Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #29

Proud owner of a 2015 fourwinds 33sw(thor), wile it does have sum of the thor shabby construction, we love it, 11or so mpg, 600ft lb of torque, and you have to keep an eye on the speedo, she wants to run. cons, black tank is flat bottom, so toilet paper collects under the throne, fix-lots of water, or my preference is a stick, ha, not pretty but saves water ,rear mudflap brackets tend to tear the screws fron the plastic inners, bolts and washers done deal. cameras are al good, thor front fenders dont fit the cab correctly

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 04:57 AM   #30

I have friend with a class C, E350 chassis with the Ford 7.3 diesel. I am not sre what year or the make, but it is not a Super C or Euro based, just a good old Ford. It is probably 30+ feet...been a while since I seen it last.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #31

AFAIK that is not a stock unit. It must have cost a bundle to convert. Some folks just have to mess with success like the V-10. ;-)
Old 09-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
AFAIK that is not a stock unit. It must have cost a bundle to convert. Some folks just have to mess with success like the V-10. ;-)
nothermark; I got lost somewhere....what is AFAIK?

Chief
Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #33

As far as I know
Old 09-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersrp View Post
Proud owner of a 2015 fourwinds 33sw(thor), wile it does have sum of the thor shabby construction, we love it, 11or so mpg, 600ft lb of torque, and you have to keep an eye on the speedo, she wants to run. cons, black tank is flat bottom, so toilet paper collects under the throne, fix-lots of water, or my preference is a stick, ha, not pretty but saves water ,rear mudflap brackets tend to tear the screws fron the plastic inners, bolts and washers done deal. cameras are al good, thor front fenders dont fit the cab correctly
We have a 2014 33SW and can pretty much echo these comments, down to paddling with a stick to make things flow, although it appears to me the black tank comes up to with a couple of inches of the bottom of the toilet and is prone to blockage. It drives easy with lots of power and not a lot of cab noise, a bit more noise back in the coach.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #35

Here is a link to RV Trader where they have 2254 diesel class C motorhomes. There's everything from a 1984 Ford for $7,500 up to a 2017 Renegade (basically a semi cab 45' RV) for $750,000.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #36

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee Chief View Post
Thanks, guys for all your comments and suggestions. In addition to the Thor 550, I'm also going to look at the Dynamax Isata 5 with the Dodge Cummins diesel. They are both in the 36' +- range. If anyone has one or has test driven one I would appreciate your input. Thanks again.

Chief
We bought an Isata 5 last July and I can tell you, it was the best decision we have made. Plenty of power, tons of room for the wife and I and two dogs. I've averaged 11.4 MPG since we bought it. Lucky for us we have had zero issues with it until this week. We seem to have a small issue with the black water flush system that will be looked at next week.

We have put almost 19,000 miles on it since we bought it and both myself and the wife drive it (she hated driving our previous class A.)

We just started flat towing our F150 and the Cummings doesn't miss a beat, even with the 4,500lb Ford behind it.

The best thing about the Dynamax is that there is a specific Dynamax forum on the FR site and the GM and other Dynamax employees frequent the forum and usually answer any questions about the units within a couple of hours (even on the weekends sometime)

If you need any more or more specific info, PM me.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:23 AM   #37

Quote:
nothermark; I got lost somewhere....what is AFAIK?

Chief
Lovin2Camp answered but I thought I'd add this. I don't want to fork this thread but a couple of common shortcuts are:

AFAIK - As Far As I Know

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion

FWIW - For What It's Worth

They are common setup comments that reduce message size and typing.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:57 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrzasa View Post
We bought an Isata 5 last July and I can tell you, it was the best decision we have made. Plenty of power, tons of room for the wife and I and two dogs. I've averaged 11.4 MPG since we bought it. Lucky for us we have had zero issues with it until this week. We seem to have a small issue with the black water flush system that will be looked at next week.

We have put almost 19,000 miles on it since we bought it and both myself and the wife drive it (she hated driving our previous class A.)

We just started flat towing our F150 and the Cummings doesn't miss a beat, even with the 4,500lb Ford behind it.

The best thing about the Dynamax is that there is a specific Dynamax forum on the FR site and the GM and other Dynamax employees frequent the forum and usually answer any questions about the units within a couple of hours (even on the weekends sometime)

Thanks for the positive feedback. We are, hopefully, going to look at one next week at MHS in Alvarado, Texas. Where did you buy yours?

Chief
Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrzasa View Post

rrzasa, I'm not familiar with the "FR" site. Can you direct me to it. I've trying to uncover specs for the 6.7L Cummins engine. There appears significant difference in horsepower & torque between the 3500 and 5500 Dodge Cummins engines.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
rrzasa, I'm not familiar with the "FR" site. Can you direct me to it. I've trying to uncover specs for the 6.7L Cummins engine. There appears significant difference in horsepower & torque between the 3500 and 5500 Dodge Cummins engines.
I think he means Forest River. Here is the link...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f240/

Both the Ford Powerstroke and Cummins are detuned in motorhome applications. I assume this is for reliability?

The Isata 5 (Ram 5500) appears to be a great rig except that it has a very light cargo carrying capacity (CCC) because it is so large and heavy but if you have any doubts about the power, just know that Newmar is using the same Cummins engine in their new diesel pusher called the 'New Aire" which has a GCWR of 48,600 lbs! I think that is too much weight for the ISB but the experts seem to think it isn't.
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I think he means Forest River. Here is the link...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f240/

Both the Ford Powerstroke and Cummins are detuned in motorhome applications. I assume this is for reliability?

The Isata 5 (Ram 5500) appears to be a great rig except that it has a very light cargo carrying capacity (CCC) because it is so large and heavy but if you have any doubts about the power, just know that Newmar is using the same Cummins engine in their new diesel pusher called the 'New Aire" which has a GCWR of 48,600 lbs! I think that is too much weight for the ISB but the experts seem to think it isn't.
Thanks, tankcj.....but I'm getting more confused all the time. Does Forest River build the Isata 5 (Ram 5500)? Are Dynamax and Forest River related? Forgive my ignorance, but currently it's all I have.

Chief
Old 09-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #42

Dynamax is a division of Forest River, but a completely different facility and management group. If you look at the Dynamax sub-forum on the FR site, you will find numerous threads on all the Dynamax models. Dynamax only does C class in all sizes. I bought the Isata 3 on the MB chassis this past May because after looking for a couple of years and two trips to the Tampa RV show, I thought they had the best product for the money with lots of standard features not seen on the competition.

If you want more CCC, then look at the new Isata 5 30FW they are just rolling out at the Pomona show. It came off the scales at close to 2,800 lbs CCC. The full wall slide creates a ton of room when open and you can still get to the back when driving.

Tags
diesel