Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #1

Charging house batteries during winter storage

My 2007 Outlook is in storage for the winter. The chassis battery just died and I plan to replace it in the Spring.

1.) I plugged into shore power with the AUX switch OFF. Will the house batteries charge when the AUX is in the off position?

2.) I believe the house battery charges the generator start switch. Is that correct?

3.) Do people suggest leaving the RV plugged into shore power over the winter? If so, should the AUX switch be turned ON or OFF?

Thanks!

Tom
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine is plugged in, not winterized and everything left on including the home refer. I do turn the AquaHot on and set the thermostat for it's minimum of 45°.
We have a mild climate here and going overnight into below freezing temps and warming above freezing in the daytime doesn't require any heat. I've seen 25° in the morning outside and my interior temp and wet bay are in the low 40's without heat.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #3

Tom-

I have read that a healthy battery, fully-charged, will lose about 3 to 5 percent of its charge per month, and not freeze. If so, you can just remove the ground connection on each bank and let them sleep during the winter.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #4

Good to information to know. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #5

I have power available at my metal carport RV cover. I have done what you did keeping it plugged in for storage in the past and things went pretty well. But I have had short lived starting battery issues each spring had to replace. I started disconnecting all the batteries and rotating a Battery Tender between them. This always provides a better charge on all the batteries so this is what I do now. Coach batteries are 5 years old chassis battery 2 years.
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #6

an Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer will keep your chassis battery charged while plugged into shore power. been using one for years.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #7

Hmmm... I leave my coach plugged in all winter and don’t flip the salesman switch to off. I also have a 110 volt heater running... am I setting myself up for failure?
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Tom-
I have read that a healthy battery, fully-charged, will lose about 3 to 5 percent of its charge per month, and not freeze. If so, you can just remove the ground connection on each bank and let them sleep during the winter.
The self-discharge rate can be as high as 7-8% per month depending on a number of parameters including the temperature. You'd be surprised as to how much drain a layer of road grime across the top of a battery causes. I spent one summer back in high school working for an auto electrical shop, and learned a lot about phantom loads, car batteries and automotive electrics. I've seen a 1/3 amp drain due to just damp dirt across the top of a battery.

If I were to park my MH for any length of time here's what I would do...

I'd disconnect both the house and chassis battery negative cables, then hook one Deltran Battery Tender across the house battery, and a second one across the chassis battery, right from positive to negative posts. An extension cord would connect the two Deltrans to shore power. Alternatively you could use one Battery Tender and use jumper cables between the two batteries to parallel them for the duration.

The Deltran is the only thing connected to the battery in this mode.

When you put the coach back in service you unhook the Deltrans and reconnect the negative cables. That's all it takes.

This technique just plain works. It's what I set up on a big truck a friend has in storage. It's been that way for 5 years. The battery was 4 years old when it went into storage and as of a few weeks ago it's still good. Yes, not having battery power is inconvenient when you have to visit... there's no lighting, no nothing... you have to use a headlamp. But there are no parasitic/phantom loads to worry about

I've used various models of the Deltran Battery Tender for over 25 years and never had a problem. They just plain work. I can't say the same thing about other brands - especially the Wal-Mart house brand ones and the Harbor Freight ones - one of theirs killed a friends 3-month-old motorcycle battery... overcharged it until it bulged the case.

You can get the Deltrans at Amazon and at WalMart. Every so often WM sells the $48 Deltran 3 amp unit for $38... they did this just a few months ago for a weekend - I bought 6... 4 are going as Christmas presents for fellow car nut and ham radio friends and the rest as raffle prizes for two different ham radio club Christmas dinners.
See here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-T...3Amp/124257731
and here: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...tery+tender+3a
Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
The self-discharge rate can be as high as 7-8% per month depending on a number of parameters including the temperature. You'd be surprised as to how much drain a layer of road grime across the top of a battery causes. I spent one summer back in high school working for an auto electrical shop, and learned a lot about phantom loads, car batteries and automotive electrics. I've seen a 1/3 amp drain due to just damp dirt across the top of a battery.

If I were to park my MH for any length of time here's what I would do...

I'd disconnect both the house and chassis battery negative cables, then hook one Deltran Battery Tender across the house battery, and a second one across the chassis battery, right from positive to negative posts. An extension cord would connect the two Deltrans to shore power. Alternatively you could use one Battery Tender and use jumper cables between the two batteries to parallel them for the duration.

The Deltran is the only thing connected to the battery in this mode.

When you put the coach back in service you unhook the Deltrans and reconnect the negative cables. That's all it takes.

This technique just plain works. It's what I set up on a big truck a friend has in storage. It's been that way for 5 years. The battery was 4 years old when it went into storage and as of a few weeks ago it's still good. Yes, not having battery power is inconvenient when you have to visit... there's no lighting, no nothing... you have to use a headlamp. But there are no parasitic/phantom loads to worry about

I've used various models of the Deltran Battery Tender for over 25 years and never had a problem. They just plain work. I can't say the same thing about other brands - especially the Wal-Mart house brand ones and the Harbor Freight ones - one of theirs killed a friends 3-month-old motorcycle battery... overcharged it until it bulged the case.

You can get the Deltrans at Amazon and at WalMart. Every so often WM sells the $48 Deltran 3 amp unit for $38... they did this just a few months ago for a weekend - I bought 6... 4 are going as Christmas presents for fellow car nut and ham radio friends and the rest as raffle prizes for two different ham radio club Christmas dinners.
See here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-T...3Amp/124257731
and here: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...tery+tender+3a
This is very helpful. I am considering buying a battery tender. I also plan to be in the RV a few hours a month doing some renovation. Perhaps charging the RV battery here and there will be sufficient. Either way, I plan to buy the battery tender
Old 12-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
an Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer will keep your chassis battery charged while plugged into shore power. been using one for years.
I just purchased a trickle charger. It didn't do the trick...it turns out the chassis battery was already dead and not coming back to life. I plan to use my trickle charger for the new battery. Does the product you referenced possess additional qualities a typical 10 amp charger does not?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #11

it diverts a small amount of energy that would otherwise be used to charge/mantain the house battery(ies) to keep the chassis battery topped off and ready to go. it's not designed or intended...AFAIK...to fully charge a depleted battery. once installed its automatic. install is EZ.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #12

Last couple of winters just fully charged the coach batteries (two) Class C and removed both the positive and negative cables to be safe, same with the chassis battery after fully charged with a charger, open a quick disconnect on the positive side. All the batteries are still charged in the spring
stshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #13

Battery switch needs to be on to charge.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Tom-

I agree although I have no idea about the 3-5% loss of charge specifically. I’m in the northeast and I have never done anything but winterize the coach and walk away until spring. Never hooked up this or disconnected that, etc. RV parked outside. I replace the batteries about every 5 years.
PappyWood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries, storage, winter