Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

cargo/tow ratings

I'm looking for some feedback from class C owners that fulltime or at least have long termed (3months or more) in a class C.

Done a lot of research into what type of RV would be the best compromise for our needs & wants but still no clear direction. We are 2 older adults & an eight yr old looking to semi-fulltime with boondocking in the wilds the majority of the time. We will rent before buying but we live a considerable distance from anywhere that offers that service so that will come down the road. For the record we currently are leaning towards a 5er with an A as a distant 2nd but the A has cost & layout concerns & the 5er convenience (set-up/tear-down, size/height) concerns.

Due to our eight yr old, desire to boondock, and budget we would like to stay within, the class C is attractive but has drawbacks that appear to be a deal breaker. Before I right off this option I'd like to hear from others experience. We have scratched Super C's since they're price, size & complexity enters class A territory, although they're floorplans & carry/tow limits are well suited to our needs/wants.

#1 issue is weight/tow restriction. Although I have seen set-ups at sites & going down the road, I cannot figure out how a class C with slide outs, 3-4K #'s of personals + a toad along with solar, gen among other fulltime necessities/comforts are possible within it's limits. I would not be interested in exceeding those limits even marginally.

#2 is the holding tanks. While a distant 2nd it is still a concern. While most of our stays in one location will rarely exceed a couple weeks 30-50gal of fresh water with even less grey water ability seems inadequate. Not so concerned with black tank, personally camp style relieve does not bother me but my wife may not feel the same.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, even those that read between the lines.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing
I'm looking for some feedback from class C owners that fulltime or at least have long termed (3months or more) in a class C.

Done a lot of research into what type of RV would be the best compromise for our needs & wants but still no clear direction. We are 2 older adults & an eight yr old looking to semi-fulltime with boondocking in the wilds the majority of the time. We will rent before buying but we live a considerable distance from anywhere that offers that service so that will come down the road. For the record we currently are leaning towards a 5er with an A as a distant 2nd but the A has cost & layout concerns & the 5er convenience (set-up/tear-down, size/height) concerns.

Due to our eight yr old, desire to boondock, and budget we would like to stay within, the class C is attractive but has drawbacks that appear to be a deal breaker. Before I right off this option I'd like to hear from others experience. We have scratched Super C's since they're price, size & complexity enters class A territory, although they're floorplans & carry/tow limits are well suited to our needs/wants.

#1 issue is weight/tow restriction. Although I have seen set-ups at sites & going down the road, I cannot figure out how a class C with slide outs, 3-4K #'s of personals + a toad along with solar, gen among other fulltime necessities/comforts are possible within it's limits. I would not be interested in exceeding those limits even marginally.

#2 is the holding tanks. While a distant 2nd it is still a concern. While most of our stays in one location will rarely exceed a couple weeks 30-50gal of fresh water with even less grey water ability seems inadequate. Not so concerned with black tank, personally camp style relieve does not bother me but my wife may not feel the same.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, even those that read between the lines.
As far as the holding tanks go, weekend warriors would be your best bet. Grey water fills up quickest so if you want long term boondocking then make sure the grey water tank is at least 50 gallon. I think Weekend warriors have a large grey water holding tank.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #3

Quote:
As far as the holding tanks go, weekend warriors would be your best bet
FW5000DRIVER, TY for the reply. TT's & TH's were the first RV type to get scratched. For our needs & use TT's have limited pros with overwhelming cons.