion or my favorite Leasure travel unity van 25 feet no slides sn well built. Good Luck and make sure you look at many but it sounds like you like better construction look into a LT Unity, made in Canada
Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I have a 2012 Thor Freedom Elite 26E Class C - 26 foot easy to operate like the power but I would have gotten a Gulf Stream BT CRUISER Class B also called a B+ or Super B, (but when we got ours there was not a lot of choice). it is basically a the same as a C except that there is no over cap bunk it is an entertainment center instead and because of that it is more streamlined and with a diesel gets over twice the mpg as my class c, will warn you now that as you use one you find things you like and dislike on what you have as your needs change.

One of the best things you can do is to go to an RV Show which will have a bigger choice to choose and compare from on size and interior layout

Welcome to the RV world
Old 08-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suggest renting a class C for a week or so. You will soon discover what you want and DON'T want.

The most important thing is layout and whether your wife likes the layout.

If momma ain't happy, no one is happy.

If you are going to buy from a dealership I would suggest going into the service department and talking to the customers who are there for service. Just sit down and observe for a half hour. You will soon pick up on good or bad vibes.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #7

We jumped right in when we started RVing. We bought a Winnebago Aspect 26A for the same reasons you mentioned. We loved it. The coach had a much higher build quality than most of the other makers we looked at and it performed flawlessly for us for three years, until we replaced it with another Winnebago product; an Itasca Cambria 27K. We looked at lots the second time around and were never satisfied with the quality of the other manufacturers. I'm biased but I will tell you to look at a Winnebago or Itasca.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #8

Thank you all very much. This is great information. After careful review and research, I am leaning toward the Winnebago View 24J with Mercedes Benz sprinter chassis as my first choice.
Anyone have any comments or feedback based on direct experience with the Winnebago View?

Also, I'm driving from New Brunswick, Canada to New York (in a minivan) tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a big dealership along the way I can stop in?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #9

I have a 2012 View 24J that I bought new and love it. It handles well and drives like a big van. The Sprinter has had plenty on power for me, even in the mountains east of the Mississippi River (I have not had it to the Rockies yet). I do not tow a vehicle as I find it is easy to park in all but the tightest situations. Fuel milage has ranged from 15-17 mpg. Like most Class C MH, you have to be careful with weight, but it just keeps me from carrying unneeded junk. Storage space is not bad, but not a lot of places for large items. It has a reasonable size bath for a C. Very few problems (broken storage compartment handle and small plumbing leak) that were easily handled by the dealer. I did install HWH levelers. They have a model made for Sprinters. I like the 1 button leveling and eliminates all the bounce when parked. The bounce is not too bad, but I like the solid feeling on the jacks. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #10

We're just starting to look at RV's with the expectation of purchasing in 12-18 months. In the mean time we're planning to rent RV's for our next 3-5 trips to find out what we like and don't like. We're a couple and our adult child has already asked to borrow the RV, as soon as we get it.

So far here's our list:
- Sleeps 4-6 adults, 8 means there's space which can be put to better use
- Bedroom, which can be divided off from rest of vehicle.
- Queen+ bed, I'm 6'2"
- Good sized refrigerator
- 50 amp is a plus
- Automatic levelers
- Backup cameras, side cameras a plus
- Separate toilet, shower and not in the bedroom
- 3 burner stove
- the list goes on and on and hasn't started condensing yet.

Thoughts
- Upgraded batteries (AGM?), solar panels for charging?
- Black, Grey, White water tank capacity

Books, $3-7 on Amazon which were useful
Good
- Buying the Perfect RV by Zotti
- Tips for the RV Life by Burr

Less useful
- My house has wheels by Poindexter

Good luck,

Jack
Old 09-09-2014, 11:46 PM   #11

Pay attention to the details of weight, wheel base and how much over hand you have.

All these things make the coach easier to drive.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Jack
Recommend you get use to your RV before letting the adult child use it. Our insurance specifically asked if we would be letting others use it.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesView12 View Post
I have a 2012 View 24J that I bought new and love it. It handles well and drives like a big van. The Sprinter has had plenty on power for me, even in the mountains east of the Mississippi River (I have not had it to the Rockies yet). I do not tow a vehicle as I find it is easy to park in all but the tightest situations. Fuel milage has ranged from 15-17 mpg. Like most Class C MH, you have to be careful with weight, but it just keeps me from carrying unneeded junk. Storage space is not bad, but not a lot of places for large items. It has a reasonable size bath for a C. Very few problems (broken storage compartment handle and small plumbing leak) that were easily handled by the dealer. I did install HWH levelers. They have a model made for Sprinters. I like the 1 button leveling and eliminates all the bounce when parked. The bounce is not too bad, but I like the solid feeling on the jacks. Good luck with your search.
Awesome! Thank you. I'm going to go with the exact same unit. Lookiing to buy it new from a dealer. Any tips to buy it? Any options I should consider?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #14

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your concern. We will check with our insurance company about coverage and and before our adult child uses it, we'll have used it several times.

We're also going to require the two of them take a RV driving class before driving it.

Jack