Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #43

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a rig similar to yours and I can tell you with a good house battery, fully charged, mine will not run the furnace for more than a day without a recharge.

I found this out a few years ago while doing the exact same thing you are talking about doing. I left the furnace on a low setting (it was very cold) during the night. The next morning, I tried to fire up the generator to have some power and charge the battery...not enough juice. :( The wife was NOT very happy at all. You could say she was an un-happy camper for sure!
The weak battery combined with the cold temperature, wouldn't spin the generator fast enough to light.

Now, since then, I have found a somewhat cheap, and easy solution.

I have a 500w portable generator that I take along when dry camping. It uses a lot less fuel than the MH generator, it's a lot quieter, and I just use it to charge the house battery with a 10 amp battery charger.

Mine little generator is a Honda that I have had for years, it's a 4-stroke and will run (with a load) for about 8 hours on a 1/2 gallon of fuel or less. It's only 500watts peak, it won't power much, but it WILL run a battery charger with no problem.

Anyway, that's been my experience and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
I have a rig similar to yours and I can tell you with a good house battery, fully charged, mine will not run the furnace for more than a day without a recharge.

I found this out a few years ago while doing the exact same thing you are talking about doing. I left the furnace on a low setting (it was very cold) during the night. The next morning, I tried to fire up the generator to have some power and charge the battery...not enough juice. :( The wife was NOT very happy at all. You could say she was an un-happy camper for sure!
The weak battery combined with the cold temperature, wouldn't spin the generator fast enough to light.

Now, since then, I have found a somewhat cheap, and easy solution.

I have a 500w portable generator that I take along when dry camping. It uses a lot less fuel than the MH generator, it's a lot quieter, and I just use it to charge the house battery with a 10 amp battery charger.

Mine little generator is a Honda that I have had for years, it's a 4-stroke and will run (with a load) for about 8 hours on a 1/2 gallon of fuel or less. It's only 500watts peak, it won't power much, but it WILL run a battery charger with no problem.

Anyway, that's been my experience and I thought I'd share it with everyone.
Yea my wife would be very unhappy. Haha so sounds like if I dont find a small quiet generator I wont be camping. Lol haha now. I can see that my camper used to have a generator as the compartment has wiring. Not sure what wires do what....

Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #45

I've been thinking about getting a similar setup but am wondering why you couldn't just plug your shore power line into the portable generator. Would it be overcome if you turned on the microwave or coffeemaker? What would happen if you fired up the MH generator while plugged into the little portable?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Travis, something to consider if you are going to closed campgrounds, esp. if you are taking your wife with you... is that you won't be able to use the public restrooms as the water is shut off... only the hole in the ground type toilets work in the cold.... and that's cold on a ladies bare end...
You can't let the water go into your gray tank if it is freezing out either if you heat water for a sponge bath or dishes, must be dumped outside, or you risk freeze and bursting of the gray tanks if they are not enclosed and heated.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaddinmad40 View Post
I've been thinking about getting a similar setup but am wondering why you couldn't just plug your shore power line into the portable generator. Would it be overcome if you turned on the microwave or coffeemaker? What would happen if you fired up the MH generator while plugged into the little portable?
We plug our shore cord into the generator just fine. The genny rides on a rack in back or a tray on the trailer we pull. It powers the air conditioner when we travel because the air in the cab is non functional.The generator in our unit was removed. I don't know about firing up the MoHO generator and portable one at the same time but I'm sure someone will address that.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
The suggestion for a catalytic heater is one that will greatly reduce your battery use as it will serve as your heat instead of the furnace.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #49

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Hi,

Don't forget that battery capacity drops as it gets colder outside. At -40 I have about 1/6 of the run time that I have at 20 C (68 F).
Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #50

Travis,

If you have room and can afford them by far the best house battery setup is two 6v golf cart batteries wired in series. Check your nearest Costco for a best price for their batteries. They work well. Cold Cranking Amps are not what you care about. Its Amp Hours you are after.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Travis,

If you have room and can afford them by far the best house battery setup is two 6v golf cart batteries wired in series. Check your nearest Costco for a best price for their batteries. They work well. Cold Cranking Amps are not what you care about. Its Amp Hours you are after.

Jim
I dont have a Costco in my area. :-(
Old 02-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #52

YIKES!!!!! I just looked up a 6v golf cart battery and at almost $200 each, I would rather get a generator....
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #53

I don't know what kind of battery it was you saw for $200.00 but they are available for a lot less than that. Look around. Having a good battery bank or a generator is not a either/or situation. You need both if you intend to camp off-grid. If you plan to always go to places that have power posts any battery will do. Having to always have a power post will severely limit the opportunities to use inexpensive State and Federal campgrounds and they are some of the nicest places to camp.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #54

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You mentioned a bay that looked like it held genny. You could put batteries in there and the wires should lead back into the coach systems.If your not sure on the wires you could just run new ones to the fuse block. You could get away with a few CHEAP batteries to make a bank. It won't be as good as the 6 volts but should at least get you thru the night and charge in the morning.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #55

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaddinmad40 View Post
I do plug the shore power cord into the little generator, I just make sure that the A/C and other high powered items are turned off.
Actually, the little 500 watt one I have will power the converter as long as we are conservative about how many lights and things we turn on.
With ours, if you overpower it, it just pulls down and either kills the engine, or it trips the circuit breaker on it. Usually it's the breaker.
To be honest, the little thing isn't much good for anything else but charging up cell phones or powering a battery charger or a small electric fan or such. But I got it as partial payment for some work I did so I don't have but a few hours of work in it.

Anyway, I think the best bet is a small generator to keep you batteries charged up. If you are looking at newer ones, they should list how many db's of noise they make.
For example OHSA requires hearing protection for anything over 85db per 8 hour shift. A typical gasoline lawnmower is around 100 to 110db. So if you can get something cheap that's less than 100, I'd say you're doing good!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #56

While living in Alaska we could easily do 3-4 days boon docking and using heater( mostly at night without needing to charge batteries( both rigs had two 12V batteries). That was with wife and two small kids along. By myself I could go much longer as I require less power.....