Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

Charge wire for the toad

Hi all, I am setting up our Hyundai Veloster as our toad. Got all the Blue OX hardware done and am starting the wiring. There is a pin on the rv side of the 7 pin connector that has 12 v on it when rv is running. Can I run that to the toad battery to keep it charged while towing ? I'm sure I'll need something to offset the drain from parasitic and break controller loads. Thanks !!
5winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #2

5winds-

This link shows the standard 7-pin connector wiring. The 12V charge line is in the one o'clock position when looking into the coach's connector. Is that where you measured the 12V?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #3

Yup, that's the one...
5winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the RVi Toad Battery Charger
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #5

Yes you can use that charge wire to keep toads battery charged. Best to use it thru a toad battery charger as was posted. The RVI Toad Battery Charger as mentioned is what I use---same set up as you plan on running.
6 years now and still working as new.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #6

5winds-

As a minimum, a charge line should have a fuse close to the battery at each end. 15A is "the usual." Some have used self-resetting circuit breakers. They work well, but have been implicated in one toad fire reported on iRV2.

Sometimes a diode is called-for, but not often. Our coach needs a diode.

A device like the RVI Toad Battery Charger or the LSL Toad Charge is optional. I installed one on our coach. It provides the diode function.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Just as "live free or die" (Mark) said, I have been using a charge line within a 7 pin cable, no single issue in 6 years. 15A fuse on each end to protect the wire, and a diode right before the connector to the toad battery. All is good.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
YC1

Since the charge voltage is present you do not need to isolate the toad battery. I changed my charge line to be hot all the time. My rv is a monster with plenty of batteries and systems so I do not worry about running the RV down under any conditions.\

My toad is a power hungry pig and without a good charge line the battery is dead in a day. Yes the battery is just fine folks. It is a Ford Edge Limited with keyless ignition. It just likes to keep things alive when towing.

I highly recommend a fuse or a breaker near the toad battery of course.

The breaker on my toad charge line could have saved my vehicle today as we discuss this. My heavy duty charge plug actually decided to break off the pin of the charge line connector at the toad. It did not short to any metal or at least there is no evidence of it. Had it done so the breaker would have protected me.

The toad battery was dead so the break happened early in the day. A good reason for an even closer inspection when we stop for breaks. I do a walk around but somehow missed it.

All is good but my tools, voltmeter, and small torch saved the day.

Cheers, have fun.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:33 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
5winds-

As a minimum, a charge line should have a fuse close to the battery at each end. 15A is "the usual." Some have used self-resetting circuit breakers. They work well, but have been implicated in one toad fire reported on iRV2.

A device like the RVI Toad Battery Charger or the LSL Toad Charge is optional. I installed one on our coach. It provides the diode function.
Mark, what determines whether a coach needs a diode or not?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Just as "live free or die" (Mark) said...
Thanks for translating that! I have been looking at that screen name for quite a while trying to figure it out.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Mark, what determines whether a coach needs a diode or not?
It depends on whether or not you want to leave the umbilical connected when the coach is shut off. If you disconnect, no need for a diode.

If you keep the coach and toad connected (we do), then it depends on the circuit. If it is ignition-switched, and the charge line is the only wire on the circuit, a diode is not needed. If it's not ignition-switched, then someone may want a diode in the circuit, to keep the coach from pulling starting current from the toad battery.

Or. it's coach-specific. Certain years of Monaco coaches (including ours) provide the charge line 12V from a bus off an ignition-switched relay. Applying 12V to the toad end of the charge line will supply 12V to any of the other circuits attached to the same bus. For those who may connect their coach-toad umbilicals before starting the coach, or leave their umbilicals connected overnight, this could be a problem. A diode at the toad end fixes this problem.

See this post for a diagram of the problem.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
5winds-

That LSL toad charge connections are a piece of junk. Half the time I would have a dead battery. Good product but crappie connectors.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:32 AM   #13

I used the RVI Brake charge controller. It comes with everything you need plus there is an indicator light so you know the connection is good.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
And very reasonable priced but this one is eaven cheaper.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Brake...-p/19-3252.htm
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad