Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Carpet to laminate conversion

Decided to get rid of the old carpet and go with the laminate from Home Depot. Most of the time was spent pulling staples. Of course I pulled the toilet and it decided to leak. While fixing the leak there I installed a valve. I also added LED'S at the steps.

Floor was a little under $200
LED'S about $20

Sorry if the photos are rotated wrong. I did this on a tablet and can't figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150411_093633.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	91387   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150404_134029.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	91388  

Name:	20150412_204600.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	91389   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150413_130116.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	91390  

Name:	20150413_125913_002.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	91391  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #2

End results are a big improvement. Are you concerned about moisture in the bathroom affecting the laminate?

Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
looks nice, the PO did that in our class c with the laminate floor and something they didn't consider was how slick the floor was going to be and when they put the ladder up to get in the overhead bunk the ladder slipped on the floor and ripped out the fasteners that attached the ladder to the bed. I replaced the fasteners and went to the pharmacy department of my local store and bought the tips you would put on a cane. Measured the diameter of the ladder legs and got the right ones, works great.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
End results are a big improvement. Are you concerned about moisture in the bathroom affecting the laminate?
This is the same product I put in my house and it's 100 % waterproof and totally rubber. I had a major leak in my house and all I had to do was lift the floor and dry it out.

I do wish I had stuck with the tongue and groove versus the stick together stuff. So far I'm very happy with the new floor.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
This is the same product I put in my house and it's 100 % waterproof and totally rubber. I had a major leak in my house and all I had to do was lift the floor and dry it out.

I do wish I had stuck with the tongue and groove versus the stick together stuff. So far I'm very happy with the new floor.
Awesome, I should've clued in when I saw the scissors.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #6

I'm looking to do exactly what you did, including the waterproof brand. Did you remove your furniture or go up against it? Did you have any bolts sticking out of the floor you had to contend with and lastly, did you put anything down before you laid the flooring? It was suggested to me to use the rubber you would put under a bathtub as an insulating base. Looks really good!
Old 04-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
I'm looking to do exactly what you did, including the waterproof brand. Did you remove your furniture or go up against it? Did you have any bolts sticking out of the floor you had to contend with and lastly, did you put anything down before you laid the flooring? It was suggested to me to use the rubber you would put under a bathtub as an insulating base. Looks really good!
I didn't remove the couch or bed. I was able to remove the lower part of the couch. This enabled me to cut the carpet back further.

A couple of the screws were a little high and I used my roto zip to flatten those. I also used the floor leveling stuff between the larger 1/8 -1/4 " gaps in the plywood.

This same stuff in my house seems to be fine in the winter over concrete so I didn't see the need to add anything underneath.

It's a little tricky having to install "backwards" in some places. It's really made to start in the left corner and work down and right. I was able to have one continuous install through the bathroom and bedroom. I ran a 12 inch sheetrock/putty knife over the floor to check for left behind staples and high spots. I also used this to help me pull the joint tight when against the walls.

Of course, as with any floating floor you have two choices at the wall/etc. Make very precise cuts and run it close or preferably put a little trim over the floor to hide the edge. I did a little of both.

Good luck. I'm sure it will look great!
Old 04-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #8

I will definitely be using trim along the wall as I'm not super precise in general. I have a Chinook so won't have too much floor space to work with. I'll be going with the "click-to-lock" planks but otherwise will do what you did.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
...... I'll be going with the "click-to-lock" planks but otherwise will do what you did.
I actually used those in my home. I prefer them actually. I did notice that the click (tongue and groove) style in stock at Home Depot were thicker than the ones I used. With all the cuts I had to make I was concerned they would be harder to work with. When you do your project cut a small piece of flooring and lock it in and give it a tap with a hammer. I found this helped in totally closing the gaps.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #10

Did you remove the carpet from the cab area and if so how to remove the darn trim
Old 04-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Did you remove the carpet from the cab area and if so how to remove the darn trim
A couple of years ago, my son replaced the carpet in the house section of my 220RK Coachmen Class C with a laminate flooring. I was amazed at how much heavier the new flooring was, than the carpet it replaced.
I replaced the cab carpeting with new carpeting. It was an easy job. I removed the seats and the trim pieces. I used the old carpet as a pattern for the new carpet. The trim pieces are secured by a number of tabs/clips into the sheet metal. You just have to be careful when feeling around for the clips that you don't break them while trying to get the trim pieces off.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I just did this, this weekend with the Traffic Master Allure in Cherry.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #13

Looks great! Good Job. Would love to redo our floors. I think our carpet is the original from 94 in our Tioga.
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1029 View Post
Looks great! Good Job. Would love to redo our floors. I think our carpet is the original from 94 in our Tioga.
Our carpet was original as well. The whole RV seems a lot cleaner and newer now. You won't be disappointed if you do it.

I also added a third row of LED'S to light up the outside step. It was like you were stepping into the black abyss. The LED project only cost about $20 dollars. The neat thing is I can leave them on all night for a night light if I want to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stairs2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	92198  

Tags
carpet