Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 05:32 AM   #1

charging house battery

I have a 2014 Thor Chateau, after replacing the isolator solenoid the battery charges while engine is running. Battery charges when plugged in to shore power, also when generator is running. My question is what protects battery and other parts of system if driving and running generator (for AC) at the same time ?

Thanks in advance
Steve
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #2

Protects the battery from what?

Your house battery is connected to both the converter / inverter and, through the isolator relay, the alternator and chassis battery.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwiz View Post
I have a 2014 Thor Chateau, after replacing the isolator solenoid the battery charges while engine is running. Battery charges when plugged in to shore power, also when generator is running. My question is what protects battery and other parts of system if driving and running generator (for AC) at the same time ?

Thanks in advance
Steve
like my question said, if house battery is getting charged from 2 sources, what protects the battery and/or charging system from conflicting with each other (vehicle alternator & generator through inverter/charger)?
Old 12-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve, does your Coach charge the batteries when the generator is running? What does your manual say? If so, this will explain the operation to you.......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BIRD SYSTEM GENSET.pdf (89.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

Quote:
like my question said, if house battery is getting charged from 2 sources, what protects the battery and/or charging system from conflicting with each other (vehicle alternator & generator through inverter/charger)?
If I correctly understand your question, your batteries are charged by either source, whichever is producing more current. There's no conflict. At least, that's how both my solar installations work.

My 2006 WGO View 23J (For Sale) has a Kyocera 135W panel. When the engine is running, the alternator charges both the house and coach batteries. When the engine is off, the solar charges the house batteries. It's works exactly the same on my new-to-me 2010 WGO Vista 30W except it has a 235W panel.

EDIT: There have been times while driving in extreme heat when I want the coach A/C helping the chassis air. In that situation, I have the alternator, generator and solar, all trying to recharge the coach batteries at the same time, if the batteries need it. If the batteries are fully charged, the converter senses that and simply drops the charge voltage to ~13.2V maintenance voltage. The solar controller works the same way. There is no conflict.

Lee
2006 WGO View 23J (For Sale)
2010 WGO Vista 30W (love the space, hate the 8MPG)
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi Steve, does your Coach charge the batteries when the generator is running? What does your manual say? If so, this will explain the operation to you.......
yes it does charge when the generator is running, through the inverter/charger. Where would the bi-directional isolator relay be located?
The isolator relay is under the hood, which cuts in and out depending on vehicle battery voltage, would it also have a bi-directional relay as well?
thanks for the reply
Steve

Old 12-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
yes it does charge when the generator is running, through the inverter/charger. Where would the bi-directional isolator relay be located?
The isolator relay is under the hood, which cuts in and out depending on vehicle battery voltage, would it also have a bi-directional relay as well?
thanks for the reply
Steve

I can not help you with the location, or if you have one........going back to your original question though, Generator running and the engine running...... I would think there is something to control the voltage going to the batteries from the 2 when both are running.......
Old 12-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #8

I have been trying to contact Thor's senior tech, but he wont answer his phone, only voice mail-and we all know how customer service is with Thor !!

thanks for the replies
Steve
Old 12-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I see you posted you question over on the Thor website forum......Maybe someone over there can answer your question for you.......Let us know what you find out....
Old 12-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I see you posted you question over on the Thor website forum......Maybe someone over there can answer your question for you.......Let us know what you find out....
I will
Old 05-31-2015, 06:30 AM   #11

In general, ALL charging sources; generator, alternator, converter, solar have their own voltage regulation on their charging systems. Once the set point voltage is reached whether it be bulk or float voltage, the current drops off and maintains that set point voltage. The current supplied by each source will vary by the specific set point but the batteries will not be overcharged regardless.

Is there a specific problem that you are encountering or is this just a general question?
Old 05-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #12

Quote:
I have been trying to contact Thor's senior tech, but he wont answer his phone, only voice mail-and we all know how customer service is with Thor !!

thanks for the replies
Steve

We've had excellent customer service from Thor.
wbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #13

I would say that your converter/charger controls the charge to the battery. The generator and alternator are not directly connected to the battery. They go through the electrical system via your converter/charger and that unit properly controls what goes to the battery and recognizes when it is full and limits it's further charging.

Just a stab. I could be wrong.
wbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwood View Post
I would say that your converter/charger controls the charge to the battery. The generator and alternator are not directly connected to the battery. They go through the electrical system via your converter/charger and that unit properly controls what goes to the battery and recognizes when it is full and limits it's further charging.

Just a stab. I could be wrong.
Generator yes (as well as 110 volt AC plug in). Alternator and solar are completely independent of the convertor and have their own regulators (in a solar system it is called a charge controller). Regardless, whether you have one of more charging at the same time, the regulators will sense the voltage and work accordingly and will not overcharge the battery.

Tags
battery, charging