RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #1

CB Radio Install?

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SA - Class C

Want to install a CB and looking for simple install I can do myself. Have the CB radio and mont figured out but big question is where/how to mount antenna.

Looking for something as simple to install as possible, even if it doesn't look as slick/factory. Would rather not drill holes in the sides of the MH if I can help it.

BUT, at the same time want something that gives good reception and is tight/secure.

Any advice on mount and type/model of antenna appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you don't drill a hole, routing the cord into the cab limits your options. If you've got steel, you could use a magnetic mount. You might also look at side mirror mounted antennas, but the best performing antenna should be mounted high and on a large ground plane.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

RV Jeeper, crawl up on top and see if you have a Satellite connector at the front edge of your forward roof vent. We did and since we weren't going to ever put a sat dish there pulled our cell booster coax through that hole and sealed a plate over it.
The magnetic antenna base is on a 2' x 2' piece of galvanized sheet painted white and fastened with 3M VHB tape. This would work for your CB too.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
RV Jeeper, crawl up on top and see if you have a Satellite connector ......This would work for your CB too.
Pic of base for magnetic ant.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1539272923006.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	222213
Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I use a through the glass CB antenna. I'd estimate the range at 1 mile max. (Std 4 watt transmitter)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #6

Several years ago when I had a CB, I mounted the antenna "Unicorn" style on the hood.

I ran the wire under the hood, around to the drivers door and inside to the CB.

It worked very well.

Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford e450 has a plastic hood, no ground plane
avfordguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:30 PM   #8

Does anyone still use a CB? Just asking?
eddndee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
I have one in my RV, but seldom turn it on. The crudity of the truckers turns my ears blue. Since my CB also has a weather channel, I've used it for that.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
Truck drivers still use them, but not for all the conversation and chat like in the 80’s. Still very useful for traffic and road conditions info. We use the MH to travel to Jeep Jamborees where every Jeep is required to have a CB for communication on the trail. Consequently most Jeepers have them and use them.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJeeper18 View Post
2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SA - Class C

Want to install a CB and looking for simple install I can do myself. Have the CB radio and mont figured out but big question is where/how to mount antenna.

Looking for something as simple to install as possible, even if it doesn't look as slick/factory. Would rather not drill holes in the sides of the MH if I can help it.

BUT, at the same time want something that gives good reception and is tight/secure.

Any advice on mount and type/model of antenna appreciated.
No Drill CB Radio and Antenna installation
Motor Home with drivers side slide out.

My buddy and I who travel together wanted something that offered instant communication and that meant a CB radio. But neither of us wanted to drill holes in our coach's.
Well we worked up a plan and just this last weekend installed CB's and we are now doing up a PDF to share for those who want a CB but don't want to drill holes.
Wrangler338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler338 View Post

My buddy and I who travel together wanted something that offered instant communication and that meant a CB radio. But neither of us wanted to drill holes in our coach's.
Well we worked up a plan and just this last weekend installed CB's and we are now doing up a PDF to share for those who want a CB but don't want to drill holes.
Look forward to seeing your work!!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #13

Subscribed.

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #14

Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler338 View Post

INSTRUCTIONS

Motor Home with driver’s side slide out

PARTS LIST
• 22 gauge 3ft X 3ft metal – not aluminum, needs to be magnetic
• RV roof calking
• Two sided 3M tape
• Wilson magnetic CB antenna (Model #)
• White spray paint or color to match roof
• Denatured alcohol
• CB radio

I started this project when I decided I was not going to drill holes in my new diesel
pusher motorhome as I did in my old Class A gasser for a CB radio.
A buddy of mine who also had purchased a new diesel pusher felt the same way so we
begin looking for ways to communicate while traveling down the highway.
None of the hand held type FM radios worked consistently nor our cell phones. The
drawback to the cell phones are you don’t have instant communications and there are
still areas in the United States that may have dead zones.
I watched a YouTube video one day and saw an individual was using a 12” X 12” piece
of galvanized metal has a base for a magnetic CB antenna on his RV but he still drilled
the hole to run the coax cable.
Then the light bulb came on, why could we not attach that metal plate on top of the RV
near the driver side slide out, and then run the coax cable through the rubber side seals
of the slide-out portion and into the interior of the coach.
We then contacted a ham radio shop and talk to an expert about our idea and the size of
metal plate we would need that would work properly with a magnetic CB antenna. The
conclusion was nothing smaller than a 3‘ x 3‘ square of galvanized metal.
So here is how we did it.
We started off by cleaning both sides of the metal plate with denatured alcohol,
scrubbed both sides clean. We then painted both sides with white spray paint. This was
done to help protect the metal from rusting.
We then used the 3M two-sided tape on the side to be facing down on the roof. We ran
the tape along each side approximately 1 inch from the edge of the metal plate. We also
ran tape from each corner to make an X for extra adhesiveness of the metal plate.
Next came the roof prepping. We washed the roof with soap and water in the area where
we would be placing the galvanized metal sheet. After drying we then used denatured
alcohol in that same area.
Then we removed the film from the two-sided tape and positioned the metal plate on the
roof. Walking on the metal plate also helps the tape to make contact with the roofing
material.
We then used Dicor self leveling roof caulk generously applied to seal the edges of the metal plate to the roof. You want to be sure to cover all the edges of the metal plate so air cannot get under the plate and cause it to lift and fly off.
We chose not to use metal screws to hold the metal plate in position feeling that its
located on top of the roof would be far enough away from the front that no air would be
able to get up underneath it to lift it. This will be check periodically during our travels to
see if we will need to use metal screws.
Next is the CB antenna.
We chose the Wilson brand which comes with approximately a little over 15 feet of
coaxial cable.
We placed the antenna in the middle of the metal sheet and ran the coaxial cable to the
front portion of the drivers side slide out. You can use some of the roofing caulk or
silicone to hold the cable down as your running it off the roof towards the slide out.
To hold the cable in position we used some more of the two-sided tape and we’ll go back
and put silicone as extra hold for the cable.
We then ran the cable inside the rubber seal for the slide out until we passed it through
to the interior.
In the interior of the coach, we again use some two-sided tape to hold the cable as it was
ran from the interior portion of the slide out towards the CB radio.
Once you pass the coaxial cable into the coach interior the cable will dictate the position
of your CB radio. I chose mount my CB radio to the left of the drivers seat. He chose to
place his in the center console between the front seats.
After the mount has been completed, be sure to check the SWR of the antenna to
ensure it is tuned for maximum efficiency. Tuning the SWR means lengthening or
shortening the antenna for a reading of 2.0 or less. A reading more than 2.0 can
seriously affect your signal.
We hope this write up will be helpful.
Roy Bertolucci
Paul Dumke

2016 Thor Tuscany 40GQ
Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, radio