Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #1

Changing a flat

I Don't have one right now thank goodness but How hard if possible is it to change a flat on a class c 30ft I am new at this are their ramps or jacks that i can purchase and what would I need as far as tools compressor what size compressor any ideas comments or would I have to call AAA? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #2

Those tires are way too heavy fir me, and I cannot torque the lug nuts well enough.

Just sign up for road side service with Coachnet or Good Sam. About $100 per year. If you have a spare, the change it without a fee. Also provides towing in case of a breakdown.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

Hi, although I have a rescue service in my insurance I carry a ten ton capacity bottle jack, sockets, long breaker bar and torque wrench. I am 69 but can still manage the wheels even though my spare is on the roof. Heavy work for a not so young un
Old 04-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #4

I changed flats on my class c on a regular basis it seems. Every year we go to Oshkosh to the EAA fly-in. I had to change, ATLEAST one flat tire EVERY year.

Had to change right rear inside one time on the way home from Branson. Wife and 3 young girls on board. It was 108 deg and I had a cast on a broken wrist. Had to put a larger block under the 12 ton bottle jack because it was squishing into the hot asphalt!
Old 04-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryhuk View Post
Hi, although I have a rescue service in my insurance I carry a ten ton capacity bottle jack, sockets, long breaker bar and torque wrench. I am 69 but can still manage the wheels even though my spare is on the roof. Heavy work for a not so young un

^^This.

Many places we go a road-service place wouldn't come to anyway. It's tough, the wheels weigh about 120lbs, and the 10 lug nuts are torqued to 475ft lbs (class-A with 19.5" wheels).

I invested in a 8-ton bottle jack, 4' breaker bar with stand/support for the pivot (used on buses) and the right size socket. Was about $100-$150 but I can change my own spare out wherever we are. I don't buy roadside services, figure I'll save my own bacon if need be.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Class C wheels and tires aren't light, but they are doable. To the above I would seriously recommend A JACK STAND rated to hold your rig. You might try it in your driveway to be sure you have the proper tools to do the job.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #7

The best part of having RSA is the free tow when you break down. Can save hundreds!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #8

I agree on the axle stand but very bulky to store in locker. I would only ever change a wheel in an emergency if rescue service failed.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I agree on the axle stand but very bulky to store in locker. I would only ever change a wheel in an emergency if rescue service failed.
Changing a tire on a car, I'd agree. But the large sail-like side of an RV can be pushed in a wind gust enough to have the rig wiggle off a jack. Happened to me in WY two years ago. I had suggested to the tire service man I could lift the RV with my leveling jacks, but he continued to struggle with his bottle jack. Had the rear dual off when a gust blew it off the jack. The RV dropped down onto the axle, we thought it was going to roll on to us! Luckily the only damage was the top hinge on the refrigerator. I found room to carry a 12 ton jack stand.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, our leveling jacks will lift the coach. Between them and a bottle jack I'm covered for a flat change.

Interesting about the wind. Wow.

Coming home from Death Valley last weekend there was road construction on Hwy 395 - they have moved the two lanes over off center and put k-rails to seperate the construction. The problem is there is no shoulder for several miles on one side, and stationary cones on the other with NO place to pull off. I thought to myself gee, what happens if someone gets a flat in here? I think it was horrible planning on the part of the construction engineers.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Changing a flat on a MH is not some sort of industrial operation. Yes, the wheels are a lot heavier than a car, but if you work smart it's not all that bad.
Of course, if you have no upper body strength, or have a physical disability it could be extremely difficult, if not impossible, and you should have a road service change it for you.
The last flat I had, I changed from start to finish in about a half an hour. I'd almost bet that it would have taken twice as long for the road service to even show up.
To each his own, but changing a flat is VERY doable with the proper tools and a little knowledge.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My leveling jacks will lift wheels depending on the slope. I have a 20 ton bottle jack, and the coach came with lug wrench to fit the nuts on the 22.5" wheels. I also have a 30" cheater I created years ago from two pieces of pipe. It telescopes out to about 4'. I changed big tires w/o fancy tools in a truck stop in my early 20's. Now in my 60's I would give my Coach-Net road service a chance before I went it. But I went several places last year where road service would likely have been useless even if I had found some way to call them...