Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #1

Cabover leak with wood rot

My husband and I bought a Class C 1999 Itasca Spirit by Winnebago two months ago. The guy we bought it from was the original owner and took excellent care of it with the exception of roof maintenance. We live in southern California and after the recent rains discovered a pretty serious leak that caused significant wood rot in the floor of the cabover as well as the passenger side cabover panel. The source of the leak was the seam below the cabover curve on the passenger side. You could literally push the underside fiberglass panel up with your finger where the seam is and see water dripping out. The entire floor panel is not toast... only the front piece of wood that's about 2"wide but runs length wise across. We removed it and dried everything out. We also peeled the upper outer side fiberglass panel back just enough to chip away the wet wood.
Now the question is, what to do next? I've read all the horror stories posted resulting in many sleepless nights. I don't want to do a "bandaid" job. We have it secured indoors now and are hoping we can fix it ourselves.
Liselotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Two examples of some fixes that looked a lot, lot worst than they were. Maybe this will give you some ideas on repairs.

1) I had the upper side wall on my Ole Toyhouse rotted. Not to serious and actually fairly easy to repair. The inside wall was toast, but only minor structural damage.

Cabover Rot Repair - Improvement and Do-It-Yourself Projects you have done to Share! - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

2) Here is a repair I did on our Mirada. This looked very, very bad and was probably the reason the seller couldn't get rid of it. It looked a lot worst than it was.

Repair interior wall de-lamination damage | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

\..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
We repaired several class C coaches with the overhead bunk damage. The overhang sits out and stresses over every bump. After a while the sealant and trims work loose a leak starts. WE NEVER removed the outside paneling. Always removed all the wood from inside. We saved all the rotten wood and used it as a pattern. Even if it is soggy soft, If you carefully remove it, you can use it as a pattern. That is the secret. use the same pattern as they did and go back just as it came out. It is not near the daunting task you first think it is. My first one, I was scared to death. By the last one, I was laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

Thank you "Waiter 21" for sharing your repair job. I can see that what one considers 'fairly easy' can be another persons worse nightmare. You clearly are skilled at the craft. I really appreciate how you dialogued each step and included photos along the way. I am a nurse and the bodies I work with don't have wheels. That said I have a lot to learn. I took some photos of the damage today which I hope to unload this evening. We have a fiberglass shell opposed to aluminum. Not sure if the steps and or material would be the same?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #5

Not sure we'll be laughing any time soon Ga Traveler, wish I could say differently. Unfortunately, we already peeled the fiberglass side panel back a bit. Will upload photos tonight. I couldn't think of any other way to remove the wet-rotted wood sitting just beneath that area. The inner (interior panel) is solid with no signs of damage.
My other question is in regards to the Styrofoam... How do I know whether or not it's damaged? The area of styrofoam I'm referring to is below the front cabover window. It looks old (well it is a 1999) but is that all I base it on?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselotte View Post
Not sure we'll be laughing any time soon Ga Traveler, wish I could say differently. Unfortunately, we already peeled the fiberglass side panel back a bit. Will upload photos tonight. I couldn't think of any other way to remove the wet-rotted wood sitting just beneath that area. The inner (interior panel) is solid with no signs of damage.
My other question is in regards to the Styrofoam... How do I know whether or not it's damaged? The area of styrofoam I'm referring to is below the front cabover window. It looks old (well it is a 1999) but is that all I base it on?
The Styrofoam will be full of mold and I would replace. I would remove the fiberglass from the sides to gain better access.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
You are lucky if the inside is still in good shape. I would go from the outside. Just bend the fiberglass back carefully, So it doesn't crack. Styrofoam does not absorb water, I doubt it is moldy. I have found mold in the wood but not in the styrofoam. Since styrofoam does not absorb water, I would check it good and if I found surface mold, I would spray the styrofoam with a mixture of 80%water and 20% clorox or a regular mildew killer.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #8

I've attached a few images that may be helpful understanding our water damage a little more clearly. You can see how we peeled back the outer skin above the passenger side. It's a bit daunting each time I look at it as I'm nervous that we may not be able to seal it properly and water will again leak through the seams. My other concern is structural. The last two images are taken after we removed the rotted wood inside the cab. We are using a light to help dry it all out.

Oops.. I see the pictures downloaded upside down. sorry, not sure how to flip them. Please note the that you are look at the floor board in picture 3 and 4, not above the curvature area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	151215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	151216  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1101.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	151217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1102.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	151218  

Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
This will help you understand how the walls are made

https://youtu.be/E9XpPDHaG5I
Old 02-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #10

so I'm curious to know how important it is to have the interior fiberglass super clean, free of all adhesive prior to reassembling. We scraped what rotted wood we could off but not sure how to remove the adhesive or if it's really necessary anyways?

Also, the 2x3 piece of wood that we removed seemed to have been attached to a wider support board made of luan with a styrofoam center and then perhaps another piece of wood. As I said earlier, the only rotted piece in the cabover floor was the that 2x4 that ran length wise. So, my question is... do we just reattach a regular piece of 2x4 to the luan-styrofoam piece and glue it to the interior fiberglass. I should also mention that the only material that sits infront of the 2x4 that we are replacing is styrofoam (about 3/4"). I've read that styrofoam does not degrade or rot, but now I hear different. So I'm confused.. does it need to be replaced or not? Seems pretty difficult to pull away from the fiberglass.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
so I'm curious to know how important it is to have the interior fiberglass super clean, free of all adhesive prior to reassembling. We scraped what rotted wood we could off but not sure how to remove the adhesive or if it's really necessary anyways?

Also, the 2x3 piece of wood that we removed seemed to have been attached to a wider support board made of luan with a styrofoam center and then perhaps another piece of wood. As I said earlier, the only rotted piece in the cabover floor was the that 2x4 that ran length wise. So, my question is... do we just reattach a regular piece of 2x4 to the luan-styrofoam piece and glue it to the interior fiberglass. I should also mention that the only material that sits infront of the 2x4 that we are replacing is styrofoam (about 3/4"). I've read that styrofoam does not degrade or rot, but now I hear different. So I'm confused.. does it need to be replaced or not? Seems pretty difficult to pull away from the fiberglass.
The quality of the exterior wall material has changed greatly over the years. A problem that plagued the RV industry early on was delamination. With this damage, there is water regression in between the wall interior panel, sometimes known as Luan, and the exterior filon sheeting. The moisture will compromise the adhesive and you will see bubbling or warping along the wall surfaces. This type of damage may not be worth repairing in some cases, as replicating the manufacturing process is unattainable.

One method of fixing this is to use epoxy https://youtu.be/-M9CB0KRaTM
Be carful that the product does not eat up the foam You will need to replace all 2x2 or 2x4 damaged wood. You can buy Luan at lowes or home depot if needed.

I have used construction adhesive with good success when doing delamination repairs https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-PL-...play/999910199 I spread out and then used pressure on the repair area using ratchet straps and 2x4

You will find many youtube videos on this subject.

Tags
leak