Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

Cab view in a class A vs C- (B+)

Hi, we chose a class A because of the panoramic view it offers while driving.

The main inconvenience is that I could not back it in the driveway, between my house and the neighbour's (10'4") because:
- the mirrors stick out too much
- the side door would not open wide enough to let me out

Most Sprinter based MH are less than 8' wide and the mirrors can easily be folded in if need be.
But our main worry is about the cab view

We drove to Alaska and through the Canadian Rockies and the scenery is worth the trip and the view offered by the huge windshield makes you part of the scenery.

Sooooo...

How is the scenery while sitting in a smaller cab such as a MB Sprinter?

My question is addressed to all, but I am particularly interested to hear about those who downsized from A to B+
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 11:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm sorry that I can't answer from an A to B+ but I can say that the cab view of surroundings is quite a bit better on a sprinter chassis than a Ford E series or Chevy C series van chassis (I've owned those as well). I like the seating position over those as well as the larger side windows and windshield of the Sprinter.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
from an A to a C

We worried about the loss of view too...but don't miss it that much..the cab over bunk was more important, the ride and handling is better with the C too.
And the glare and heat in that big front window is not missed at all.
We had the Southwind 32ft. A for 15 years, there was a bit of adjustment time, but now quite happy with our new 29Mmv Jayco Greyhawk.
Stevewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #4

I have a Sprinter based MH\ (Itasca/Winnebago Navion). The side mirrors don't seem to fold in. Is there a special trick to get them folded in?
Old 04-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
I can say that the cab view of surroundings is quite a bit better on a sprinter chassis than a Ford E series or Chevy C series van chassis (I've owned those as well). I like the seating position over those as well as the larger side windows and windshield of the Sprinter.
I just came back from a Forest River dealer and sat in a Sprinter cab AND a Ford cab. The Ford has a higher dash and a lower cab roof resulting in a much smaller windshield and side windows

I think I would easily get used to the smaller driving environment, but will I lack the feel of vastness of the front of the class A when parked ?
Old 04-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #6

You should check out the view in a Ford Transit based coach. The windshield is huge in my Fuse and I agree that the panoramic views from a large piece of glass are amazing. The downside of letting in all that heat is also a tradeoff.

Don
2017 Winnebago Fuse 23a
Tallahassee, Fl
The conFUSEd RVer
dp226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
I just came back from a Forest River dealer and sat in a Sprinter cab AND a Ford cab. The Ford has a higher dash and a lower cab roof resulting in a much smaller windshield and side windows

I think I would easily get used to the smaller driving environment, but will I lack the feel of vastness of the front of the class A when parked ?
I've been wondering the same thing, and that's why I'm drawn to the Winnebago Via. It's still the same small Sprinter chassis, but Winnebago took the entire front cab off the cutaway and replaced it with a custom class A front cap. Have you looked at/sat in the Via? If so I'd love to hear your feedback on it.

Also, I see that Thor has done something similar with their Vegas and Axis "RUV" on the Ford chassis if those are more to your liking.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #8

Airbags and cab doors were a big plus for us. Liked the handling of the C on the E450 chassis the best of all we drove. It boiled down to a combination of floor plan, cargo capacity, and handling when we finally had to choose between a b+, C, or short A for our use. The Ford Transport chassis wasn't available yet but would most likely have gone with something larger anyway.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:45 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
With our sprinter chassis, we have swivels on the front seats to give more seating area when parked. It's nice to have. The top bunk also swings out of the way giving an open feel and I like the large Seitz skylight that opens for ventilation.

For me, the added safety of airbags in Cutaway chassis is also great to have.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #10

Much prefer the safety and convenience of my Ford cab while driving. I don't think I miss anything while driving. The front doors are nice too. However, when parked in a scenic campground or on the lake, I miss my class A. I do not miss washing my class A windshield.
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp226 View Post
You should check out the view in a Ford Transit based coach. The windshield is huge in my Fuse and I agree that the panoramic views from a large piece of glass are amazing.
Don
2017 Winnebago Fuse 23a
Tallahassee, Fl
The conFUSEd RVer
I did check the Trend from Winnebago and was amazed by the view it offers sitting in the cab. Unfortunately, no floorplan include a living area extension yet.... coming from a class A
Old 04-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
I've been wondering the same thing, and that's why I'm drawn to the Winnebago Via. It's still the same small Sprinter chassis, but Winnebago took the entire front cab off the cutaway and replaced it with a custom class A front cap. Have you looked at/sat in the Via? If so I'd love to hear your feedback on it.

Also, I see that Thor has done something similar with their Vegas and Axis "RUV" on the Ford chassis if those are more to your liking.
I have been in a few Via and Axis/Vegas as well.
The Via is worth the 20k added cost. And the Axis offers many interesting floorplans.

Neither will allow me to get out of my MH once it is in my driveway: I need a smaller cab with doors that open wide enough allow me out and walk along the brick wall on either side (10'4" total driveway width).
Old 04-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #13

We went to a Class C, because the cab in the A got sooo hot in the summer in the South with all that glass, and because we like the cozy feeling in the C cab... and then there is the security aspect. The A only had one door, and it's far from the pumps. We've had to stop for gas at some, well, less than charming gas stations. I was happy to be very close to the cab door when fueling on those dark and stormy nights.

The change in the view is just different, not better or worse.

We looked at a Sprinter class, but the parts and maintenance were almost twice as much as the E350 / E450 units, and it wasn't as easy to find a mechanic on the road, as it is for the Ford chassis.
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #14

Before we went to a class A, we had a very nice class C Ford. The one thing that bothered me when driving at night, (like in wide open areas like Wyoming) is that the overhead bunk blocked any view of the night sky. No moon, no stars etc. Felt like driving in a looooong tunnel. Your B+ probably doesn't do that though.
Larry n Jude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a