Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #15
I have a 30ft class c. Now someone said use 9 ft wire. Can't I use say 2 25 ft if I need

on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Take a good look at your firewall from the outside. In most cases there are multiple openings, most likely there is one that isn't being used. Find one and then check the inside under the dash to make sure you can get to it. To check I used a small stiff wire (cloths hanger) and poked it through. If you can get it through and find it on the other side you should be able to attach the antenna to it and pull it through.

I bought a 24" Firestix for my Class A, I already had a mount on top. It did seem to help my reception. I bought a SWR meter to tune it as best I could. Best I could do was get the high & low channels to 1.9 and channel 19 to 1.5, still better then what it was.

Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #17
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On2thenext, what Bigdaddy said was to use in 9' increments. So no, you could not use two 25 footers.
Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #18
Okay so I should buy 5 -9ft and attached them together. Why is that?
on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #19
Originally Posted by on2thenext View Post
Okay so I should buy 5 -9ft and attached them together. Why is that?
LOL, you don't have to buy 9' pieces and hook them together, you have to use the cable in 9' increments, such as 9,18,27,36,45 foot lengths. Buy the length that is closest in a 9' increment and use it with out triming any off.

Their are a couple outfits that sell a kit with a mount and antenna and wire already in a package and you can buy extension cable already in 9' increments.

CB Antennas & CB Radios | CB World
CB Radios & CB Antennas - Cobra, Uniden, Wilson, K40 & Firestik

Amazon has some good deals also.

The adjustable Firestik that was mentioned is a good choice, easy to adjust with an SWR meter.
2005 Cross Country SE 376ds (Sold)
2015 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
2015 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #20
I wanted to install a CB antenna to my 30' fiberglass roof and was stymied re: how to do it. A Boondockers Welcome fellow stayed in my driveway and helped me w/the problem. We purchased a 2' by 2' piece of steel from a junk yard and glued it to the roof of the rig. [I check the staying power of the steel a few times a year, and all is well!] Next, we glued the magnetic antenna I had to the steel; we also secured with strong tape. The CB antenna wire was trimmed in order to remove the plug-in so as to be able to run it through the rig w/o having to create a huge hole. We then drilled a couple of holes in the vent near where the antenna was located. Running the wire through the vent and into coach, we were able to snake it through air vents and into the cab, using the door frame as needed. From there, we were able to snake it into the dash, of course re-attaching the necessary connection that plugged into the CB. It was a lot of work. Thankfully, I had a brave, competent helper, who just took on the project. I've had this for over a year, and all's well.
Siebrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #21
I put mine on the hood, "Unicorn" style and bring the wire in through the drivers door jamb.

It works fine.

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #22
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you tell us what brand & model CB you have or want to buy.
Is the cab of your class C steel or fiberglass?
A NGP (Non Ground Plane Antenna) is used on fiberglass bodies. If mounting to steel ensure you have an excellent ground and the body/frame is your ground plane.

Better yet before you do anything go to Firestik Antenna Company Home Page and start reading. The site should answer most if not all of your questions. Depending on your CB you may be able to tune it yourself. I have an old model Cobra 29, I was able to calibrate and set my own swr. But get educated on the firestix site.
Good Luck

Bilgerat: Chuck, Kassie, Freddie, Lady, Prince, Smokey, Merlin
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36', V-10, Banks, Onan 5500, Blue Ox, 2014 Forester, SKP 130599, FT'ing 2+Yrs.
Bilgerat is offline   Reply With Quote