Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
CB Radio Installation

I am looking to install a CB radio in my 22' class C. I need help with antenna choice and mounting location. I am looking at either mounting a 4' antenna near the front hood or a very long antenna off the frame at the rear. I know nothing about CB radios and need a good info source to become better informed before I do something wrong.

TJRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Go with the Cobra Radio, its the best for the money, if traveling with another rv'er in a differnt vehical, you may want to think about the upper & lower channels on the radio, back in the '70s they went from a standard 23 channel then the CB craze came in, when everone had to have one, so the FCC raise the channel to 40, now there is uppers & lowers ( side band) too, I have this.
mount the unit is in need of care, it should not be obstructing your view, windshield, sidewindows, mirrors & operation of your brake/fuel pedals either, with this in mind: under the dash ( be sure you are not hitting your knees) or on the dash, perhaps overhead too depending on the sytle of your RV. to hook the CB you need a live wire, one that is ( depending on what you like) hot, either live or live when the vehical is running, and of course the ground wire connecting to the vehical itself. if you choice to have a live wire, ( able to turn the radio on without the vehical keys) be sure to turn it off when not in use, if you forget you may run down the battery.
As for the 4' antenna, again depending on your mirror brakect, unless you have an older RV you won't be able to mount on the mirror, the RV industruies (and perhaps they are doing it now, not sure) need to take the ideal of the truckers as ours if you notice is mounted on/in the mirror cover. the old way was a bracket. as for the whip in back, besure to to put a tennis ball (about mid-way)or something to that nature, and secure the top section to prevent the "WHIP" as you drive down the road, the tennis ball is to prevent the scrathes on the RV, the securement is to prevent the the antenna being a few feet back of the vehical as you drive down the road, also not "WHIPPING AROUND" , and of course this is what cause the slang word "whip" for this type of antenna. one word of caution after helping my friend installing his, I notice as soon as the radio was installed he turn it on without the antenna connected, you don't want to do that. now if you do connect the radio don't be alram if it don't work, as many radios need the mike to be hooked up too, if you blow a fuse you need to check your wires for the hot wire ( postive/red) is grounding somewhere. Also many RV'ers like the bilt in weather station, as a professional driver we always had it built in our radios, ( am/fm radios) myself, I rather spend the extra money for uppers & lowers ( aka sideband), my radio is peaked out with reverb,echo box, side band, & skip channels, running a K-40 antenna mounted on the top left side, as a RV'er and evan as a trucker I didn't need that much power, the fact is most drivers don't use the radios anymore unless they need to, with all the rubbish on it. but its good to have it. They can be fun but can be annoying too, oh you may want to pick up an external speaker also, this will help you hear better and not lose your hearing, you will notice that alot of truckers have one,you have mount the radio in a place where the CB speaker can be muffled, and because the speaker on the CB is mounted under the radio not in front , you won't need anything fancy, but there are speakers one is called talk back, this speaker you are able to hear yourself on the radio as well as others, downfall, put the mike by the speaker & you get a feedback if you key the mike.or the speaker is to close. if you go with the whip, I belive you will wire the the coax under the vehical, use split loom to protect the coax, its pretty cheap. I hope this will help you as you will need to peak the attenna out , with the fiber glass you need to ( some) cut the tip notice the little cover on the top, its removable this is where you do the cut, don't cut to much, a little at a time, to much, you may need to purchase a new attenna,this is called matching the attenna to the radio or tuning it, wire atenna will use a allen wrench to adust it by moving up and down.
As for the magent base mount, well I seen the drivers going down the road at 50 to 60 mph and a truck zooms pass them the antenna falls off, and of course if you put cloth under the magnet to prevent scratches, you are defeeting the purpose of the magnet, as its not strong holding in place. You metion also mounting the antenna near the front hood, to be honeswt I don't know if you are willing to drill holes or if you plan to mount on the front bumper, as for the window atenna I don't know anything about it.
I hope I have answered your questions and this has helped you. good luck
swamphog is offline   Reply With Quote