Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

C Class Diesel

Does anyone make a C-Class with a diesel engine? It seems like I heard of a Ford Diesel powered C-Class but I am having no luck with Google. Thanks.

Chief
Seabee Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Look for any of the Sprinter based Class-C units. Leisure Travel, Pleasureway, Airstream, etc.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you're looking for a Ford they are few and far between. When we bought our new 1997 Type C the dealer had a diesel powered Type C on his lot, it was at least $10,000 more than the same floorplan in gas so we bypassed it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

Smile

Chief,
We have a Thor "super c" 35sf they are made on ford f550 diesel is that what you are thinking?
willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Add RoadTrek and Winnebago to that list. Lots of them out there.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #6

RV Trip Wizard
We have a Super C by Jayco, the Embark, which is not in production any longer, but they still make the Seneca on a Freightliner chassis with a Cummins diesel.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #7

There are two families of diesel class C motorhomes.

The small one's built on Sprinter/Mercedes/not sure who owns them now supplier and the super C's. The small end works on short chassis but tow and cargo capacity can be an issue. They give fuel economy bragging rights at a cost that does not make up the difference between them and the gas engines unless you do many, many miles.

The high end of the spectrum is the Super C built on Ford F550 truck chassis. If you need to tow your 10,000 lb race trailer they can do it. Almost everything else is built on the Ford E-350 or E-450 Chassis with the V-10 gas engine. A good enough combination that most of us in that range don't want to pay the extra cost or take the extra weight of a diesel.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee Chief View Post
Does anyone make a C-Class with a diesel engine? It seems like I heard of a Ford Diesel powered C-Class but I am having no luck with Google. Thanks.

Chief
Yes virtually every European manufacturer.
(I understand this might be a less than useful answer)
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #9

Thanks, guys. I'm going to google "Super C" and see what happens. Thanks for all the responses.

Chief
Old 07-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
SeeBee Chief- The Class C RV's on the Mercedes diesel chassis are easy to handle, and as mentioned get good (15-16mpg) mileage and come in various configurations. Tow capacity is 3500 to 5000# depending on manufacturer.

In addition to Thor, models by Winnebago (Navion and View) and Prism by Coachman. New is the Wayfarer by Tiffin. All on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis.

I've had my Siesta by Thor for 2 years and 24K miles and am very happy with performance and layout.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/siesta-sprinter
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowrun View Post
Chief,
We have a Thor "super c" 35sf they are made on ford f550 diesel is that what you are thinking?
Yes...that is what I'm looking at/for. I would like some feedback on the power and cab noise while pulling a toad or motorcycle trailer. Is the power adequate for pulling a toad? When you are going up the hills in Colorado, how much cab noise is there when it goes into passing gear?

Where to you get the Ford Diesel serviced?

Chief
Old 07-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #12

Red face

Chief,
Your signature does not say what area you are from but if you can find a dealer
That has a Thor 550 try to get there, climb around and drive it! Ours is a beast! Tow a jeep but never been to Colorado, but sure if you search around a bit you will find others that have. We know other owners that tow horse trailer with theirs fully loaded with the horses and tack and equipment! She is not noisy or smelly at all... we get 11.7 mpg right now if we stay in the sweet spot on the highways of about 62 as top speed....she is quiet when you drive, and when we pull into our site people have actually asked if it was a diesel because they could not tell from noise or smell. There are also Facebook groups for Thor and a Thor Super C group if you use Facebook.....depending on what model you want they have a few- like bunk or overhead tv with storage but we love ours! You have to look up truck service centers and get them serviced there.... we had our steering aligned and generator oil changed with no issues.....you do not take them to Ford truck/car dealers as they do not have super duty experience enough nor lifts or bays to accommodate the RV portion to service. She drives like a dream in all weather and on the highway being wind buffeted..... we are enjoying this model very much! Hope this helps!
willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #13

My wife and I just bought a 2017 Thor Compass... Ford Transit 350 5 cyl. des.

Amazing driver... great mileage and sooooo easy to drive and park!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1030415.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	168805  
T-Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Lite View Post
My wife and I just bought a 2017 Thor Compass... Ford Transit 350 5 cyl. des.

Amazing driver... great mileage and sooooo easy to drive and park!
I looked at a Thor Gemini which is similar to the Compass with Ford Transit chassis and liked it. A slick little Class C (or B+) depending on who is selling it.

There is also the Winnebago Fuse on the Ford Transit diesel chassis. Very nice but move expensive and I'm not sure it's worth the extra bucks for the Winnebago name.

It is encouraging that you like your Compass. Which floor plan?

Jonathan
jonathan55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel